Sign in to follow this  
Hauptmann

Costco Gaming Desktop for $899.99?

Getting back into MSFS after 20  year hiatus.  Considering the Costco CyberPower PC Gaming Desktop for $899.99.  It has Intel Core i5-13400F  Processor, 20MB L3 Cache, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8GB vid card, 32GB DDR5 Memory, 2.0TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD.  I'll be running my two existing 32" LG GSync monitors with 165Hz refresh rate. 

Anyone using one successfully?   Does it sound adequate?  With Costco's liberal return policy, I have 3 months to upgrade if it's not up to snuff.  What are your thoughts/suggestions? 

that system really is mediocore for FS. For around $1000, you could build a MUCH better system.  

• Upvote 3

Peter Osborn

2 hours ago, CapnOz said:

that system really is mediocore for FS. For around $1000, you could build a MUCH better system.  

Interesting!  Which components are mediocre?  While I'm not asking for you (or anyone) to "design me a system", perhaps you could point me in the right direction.  BTW, I attended high school in Portland.  Great, great city!   I really miss being close to Mt. Hood!

Edited by Hauptmann
Add final sentence.
  • Like 1

I think besides the CPU, FS2020 will run alright with High settings.

I have an i5 13600K, with 32GB ram, 6750XT 12GB, FS2020 runs pretty good with most ultra and high settings, at 1440p 

don't buy it most pre-builds from big chains  are over priced you think they are cheep thats because the are, most only come with 1 x stick of ram instead of x 2  and use the cheapest  components  they can find.

Is the 32GB DDR5 Memory on 1 x stick? or 2 x 16GB sticks? I bet its more than likely 1 x 32 GB stck

Watch Youtube reviews 95% are cheep overpriced garbage.

Edited by jason74

Jason Richards

CyberPower PCs are known for their cheap components.... The ad says nothing about the cooling system, which is an important part running a high resource game on a PC. 

The processor should be at least an i9-13900k. 

You get what you pay for.....

I am by no means a PC guru, but I am building a home cockpit with multiple PC....

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I’ve bought several gaming pc’s from Costco, and they’ve all been excellent. With their warranty and customer service, it’s risk free in my opinion. You also get 90 days to return. I wouldn’t hesitate giving it a shot.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

6 hours ago, Silicus said:

The processor should be at least an i9-13900k. 

In fact, i5 processors are far better value for money, even though they do not feature the bragging rights.
I use an i5 11600K which barely gets warm running MSFS.
What does make the difference is the 3080ti graphics card.

20 hours ago, Hauptmann said:

Getting back into MSFS after 20  year hiatus.  Considering the Costco CyberPower PC Gaming Desktop for $899.99.  It has Intel Core i5-13400F  Processor, 20MB L3 Cache, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8GB vid card, 32GB DDR5 Memory, 2.0TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD.  I'll be running my two existing 32" LG GSync monitors with 165Hz refresh rate. 

Anyone using one successfully?   Does it sound adequate?  With Costco's liberal return policy, I have 3 months to upgrade if it's not up to snuff.  What are your thoughts/suggestions? 

I would recommend to look after CUK (Computer Upgrade King - https://cukusa.com) upgraded gaming laptops They work with different brands like ASUS and MSI (and maybe others as well). That insures you'll be receiving the best components and a "reinforced" machine capable of running complex software like MSFS2020 with proper cooling capabilities.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

19 hours ago, Silicus said:

CyberPower PCs are known for their cheap components....   

Thanks for your advice! I read reviews for CyberPower PCs, which range from bad to terrible.  I think I'll start with Costco's next cheapest option--an HP Victus for $200 more.  I'll use it for MSFS and video editing only.  If it's not satisfactory  I have 90 days to return it.  It has a 13th Gen Intel Core i7-13700F, and the same NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8GB card, but only a 1 TB SSD (I have an external Seagate 5 TB SSD).  Is the 3080ti graphics card better than the 4060 in your opinion? 

Only 8GB VRAM on the GPU is not enough I think.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

The last two digits in Nvidia video card model numbers tell the tale of what to expect.  Cards ending in "50" or "60" are low-end budget cards, suitable for web surfing and games that do not require a powerful video card.  Cards with model numbers ending in "70" or "80" are usually good for more graphic intensive games and sims.  Cards ending in "90" are even better, but come with a very steep price tag and their advantage over an "80" series card may not justify the extra cost.  There is also incremental improvement from one series of Nvidia cards to the next series of cards.  So a 4060 is better than a 3060, but still not as good as a 3080 or even a 2080, but likely would tie with a 1080.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I bought a prebuilt gaming pc during covid because it was cheaper than buying a gpu and parts. Wouldn’t do it again. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

I bought a prebuilt gaming pc during covid because it was cheaper than buying a gpu and parts. Wouldn’t do it again. 

I did too, got one built by NewEgg.  I had to replace the EVGA PSU when it died after barely 2 weeks of use, then the fans in the EVGA liquid cooler when one stopped spinning and the other showed signs of failure.  I really did not want to buy a new system, but at that time my old computer was a Windows XP computer and so old that there was no further upgrade possible and parts, especially video cards, were being gobbled up by scalpers and cryto-currency miners.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.