Sign in to follow this  
Hauptmann

Costco Gaming Desktop for $899.99?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your input, guys! 

Ended up getting the Costco $1,099 prebuilt.  Even Costco's most expensive PCs just have the 4060 GPU.  Its 32 gb RAM is 4 sticks of 8--don't know it that's good or bad.  So far it runs well on high settings with me just practicing landing the Cessna 150. I have 90 days to return it "no-questions-asked" if it doesn't measure up to more demanding use. Hope it works as-is, but I'm prepared to spend more if need be.

Can't wait to be dialing up the weather and flying IFR!   

Edited by Hauptmann
Add last paragraph

Usually RAM is faster with fewer sticks, so 2x16GB will be faster than 4x8GB.  Given the overall speed of today's RAM, I'm not sure the speed difference would be noticeable to most users.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You should all build your own PC, it's actually very easy to do, there are hundreds of Youtube videos on the subject

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I'd vote for custom build PC also, these days they are VERY easy to setup.  Only tricky part can be overclocking setup, but if you don't want to go that route just set the UEFI memory to XMP 2 or EXPO pending RAM/CPU combo and be done with it ... everything else is plug and play and very difficult to go wrong (even CPU placement in socket can only go one way) ... probably the most difficult part will be installing the heatsink/fan (or water cooled) and getting orientation correct.

I'm guessing you got this iBUYPOWER PC?

Here is the equivalent custom component with slightly better component choices:

• 13700F (LGA 1151) - $360 
  • Asus Prime Z390 LGA 1151 - $200
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB XMP2 3600 CL18 - $95
  • WD Black SN777 nVMe 2TB 5000MB/s - $139
  • Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm - $110
  • AMD RX 7600XT (better performance than 4060 at the same price) - $315
  • MUSETEX PC CASE ATX 6 (Mid Tower) - $110
  • Thermaltake GF1 (2024) Fully Modular ATX 850W Power Supply - 80 Plus Gold - $90

$1419 ... so you are saving money, but the components above are better than what is in the iBUYPOWER.  

The 4060 8GB is NOT a good GPU choice and going with a CPU based on LGA 1151 which is an old socket design and no DDR5 support ... sorta retro-fitting the past rather than buying to current technology.

• Upvote 1

On 3/7/2024 at 4:30 PM, Ixoye said:

You should all build your own PC, it's actually very easy to do, there are hundreds of Youtube videos on the subject

There’s one significant problem building your own. No warranty on the whole computer, just the individual components.

Two days after I took delivery of mine the graphics card failed. I got a replacement a few days later and the courier collected the failed card for return to Chillblast in England.

If you’d bought the components yourself you’d probably have to wait for the failed card to be checked before a replacement is sent.

Yes, you pay more for a built system but it gives peace of mind. I used to build my own but computers are getting more complex with CPUs running far hotter than 15 years ago so getting a decent cooling system is imperative. You need to have a good understanding of systems and not all YT videos are done by experts.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, CO2Neutral, I did get the iBuyPower.  In the past I've built my gaming PCs and usually had trouble with them.  That's why I jumped for a budget-priced prebuilt with an absolutely super guarantee (90 days full walk-in refund).  So far it has worked out well, but I've only done beginner stuff.  I will say it loads and starts up quickly--though I could do without that DUNE/Ornithopter splash screen!

In a week or so I'll venture into NYC or London with a sophisticated aircraft and see how it does.  If my system turns out to be less than par, I'll be the first to admit it, and build a better one. 

PS:  Someday I hope to be CO2 neutral as well.  I'm waiting for that $25K Tesla! 

3 hours ago, Hauptmann said:

That's why I jumped for a budget-priced prebuilt

Completely understand, you did save about $300 and if it works for you that's all that matter.  Your weakest performance link is the 4060 8GB.  nVME M.2 2TB will certainly make for a fast boot.

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I got a replacement a few days later and the courier collected the failed card for return to Chillblast in England.

That's a valid point, I order mostly from Amazon or NewEgg or B&H and so far only had 2 component failures (out of several thousand orders) ... RMA was issued as a QR image for use by local UPS store to ship back ... but must use original box, packing, envelope ... Amazon show you refund process but it will take 1 month to get money back.  Definitely some advantage to local vs. online.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There’s one significant problem building your own. No warranty on the whole computer, just the individual components.Two days after I took delivery of mine the graphics card failed. I got a replacement a few days later and the courier collected the failed card for return to Chillblast in England.If you’d bought the components yourself you’d probably have to wait for the failed card to be checked before a replacement is sent.

Things have moved on a bit.
If you buy from Amazon in the UK, their returns policy gives you the money back as soon as their courier has it.
Not only that, even if the component was ordered by mistake, the same service applies.
Not only that, if you order a replacement component it will normally be on your doorstep the next day.
Not only that, from time to time, they have extraordinary deals.
I have a case, bought in December 2022 for £66, that retailed normally for over twice that.
There is a very good reason why the company is so successful.

Prebuilt companies are fine but you are the third person I know of whose very expensive graphics card has
failed under warranty and one of those did not even work when first switched on.
In some cases, pun intended, you have to fit your own replacement, unless you are willing to wait for a
technician to arrive, which seems to defeat the point of having the device prebuilt.

Edited by Reader

2 hours ago, CO2Neutral said:

That's a valid point, I order mostly from Amazon or NewEgg or B&H and so far only had 2 component failures (out of several thousand orders) ... RMA was issued as a QR image for use by local UPS store to ship back ... but must use original box, packing, envelope ... Amazon show you refund process but it will take 1 month to get money back.  Definitely some advantage to local vs. online.

Because it was built for me the Nvidia box wasn’t supplied. I had a suitably sized box in the loft and used that with plenty of paper packing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Reader said:

Prebuilt companies are fine but you are the third person I know of whose very expensive graphics card has failed under warranty and one of those did not even work when first switched on.
In some cases, pun intended, you have to fit your own replacement, unless you are willing to wait for a technician to arrive, which seems to defeat the point of having the device prebuilt.

I don’t blame Chillblast for that. It was fine when it arrived. I fitted the replacement myself and with only 3mm of free space between card length and case size it was a bit fiddly. It’s been fine ever since.

In fairness to Chillblast the replacement was 150GBP more expensive but they covered that themselves.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t blame Chillblast for that.

Regardless, the graphics card failed and needed to be replaced.
I was merely pointing out that this:

If you’d bought the components yourself you’d probably have to wait for the failed card to be checked before a replacement is sent.

is not necessarily the case, as things have moved on.
Possibly not in the US, if it takes 

1 month to get money back. 

The other two that I mentioned also remain fiercely loyal to Chilblast, so Chillblact must be doing something right.

Edited by Reader

I'm late to this party but FWIW when I bought my Costco Cyberpower in 2016, I was able to upgrade the specs and still got their warranty. The only thing I've replaced is some of the default case fans and maybe my graphics card is now failing. The $899 loss leader special is going to have cheap components but that's not the fault of Cyberpower. My build as a little over $2000 eight years ago.