Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Which Dreamliner to chose? Opinions and advices please!

53 minutes ago, cseu said:

As I remember correctly it is 400ft RA, for smooth AP engagement check your Trim-Setting on MFD, I've got the best results when using the FMC calculated values for V-Speeds and Trim...

Thanks Ralf, I've had a little better luck going one click nose down from its calculated trim.   I will try 400ft.  Maybe it's just better to NOT engage AP until really stable during initial climb, or manual fly to 10K or something.

One other question if you will:  at one point is the throttle supposed to disengage when autothrottle is enabled?  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I’ve been flying the Horizon B787 which I’m generally happy with. Perhaps the worst aspect (and from reading other’s comments here—I assume the other versions do the same thing) is that even when I set the correct trim for takeoff, the plane still requires insane nose down trim after rotation.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

One other question if you will:  at one point is the throttle supposed to disengage when autothrottle is enabled?  

disengage AT when AP disconnecting, then adjust pitch with engine thrust or do the autoland until cutoff AP/AT. Best regards

Ralf Andreas

36 minutes ago, cseu said:

disengage AT when AP disconnecting, then adjust pitch with engine thrust or do the autoland until cutoff AP/AT. Best regards

My bad I asked the question incorrectly.  I noticed when I pull back on the throttle, when it's in AT mode, it automatically disconnects.  At what point from full forward to fully back to idle/0 will it disengage do you know?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I noticed when I pull back on the throttle, when it's in AT mode, it automatically disconnects.  At what point from full forward to fully back to idle/0 will it disengage do you know?

they should never disconnect in this way, therefore is the AT disconnect SW outside of each thrust lever or on MCP AT OFF switches. It seems that you have assigned AT DISC command somewhere at your throttle hardware.

Ralf Andreas

3 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

I’ve been flying the Horizon B787 which I’m generally happy with. Perhaps the worst aspect (and from reading other’s comments here—I assume the other versions do the same thing) is that even when I set the correct trim for takeoff, the plane still requires insane nose down trim after rotation.

the trim command value calculation seems to be incorrect, maybe developers have wrong tables used for individual flap settings, in general there will be a higher NU command calculated than needed, e.g. for FL5 / GENX ENG, TOW 190 CG 22 resulting in sim calculation of 5,7 units more precise seems to be 4.7 or for TOW 250 CG 15 resulting in 8.5 from sim, but 7.4 would be fine. I have no idea, why and which values used within sim, but you can try with lower NU trim to avoid excessive ND trim after TO. Best regards

• Upvote 1

Ralf Andreas

2 hours ago, cseu said:

the trim command value calculation seems to be incorrect, maybe developers have wrong tables used for individual flap settings, in general there will be a higher NU command calculated than needed, e.g. for FL5 / GENX ENG, TOW 190 CG 22 resulting in sim calculation of 5,7 units more precise seems to be 4.7 or for TOW 250 CG 15 resulting in 8.5 from sim, but 7.4 would be fine. I have no idea, why and which values used within sim, but you can try with lower NU trim to avoid excessive ND trim after TO. Best regards

Have you developed a rough guide for what the difference should be? Maybe at least one full unit?

6 hours ago, cseu said:

FL5 / GENX ENG, TOW 190 CG 22 resulting in sim calculation of 5,7 units more precise seems to be 4.7 or for TOW 250 CG 15 resulting in 8.5 from sim, but 7.4 would be fine.

I can't vouch for the Horizon, but I'm unable to reproduce the wrong trim values in the 787-10, at least. Those loads and CGs produce 4.75 and 7.25, respectively, which match the FCOM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MattNischan said:

I can't vouch for the Horizon, but I'm unable to reproduce the wrong trim values in the 787-10, at least. Those loads and CGs produce 4.75 and 7.25, respectively, which match the FCOM.

Hello Matt, sorry writing for the Horizon B789, -10 not used as I mentioned before. Doublechecked the trim with B789 GENX FL5 TOW 190 the FMC calculation gave me CG 22 with 5.7 trim which is too high NU trim. EFB not used since it calculated sometimes wrong v-speeds, in my opinion the Horizon trim values needs to be reviewed.

Hello Boeing_Driver, no I have no guideline, in general it seems to be about 1 unit to high, but not checked different flap conditions and it's not linear.

and a short info for Noel - your AT may diconnecting as you reaching your assigned Thrust Reverser Idle range, in this case AT will disconnect or if the throttle automatically driving back to THR Idle during landing and you override it. For LNAV/VNAV - LNAV is possible active at/above 50 ft as FD mode, VNAV at 400 ft, so the AP engagement make sense earliest at or above 400ft.

Not to be misunderstood, I have a lot of fun with this AC...

Best regards

Ralf Andreas

21 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

The -10 you get with the Premium Deluxe, the -8 and -9 on flightsim.to (Premium Deluxe still needed).

Ah. Yes I have the 10 with my premium deluxe package. Are you saying the other 2 are someplace on the FlightSum.com website?

Thanks.

Dan Cole

26 minutes ago, bobrbend said:

Ah. Yes I have the 10 with my premium deluxe package. Are you saying the other 2 are someplace on the FlightSum.com website?

Thanks.

It‘s flightsim.to, but yes 🙂
The -8 you can find from „Kuro“, the -9 from „Horizon Simulations“.

The minimum certified height to engage the autopilot is 200ft AGL, but as with engaging any autopilot, the aircraft needs to be stable and in trim first.

Just for your  interest the minimum height for AP disconnect on landing is 135ft AGL unless coupled to the ILS with LAND 2 or 3 shown on the PFD.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

18 hours ago, cseu said:

they should never disconnect in this way, therefore is the AT disconnect SW outside of each thrust lever or on MCP AT OFF switches. It seems that you have assigned AT DISC command somewhere at your throttle hardware.

Well I certainly didn't try to, but thanks I'll have a look.  This doesn't happen w/ PMDG 738.

Noel