Sign in to follow this  
peroni

What's in 12.1.0? Official info

From the X-Plane discord channel, an official source, reposting it here

What's in 12.1.0?

Improvements to real weather [We're going to be doing changes to how our cloud data is interpreted and blended.]
Improved cloud shadows on water
Bloom
RCAS [Subtle sharpening : https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-cas/]
Exterior and cockpit shadows improved. Edges are now nice and soft
New "Modern collector" [See Q&A 2 for more information.]
Water opacity/turbidity
Depth of field/Exposure controls [These are optional]
MSAA Improvements : MSAA and FXAA now mixed, MSAA for transparent items improved, photometrically correct resolution.
AMD SSAO fix
And some more unconfirmed items that will be revealed closer to the time...

What's absolutely NOT in 12.1.0?

Volumetric lights [Maya and Dan are currently looking at making this faster and with less artefacts], Lighting recalibration e.g. dark cockpits
Why? : We want to reign in the lighting without constantly disrupting developers and our audience

Volumetric fog, Weather API/Weather Radar
Why? : We are undergoing substantial changes to the way we interpret/render weather effects. Once we land on a consistent foundation, then we'll open the floodgates to allow people to inject their own weather or build their own radars. Jan in particular is very eager to stamp out current issues.

When?

Anticipating Q1 2024, but "C'est la vie". 12.1.0 still needs some oven time, and then go through alpha testing before we get to beta. Laminar will also be busy during February at a conference.

Edited by peroni
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great news! Lots of thing the community was eagerly expecting. And yet more planned for later.

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, peroni said:

Improved cloud shadows on water

This for me wraps up the last of the big graphics issues that remain that really needed attention. That's not to diminish the importance of the others, but of all the complaints @turbomax brought up over the last year, the lack of shadowing on water bodies really spoilt for me what would otherwise be highly realistic scenes whenever you are near water.

I'm in that camp that appreciates the realism of the "dark cockpits" - especially as a VR user. I hope they can provide some kind of option for those not in that camp that makes them happy, but not sure what that will be for reasons done to death.

really hoping this year is more about scenery and avionics.

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

I see they removed networking again!

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

30 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Doesnt mean its not being worked on.

42 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Don't think that was ever on the list for 12.1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Looking forward to the new water. As of now, it's very boring to look at.

Until it gets improved for good, as a stopgap, cockpits can be made slightly lighter by decreasing shadow levels in clear weather:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/279844-cockpits-too-dark-in-xplane-12-cockpit-lights-seem-to-be-related-to-the-airport_lights/&do=findComment&comment=2657572

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

17 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Don't think that was ever on the list for 12.1

Yep, it was at the bottom of 12.1 on their blog until they changed it recently. 

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

30 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Doesnt mean its not being worked on.

Well, we've been waiting years so what's a few more I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Yep, it was at the bottom of 12.1 on their blog until they changed it recently. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20231003185640/https://www.x-plane.com/2023/10/coming-in-x-plane-12-0-8-and-beyond-roadmap-update/

Internet archive disagrees with that statement. But I can see where the confusion might come from. Maybe a few tweaks to the html formatting would have been slightly beneficial. Message hasn't changed though.

Edited by blingthinger

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

12 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20231003185640/https://www.x-plane.com/2023/10/coming-in-x-plane-12-0-8-and-beyond-roadmap-update/

Internet archive disagrees with that statement. But I can see where the confusion would come from. Maybe a few tweaks to the html formatting would have been slightly beneficial. Message hasn't changed though.

Do you see what is listed under 12.08? Networking. These fixes don't include the obvious like vehicles disappearing or morphing into another vehicle. Gates don't exists on the networked computers once you leave the departure airport, clouds don't match most of the time, rain don't match. lighting don't match... The list goes on and on.

So what did they sync? Only difference I see is when the server isn't connected, it goes into standby mode.

Networking and Ex-Visual Sync

…have both received a bunch of bug fixes to improve the experience when using X-Plane in setups that include multiple computers driving multiple monitors.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

7 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Do you see what is listed under 12.08? Networking. These fixes don't include the obvious like vehicles disappearing or morphing into another vehicle. Gates don't exists on the networked computers once you leave the departure airport, clouds don't match most of the time, rain don't match. lighting don't match... The list goes on and on.

Networking and Ex-Visual Sync

…have both received a bunch of bug fixes to improve the experience when using X-Plane in setups that include multiple computers driving multiple monitors.

wat? I'm confused about why you're confused. They were clearly intentionally vague with that 12.0.8 blurb. "A bunch"? You're injecting massive networking fixes into "a bunch"?? I see nothing to justify your frustration on this one.

They didn't change the blog as you claimed and if anything, the updates you're screaming for might come after 12.1.0. 

1 minute ago, blingthinger said:

wat? I'm confused about why you're confused. They were clearly intentionally vague with that 12.0.8 blurb. "A bunch"? You're injecting massive networking fixes into "a bunch"?? I see nothing to justify your frustration on this one.

They didn't change the blog as you claimed and if anything, the updates you're screaming for might come after 12.1.0. 

It's now "DEAD LAST" on their list with zero version number, so that "might" I now believe will turn out to be nothing more than wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

It's now "DEAD LAST" on their list with zero version number, so that "might" I now believe will turn out to be nothing more than wishful thinking.

It never wasn't dead last on that blog post. Hence my confusion on your confusion. But all this is besides the fact that they do in fact have a new networking dev and said dev is in fact not laying out on the beach every day.

3 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

It never wasn't dead last on that blog post. Hence my confusion on your confusion. But all this is besides the fact that they do in fact have a new networking dev and said dev is in fact not laying out on the beach every day.

Then how can it be in 12.08 and dead last??? One can program on the beach, don't care where it gets done as long as it gets done. This nonsense with them being vague is just pissing off customers! It's now spreading over discord. so as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.,