Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Got a Quest 3...total nightmare....

Its amazing how peoples experience of this varies so much. Oculus 3 is about as plug and play as it gets for VR right now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

I use Virtual Desktop and a high-power USB cable plugged into the Quest 3 charger.  The charge still increases in MSFS session.

sounds like v62 has some more power management tweaks.

Edited by dogmanbird

On 1/28/2024 at 9:16 PM, RobJC said:

This is where the problems began. I bought a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cable

I'm sure the problem is the cable itself. I have both a Quest 2 and a Quest 3 and made the same mistake of buying a generic USB cable for the Quest 2, because the official one seemed unnecessarily overpriced. The generic cable didn't work, so I got the official USB-C Cable from Meta, and it worked at a first try.

This was with Quest 2. With Quest 3, I don't even bother using a Cable anymore: Wireless with Virtual Desktop is so much more comfortable and easier to use, that I just forgot about the cable, and I'm use it only to recharge it.

Speaking about charging, I strongly suggest getting the Aubika battery strap:

https://a.co/d/e8lel4Z

Not only you'll get more than double battery life, but the extra battery in the back will improve the balance quite a bit, so the headset becomes more comfortable to wear for longer sessions, and the strap itself is better than the standard one.

Having had an original Oculus Rift, a Reverb G2, a Quest 2 and a Quest 3, I'd say the Quest 3 is the first one that is really an enjoyable and easy to use experience, making all the others looking as "prototypes".

• Like 1

if you're considering using the q3 without the face mask, a halo strap would be the way to go, something like the BoboVR S3 Pro (apparently battery works correctly with q3 and has a built in fan). 

Without the mask you can get the lenses closer, increasing the FOV a bit more and tilt the lenses to a better angle if necessary, plus it stays cool / doesn't fog up

Edited by dogmanbird