Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rick Baldwin

VC panning

Hi All!I think I asked this already some months ago. And I am really wondering no one else cares about it. Is it just me? I will never switch to FSX if there's not such a tool like active camera available for it. And I mean exactly what AC has to offer concerning panning in VC: With the mouse. No pre-assigned keys or whatever. Just with the mouse. Sure FSX is getting better with the add-ons every day - I really like it actually. But this doesnt help me, if there's not such thing like AC. I'm not a software engineer, so no idea what challenge it is to programm something like AC, but it seems to be a very difficult task.Keep on flying.Parkhardt

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Now, I just pan my head, but if you don't have a TrackIR... in the VC just press the spacebar and move the mouse to pan the VC. It's been there for over a year.Daniel

You can also create camera angles and assign them to specific keys. I haven't done this myself but maybe the SDK contains the how to's of this feature.

There's a utility called "Wheelcam" by Gunnar Daehling which is similar to Active Camera. The last time I looked at it, it was freeware for FSX, and there's a copy in the AVSIM library you can download. I also use TrackIR, so I haven't touched Wheelcam for a long time, and my info may be out of date.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Also, if you press the Shift+O key, it will keep mouse panning on. Press it again and it turns it off. (Assuming you are using default key assignments).But really, as many, many people here will attest, TrackIR is the way to go. It is awesome! Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

I just got TrackIR and love it. I got the package from Newegg that included the trackclip pro and came with Battle of Britain flight combat game and RFactor race game. I think it's even more amazing in combat flight, being able to see your enemy at all angles.

Apparently, there are those in the IL2 community that consider a TrackIR to be an unfair advantage. If that doesn't make a TrackIR owner do an evil little chuckle, I don't know what would. Unfortunately, IL2 doesn't allow for 6DOF, so it's been a while since I fired that particular program up.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior STaff Reviewer

I feel the same way but for a different reason. I fly in VC only, and I designate 10 views for each airplane by assigning a keystroke. So when I fly heavies, #1 is looking out the windscreen, #2 is head down at instruments, #9 is wing view, etc...In FSX you can do some of this, but it's time consuming and a headache to alter the views. Active Camera is without a doubt the best utility to ever come to FS. I only comment on this in the hope of it coming back for FSXI. I don't care if it's Microsoft or the Active Camera developers, Guillaume Darier and Serge Baye that do it, it needs to come back.

Thomas,As good as TrackIR is, it does not allow you access to places where you cannot place or turn your head -- such as cabin views in particular. Active Camera made cabin views simple. As far as I know this view is not readily available in FSX, is it?-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home

At the risk of repeating myself... Wheelcam did not help? If it didn't, I'll stop bringing it up.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

The first couple of versions did not work to my satisfaction, however, I see a newer version is available. I'll give it a go.

It is if you create a view for wherever you want to sit. True, you can't move around the cockpit easily with TrackIR. But it will allow you to look around in any view that you use, assuming panning is allowed by the view.Setting up views is very easy. For templates and example views for adding cabin seat views, you can check out the Cessna and King Air. The SDK has some good information, but isn't really necessary for figuring out what to do.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Well, even the new version of WheelCam won't work for me. The mouse pointer lags poorly when in use. Hopefully it works for others, it may be my system is too slow.

Using the hat-switch for panning in the VC is much easier than using the mouse, I find.

Jeff,I downloaded and tried Wheelcam. Unfortunately it makes the cursor jerky. On the plus side, the author seems to be updating the program on a regular basis, so maybe a future version will overcome the jerkiness.I'll wait till then to use it.-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home