Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

Landing rate monitor for P3D v5 . Which one?

Hi,

I would be curious to learn who is using one of these apps and if so which one and why?

Currently have been relying upon the Orbx Volanta app to provide that info, but this is only displayed once the flight (aircraft parked at the gate) has been completed.

I am wondering if another stand-alone app which provides info directly after landing is more appropriate?

Ideally, I am looking for something that records fpm and G.

thx
Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I do not use such stuff - real pilots also have no clue how many ft/minute they land.

Generally i do not disturb myself with redundant numbers as frame rates or landing rate.

Even without numbers i know if my landing was butter smooth or stone -hard 🙂

• Like 2

Artur 

I use LRM available here. https://www.lrmclient.org

It’s very satisfying when you grease it. I’ve actually managed to land Concorde at 67fpm. Not easy at a landing speed of 157kts.

LRM displays relevant data immediately after wheels down.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not sure if it support v6 but I use AivaFlightMonitor in v5, it doesn't record G (as Boeing/Airbus doesn't recommended that anyway), but it came with dozens of parameter for the whole approach.

It helped me get rid of some bad habits like long landing and seesawing descend rate at flare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I do not use such stuff - real pilots also have no clue how many ft/minute they land

Yes that may be true, but seeing as though I'm not a real, qualified pilot and I use a simulator program on a PC and not a full motion simulator,  I might as well benefit from some of the extra tools that are available.

3 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Generally i do not disturb myself with redundant numbers as frame rates....

What do you mean? I wasn't after frame rates, I was after descent rate (feet per minute) at touch down.

I don't think descent rate is a redundant number given you cant feel a landing in the PC sim. Its more based on visual cues inside the vc and the outside environment. Having an extra tool can be useful I think especially if you switch between different aircraft with different handling properties and flight/lift characteristics. If you don't see the need for one, then good for you.

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I use LRM available here. https://www.lrmclient.org

It’s very satisfying when you grease it. I’ve actually managed to land Concorde at 67fpm. Not easy at a landing speed of 157kts.

LRM displays relevant data immediately after wheels down.

Thanks Ray. I take a look at that one. Appreciate the recommendation.
Cheers.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

1 hour ago, C2615 said:

Not sure if it support v6 but I use AivaFlightMonitor in v5, it doesn't record G (as Boeing/Airbus doesn't recommended that anyway), but it came with dozens of parameter for the whole approach.

It helped me get rid of some bad habits like long landing and seesawing descend rate at flare.

OK, sounds interesting. I have v5 also. Thanks for the tip. I will take a look as I have been known to float the landing from time to time.

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

In the real world if I made a smooth landing in the B777, I'd say bye bye to the passengers. If the landing sucked I'd stay in the cockpit until all the passengers got off.                                 

I never really needed to know what the landing FPM decent rate was, since it was fairly obvious. Same thing in the sim. 

Pete Locascio

55 minutes ago, tamba765 said:

I never really needed to know what the landing FPM decent rate was, since it was fairly obvious. Same thing in the sim. 

What hardware are you using for your full-motion sim?

My Virtual Airline's flight logger tracks descent rate as well as runway distance; it's made me at least focus a lot on multiple aspects of a god landing.

Cheers

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

18 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I do not use such stuff - real pilots also have no clue how many ft/minute they land.

Really??  I kinda doubt you’re a real pilot.  When I fly I have a pretty good clue how many feet/minute I touch down because I feel it in my butt.  Same thing even as a passenger.  I’ve never “felt” a hard landing in a sim, and having some actual data could surely help to improve.

Edited by kholt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kholt said:

Really??  I kinda doubt you’re a real pilot.  When I fly I have a pretty good clue how many feet/minute I touch down because I feel it in my butt.  Same thing even as a passenger.  I’ve never “felt” a hard landing in a sim, and having some actual data could surely help to improve.

U have a good clue, but that is only ur perception mixed with experience - u do not have a counter saying that u touched down xxxft/min.

If u had not any hard landing in the sim, then either u are a good pilot or ur sim experience is relatively short.

Artur 

11 hours ago, Beardyman said:

U have a good clue, but that is only ur perception mixed with experience - u do not have a counter saying that u touched down xxxft/min.

If u had not any hard landing in the sim, then either u are a good pilot or ur sim experience is relatively short.

You’ve completely missed the entire point of this discussion.  In a real airplane, you get tactile feedback as to how smooth your landing was.  In a simulator you do not, or at least very little at best.  The point of this software is to provide that feedback so you can improve your flying skills in simulator as you would in real life.  Absolute numbers aren’t the point.

It sounds to me like your definition of a successful landing is not blowing the tires and collapsing the landing gear struts.  So in that case I guess you do get feedback in the sim.  No, I have never done that myself, either in real life or in sim.  My standards are significantly more discerning.

• Like 1

In this day and age it’s unusual to see use of text speak to minimise the number of letters used in a post. There’s no charge at AvSim for spelling words in full.

• Like 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My  old landlord a 6"3' female Air Canada pilot of A315 and A320 aircraft told me that I should shoot for anything under 500 FPM.  She's too big of a girl to argue with.