Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

What is the World Right Scale in VR? For example with C152

Hey guys,

Something is off with the world scale.  I have it set to 105, and when I stood up from the cockpit in VR (JPL-152), I just walked outside the door, and the wings of C152 is lower than my height.  Usually a person height is under the wing of the Cessna.  

What scale is recommended to truly get real life size feel.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

This is a good question as some of the models aren't quite sized right... Ive set mine to 110 - flying Fenix and ATR... according to RWP that seems to be the sweet spot as to reality...

Maybe the eye point needs to be adjusted when outside the plane - as when you move out it will see you at the same level not allowing for lower terrain?

The world scale will just make things bigger, not necessarily will the wing appear higher...

Others may chime in with better thoughts...but a start anyways..

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

115 here. For no particular reason other than it feels about right.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

13 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hey guys,

Something is off with the world scale.  I have it set to 105, and when I stood up from the cockpit in VR (JPL-152), I just walked outside the door, and the wings of C152 is lower than my height.  Usually a person height is under the wing of the Cessna.  

The scale depends on your IPD. You have to set a correct IPD in your headset, and ALSO set the corresponding world scale (there's a measure in millimeters appearing next to the slider) in the sim settings, else there would be a mismatch.

I haven't tried to raise up in the C152 yet but I can give it a try. The problem with that test is that I do not know how far from the ground my word not allowed is staying, when I'm seating on my chair and in the virtual cockpit. If I raise from the chair, are my virtual feet on the same level as the ground in the sim ? Or are they underground, leading me to be smaller than in real life ? That is the question...

11 hours ago, vonduck said:

This is a good question as some of the models aren't quite sized right...

This ^^

Although I believe the C152 proportions are quite accurate, contrary to the default DC-3 that isn't even usable in VR, due to ridiculously small cockpit.

14 hours ago, odourboy said:

115 here. For no particular reason other than it feels about right.

115 Looked good in JPL-152.

It even looked perfect in the cabin of PMDG-737.  I was skewing in there, checking out the seats and what not in the BBJ

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

6 hours ago, Daube said:

The scale depends on your IPD. You have to set a correct IPD in your headset, and ALSO set the corresponding world scale (there's a measure in millimeters appearing next to the slider) in the sim settings, else there would be a mismatch.

I haven't tried to raise up in the C152 yet but I can give it a try. The problem with that test is that I do not know how far from the ground my word not allowed is staying, when I'm seating on my chair and in the virtual cockpit. If I raise from the chair, are my virtual feet on the same level as the ground in the sim ? Or are they underground, leading me to be smaller than in real life ? That is the question...

When I reset my view outside, I was immediately under the wing.  That is what I wanted to see.  Though in some planes like PMDG, when I stand up from the chair, it is scaled perfectly.  But it is wild to have the sim this good especially with my humble old system

19 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hey guys,

World scale is a rather odd setting. It doesn't affect the geometry of anything, rather it adjusts the difference between the images in the right and left eye, which your brain uses to calculate distance, and therefore the relative size of things. If the distance between your eyes in real life does not match the distance your headset is using (and/or the physical distance between your VR lenses), the distance and scale of things will be off.

So if you max out world scale, the 172 wings should be at the exact same height relative to you, but will appear to be as massive as 747 wings, and very far away. Likewise your instruments in the cockpit will take up exactly the same amount of visual real estate, but will seem very far away, and huge. Kind of like the difference between looking at a golf ball at arms length and the moon - same relative size, but the distance determines the scale. 

Long story short - adjust world scale for accurate distances. Does the yolk seem like its a foot away, or merely inches? Does the passenger seem two feet away, like they'd be in real life, or ten feet? In my case, everything seemed way too close, like I was in a tiny remote control aircraft. A very minor adjustment to 105 was just right for me. Everyone is a bit different, because everyone's eyes are a different distance apart. 

• Like 1

This can differ between aircraft as well. I need to adjust the world scale for some aircraft more than others to get what looks natural. I wish there was a way to save this per aircraft.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

15 minutes ago, Donka said:

This can differ between aircraft as well. I need to adjust the world scale for some aircraft more than others to get what looks natural. I wish there was a way to save this per aircraft.

We should wish the aircraft designers would create their 3D models with correct dimensions instead.

I don't want the rest of the world in sim to look out of scale just because the addon creator made a terrible job at modeling his plane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My thoughts on world scale is that it has nothing to do with world scale.  It seems it's messing with your VR perspective such that "you" can be small like a 3 year old child or as big as a tall/huge professional athlete (or even bigger).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

My own theory is that the plane scale right, but the zoom is not. If you do CAD design you would use real world dimensions. Other way you will go troubles (design parts do not fit together).

The zoom is not adjustable in VR mode view. Maybe the model have default zooms which is something else than 1?

One way check the scale is to make big chess board cube with 10 x 10 cm squares an put it on ground. Then drive plane against it just compare known real world dimension to model dimensions.

It is wrong that you must adjust your IPD from plane to plane. IPD should be fixed. This bug have been there from beginning and it is very annoying.

• Like 2