Sign in to follow this  
newtie

AIG, Runways and Wind

Hi all- How does AIG determine which runway to land on based on the prevailing wind (from ASky)?
Or it doesn't, and the runway is baked into the bgl?

Sometimes I see AIG models taking off downwind.

Thanks,
Mark

No, the sim controls the AI, unless you're using some addon that does this.

I've seen this behavior from AI planes many times.  It's just a flaw in the sim's AI control software.

People have asked MS and LM for years to fix the bugs in the ATC and AI, but I don't think much has changed since FSX or perhaps even FS2004.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

People have asked MS and LM for years to fix the bugs in the ATC and AI, but I don't think much has changed since FSX or perhaps even FS2004

indeed ..... & many have asked about the "apparent" factors reviewed by the sim's traffic engine (wind, visibility, navaids, runway length etc.) to assign said runways.

frankly i have always guessed MS & LM have little interest in refining or explaining that given for many years addons such as VoxATC have been a more than adequate traffic controller.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

FSHUD does a really nice job too.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I see this on occasions with AIG Ai and Radar Contact. Neither of those is to blame of course. Dave is correct that this is controlled by P3D.

To overcome this I use AiCompanion to delete them. You could also adjust the sim time by 1 minute to force a reload of Ai. Doesn’t always work but worth a shot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

+1 for ATCAPI.

I use this all the time.It works well with AIG AI.

Once installed you can configure the runways so that specific ones are in operation for AI via simple config file that it reads when starting the sim.

You can also adjust the percentage landing or taking off from each runway if there are multiple runways in operation.

Should the wind change while in flight, you can access the config file, change the runways base don current winds and then reload the config file for the changes to take effect in the sim.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I see this on occasions with AIG Ai and Radar Contact. Neither of those is to blame of course. Dave is correct that this is controlled by P3D.

To overcome this I use AiCompanion to delete them. You could also adjust the sim time by 1 minute to force a reload of Ai. Doesn’t always work but worth a shot.

Hi Ray- I'm trying to install AICompanion but without a manual am having difficulty. I get a warning dialog on the config page saying I need at least one folder for aircraft and traffic. I see the flightplan and location fields but no aircraft but nothing for 'AI Aircraft'. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Mark

a1.png

@newtie,

You need to point AIC to the AIG folders that contain 1) the BGL files that contain flightplans and 2) the folder than contains the aircraft themselves. See my screenshot.

Select Options and the General tab. Select Add for the two paths required. I have AIC on a network PC so my paths include the remote computer. Hopefully you can figure it out now.

AIC.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray, it looks like I was looking at the wrong page. :mellow:

38 minutes ago, newtie said:

Thanks Ray, it looks like I was looking at the wrong page. :mellow:

Not necessarily. If you’ve also elected to use AIGFP files you’ll need to provide a path on that screen.

When you’ve got it working make sure you create different layouts so you see Ai relevant to you when on the ground and a different choice when airborne. The two change automatically on takeoff / landing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not necessarily. If you’ve also elected to use AIGFP files you’ll need to provide a path on that screen.

When you’ve got it working make sure you create different layouts so you see Ai relevant to you when on the ground and a different choice when airborne. The two change automatically on takeoff / landing.

Good to go. One last question..how do you delete enroute (landing on the runway in the opposite direction you taking off from) from the LiveMap. I'd like to right click on it and select delete but no such luck. :>)

8 hours ago, newtie said:

Good to go. One last question..how do you delete enroute (landing on the runway in the opposite direction you taking off from) from the LiveMap. I'd like to right click on it and select delete but no such luck. :>)

LiveTraffic has that option. Maybe run in admin mode?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather