Sign in to follow this  
pilotter

gsx objects stuttering

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, pilotter said:

so basically all that is running by simconnect will not stutter except GSX?

Everything will stutter but, if it's not doing anything visible on screen that is dependent on that data, like moving things on screen or driving animation, you won't be able to tell so yes, from your point of view, they won't "stutter", except GSX.

You can blame it on Asobo or other products

I never "blamed" Asobo, let alone "other products".

I only tried to make you understand the cause. But as usual, there's never a single cause for everything and the AMOUNT of "stuttering" changes quite a bit.

For example, I NEVER seen something so bad as in the video you posted in your first post so, clearly, that's not how GSX vehicles normally looks like, so that must be a worse case situation, like too high frames unlocked AND too many addons taxiing Simconnect, which are forced to do so because the frame rate was too high, forcing ALL running apps to create double traffic.

That kind of abnormal and unusual result can be managed and improved, by locking the fps and playing around with Process Lasso (or the BIOS) to control Affinity better than default, but you will never be able to achieve complete and total smoothness, when Simconnect is involved.

I don't know if you can read the MSFS Dev forum but, here's a bit of background from other developers, for example in this case, Simconnect lack of precision is causing problems to create accurate calculations for an inertial navigation system:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/timer-synced-to-flight-model-updates/5239

Of course, you wouldn't know if an INS calculation is "stuttering" but, if this system can really be tricked by not being called at precise time intervals (that's what "stuttering" really is), it will become a problem if it sends you off track.

Edited by virtuali

I had no issues with GSX so far...until latest update today....Everything loaded, Cold and Dark and GSX won't open, it says engines need to shut down (?!)...and its cold and dark. Tries restarting but same thing...Anyone experienced similar thing? Its A Fenix 320....Thanks

Alex 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I had no issues with GSX so far...until latest update today....Everything loaded, Cold and Dark and GSX won't open, it says engines need to shut down (?!)...and its cold and dark. Tries restarting but same thing...Anyone experienced similar thing? Its A Fenix 320....Thanks

It would be best if you didn't post something that doesn't have anything to do with this thread. BTW, I just tried the Fenix, with Cold and Dark, opened the GSX menu, and it worked normally asking for a service, didn't complain about engines.

Edited by virtuali
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, virtuali said:

It would be best if you didn't post something that doesn't have anything to do with this thread. BTW, I just tried the Fenix, with Cold and Dark, open the GSX menu, worked normally asking for a service, doesn't complain about engines.

Umberto...I am posting here because I have an issue...I guess you missed it when I said that so far I have not had any issue with GSX, take your time an read it please, if you want. You are taking so much effort to write not helpful comment, for a lack of better words....

Secondly I am not disputing what do you have and what you can do on your system, beside I can't complain what is the issue or not with your Fenix....Or MSFS or whatever. I am sayin that I have that issue and it won't work...That's all, maybe if I restart it will....and maybe is Fenix, maybe is integration with GSX and Fenix, and maybe, who knows.... 

So let me translate what you just wrote, on a nice way.....

"I just checked with my system and there are no issue on our side....restart MSFS and see how it works....If issues persist please post on GSX forum...." 

How about that?

Alex 

8 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Umberto...I am posting here because I have an issue...I guess you missed it when I said that so far I have not had any issue with GSX, take your time an read it please, if you want. You are taking so much effort to write not helpful comment, for a lack of better words....

You said you are posting here because you have an issue with GSX. This is a thread that is extremely specific about GSX vehicles stuttering. Do you think your post is making this thread any easier to read or follow, for everybody? 

If you didn't want to post this in other places, it wouldn't have been best if you opened a new thread here, with a new title, so it will then contain only this specific issue that could then be explored and discussed in more detail, with other users possibly having the same problem contributing to it, without cluttering this thread, which is clearly about vehicle stuttering, it's not a generic GSX thread.

And, I really don't see how my reply, which should have at least helped you a bit:

BTW, I just tried the Fenix, with Cold and Dark, opened the GSX menu, and it worked normally asking for a service, didn't complain about engines.

Is in any way "less nice" than your version:

"I just checked with my system and there are no issue on our side....restart MSFS and see how it works....If issues persist please post on GSX forum...." 

I haven't suggested restarting MSFS, because it's very likely not required, and I haven't suggested posting it on the FSDT forum, because I think this should be implied.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, virtuali said:

haven't suggested restarting MSFS, because it's very likely not required, and I haven't suggested posting it on the FSDT forum, because I think this should be implied.

You didn't actually suggested anything.....You are just going in to loop....Why is this and that? Wasting your energy on lecturing me here where I should post. And who cares where I posted...? I noticed your presence here and hoped you can help....but I was wrong....

And I pretended to write your answer how it should look....Rude as well but on a nice way....but it looks that someone stole your corn flex this morning....

• Like 1

Alex 

1 hour ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

You didn't actually suggested anything....

How could you possibly manage to misunderstand me again? I was exactly pointing out what I was missing from my supposedly "not nice" reply, in comparison to the one you rewrote as a supposedly "nice" version.

I gave you one useful information: that means I loaded MSFS, trying to reproduce what you reported, and saying it doesn't happen, I haven't just said "nobody reported it, so it doesn't happen", I took the time to verify this, on a Sunday night, thank you very much...

Should I have added extra useless information, like restarting MSFS (wasting your time for no reason), just to make the reply look "nicer"? 

noticed your presence here and hoped you can help....but I was wrong....

Of course I can help, but that doesn't make a good idea piggybacking on an unrelated thread, it's not as if I'm difficult to find, and I would have replied more thoroughly if you did what you should have done in the first place: opening a new thread here, or whatever you like (on the FSDT forum, on Discord), dedicated to that specific issue.

11 hours ago, virtuali said:

Everything will stutter but, if it's not doing anything visible on screen that is dependent on that data, like moving things on screen or driving animation, you won't be able to tell so yes, from your point of view, they won't "stutter", except GSX.

I never "blamed" Asobo, let alone "other products".

I only tried to make you understand the cause. But as usual, there's never a single cause for everything and the AMOUNT of "stuttering" changes quite a bit.

For example, I NEVER seen something so bad as in the video you posted in your first post so, clearly, that's not how GSX vehicles normally looks like, so that must be a worse case situation, like too high frames unlocked AND too many addons taxiing Simconnect, which are forced to do so because the frame rate was too high, forcing ALL running apps to create double traffic.

That kind of abnormal and unusual result can be managed and improved, by locking the fps and playing around with Process Lasso (or the BIOS) to control Affinity better than default, but you will never be able to achieve complete and total smoothness, when Simconnect is involved.

I don't know if you can read the MSFS Dev forum but, here's a bit of background from other developers, for example in this case, Simconnect lack of precision is causing problems to create accurate calculations for an inertial navigation system:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/timer-synced-to-flight-model-updates/5239

Of course, you wouldn't know if an INS calculation is "stuttering" but, if this system can really be tricked by not being called at precise time intervals (that's what "stuttering" really is), it will become a problem if it sends you off track.

it was not me posting the video, and I am using project lasso, again the only thing stuttering in my sim is GSX vehicles, and when GSX is performing  the pushback. If I do it by the Fenix tablet push back without GSX it's smooth.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

I ended up deactivating GSX and I am now enjoying a pretty stutter-free MSFS-performance. Not that I blame the GSX-devs for it, but there must be a reason that - at least with my configuration - I was able to get rid of most of the stutters (Fenix B2). 

Let´s see what SU 15 adds to the performance by the end of march and then I will reconsider activating GSX again.

42 minutes ago, pilotter said:

it was not me posting the video,

Sorry but, it doesn't make any difference, I was just making an example that normally is not that bad (or, at least, I never seen it so bad). Do you also see something like that?

I'm asking because, I posted a video that was WAY better on our form, showing only a couple extremely minor micro-stuttering, not even remotely comparable to what was shown on that video to a user who said GSX is a "stutter fest" for him, and even after I posted, he said he had something similar so, clearly, nobody has the same tolerance to this and what looks to me as micro-stutters, somebody else calls it "stutter fest", and still it was much better than what has been shown.

54 minutes ago, pilotter said:

I am using project lasso

Please clarify:

- Is your frame rate locked

- Have you used process lasso correctly, including (if your CPU has them), assigning MSFS only to P-Cores?

- Do you still have stuttering as bad as in that video that has been posted?

47 minutes ago, pilotter said:

again the only thing stuttering in my sim is GSX vehicle

This is good, and it means the issue is caused exactly by what I explained: GSX is affected by the Simconnect latency/irregularity and it's not CAUSING stuttering to the sim. Which is to be expected because, running entirely external to it, while it has the disadvantage it can be affected by Simconnect latency, it also has the advantage that it cannot slow down the sim.

Again, if you don't have any other apps that use Simconnect and they use that info to SHOW something that moves, you won't even know they are affected to.

I keep repeating this, because you continue to repeat "the only thing stuttering is GSX", as if you don't want to accept the above explanation.

50 minutes ago, pilotter said:

If I do it by the Fenix tablet push back without GSX it's smooth.

Of course: the Default Pushback system doesn't use Simconnect to move the airplane, it's an internal system that takes periodic Left/Right commands but otherwise moves the airplane on its own, so it's not affected the Simconnect eventual lack of regularity due to either variable fps or too much traffic on it because it doesn't communicate with the sim using Simconnect.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, techman said:

I ended up deactivating GSX and I am now enjoying a pretty stutter-free MSFS-performance

I fully agree that movement of GSX vehicles is not as smooth as it was a while ago (I think before SU14), because it seemed that back then the Simconnect latency was better but, saying the sim became smoother after uninstalling GSX is really not possible, you must have changed something else in the meantime, because the mere fact GSX is installed, can't cause stuttering by itself, or something completely different is going on in your case.

Everybody here is saying something different: his whole sim is completely smooth except GSX vehicles, if you really meant what you wrote (your sim became smoother only after you uninstalled GSX), that's a whole different matter which would require a completely different troubleshooting process, and it's not what most have reported this.

Trying to guess, something that might happen is that you might have hit the max number of Simobjects, usually because too many AIs using Simconnect Injection, and when that happens, any Simconnect app will start to receive lots (sometimes thousands) of Simconnect Exceptions to notify the problem, and this not only increases the Simconnect traffic quite a bit, but it causes all app to work even more to handle the exceptions. But this is just one theory and a guess.

Edited by virtuali

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

I fully agree that movement of GSX vehicles is not as smooth as it was a while ago (I think before SU14), because it seemed that back then the Simconnect latency was better but, saying the sim became smoother after uninstalling GSX is really not possible, you must have changed something else in the meantime, because the mere fact GSX is installed, can't cause stuttering by itself, or something completely different is going on in your case.

It´s absolutely reproducable. 

(What also is reproducable is the 3 minutes of extra launch time for MSFS with GSX activated, but that´s another story).

It was smooth until your last update (which came out the same time Fenix B2 came out).

I see - Fenix has just pushed an update out - I will test and come back here if anything spectacular happens (in any direction).

34 minutes ago, techman said:

It´s absolutely reproducable. 

I don't doubt you can reproduce it, but nobody ever reported in this way, you are the first one saying this. Basically, everybody agreed his simulator is completely smooth, the only stutter things are the GSX vehicles, which means GSX is not affecting the sim just because it's there.

34 minutes ago, techman said:

(What also is reproducable is the 3 minutes of extra launch time for MSFS with GSX activated, but that´s another story).

It's normal that any package that adds a large number of files to the sim will add to the startup time, it's the same if you add an AI traffic pack with lots of models and liveries.

You can reduce the startup time significantly by disabling all GSX Airport Services. The only effect of this, is operator selection for the **default** Ground Vehicles (the one used by AI) will be less accurate, being "by region" instead of "by airport", but it should reduce the startup time quite significantly.

Since i limit my fps to 100 instead no limit (130 fps) i don't have stuters during push back, that was the only cas when gsx gave me stuters. This was a recommandation from umbertto on gsx forum.

Frédéric Giraud

1 hour ago, grandfred29 said:

Since i limit my fps to 100 instead no limit (130 fps) i don't have stuters during push back, that was the only cas when gsx gave me stuters. This was a recommandation from umbertto on gsx forum.

oh I limit mine at 100 and stutters all over the place with gsx vehicles. What's your system. I have 7900X3D, rtx 4070

Sergio Naiberg