Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Cute little guy

40 minutes flight time. 120 mph. Removable batteries, so I guess you can swap while the used battery charges.

Visually, you mean? Hopefully it won't have the same fate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Visually, you mean? Hopefully it won't have the same fate

Visually and in terms of concept. If the C5 had ever sold in numbers I wonder how many people would have been peeled off our roads after being flattened by their fellow road users.

In the same way I wonder if these flying concepts ever get off the ground, (sorry:rolleyes:) how many people would find themselves falling out of the sky?  I would imagine the concerns about using these vehicles are essentially similar: "I'm not getting in that thing!"

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

In the same way I wonder if these flying concepts ever get off the ground, (sorry:rolleyes:) how many people would find themselves falling out of the sky?  I would imagine the concerns about using these vehicles are essentially similar: "I'm not getting in that thing!"

There's a multitude of them in development, and the eHang is in operation. I don't really buy the concept of us all flying around in them like we drive our cars, but for short range air taxis they have a role. the military are interested too. 

Safety seems pretty good, with lots of redundancy. 

Then there's the fun, recreational type.

https://www.jetsonaero.com/

Edited by martin-w

Safety seems pretty good, with lots of redundancy. 

Then there's the fun, recreational type.

That’s just it; until Joe Public gets his hands on these I think we simply don’t know what kind of impact (sorry#2) they’ll have.

They do indeed look like a great deal of fun though.

I don't really buy the concept of us all flying around in them like we drive our cars, but for short range air taxis they have a role. 

I'm also a bit sceptical. Air rage gains a new meaning with harried commuters getting in each others airspace. If they were made as completely autonomous air taxis, and communicated with one another, keeping out of each others way, it'd be fine, but of course much less fun. I think they might become common fairly quickly in some metro areas like Sao Paulo. Well I'm neither in Sao Paulo nor do I have much spare cash to try one, but still I'd certainly be curious to try one.

https://foundandexplained.com/2021/07/07/brazils-helicopter-city/

Reason I mentioned Sao Paulo as a likely market.

That's a neat little plane.

Here's the rub: do you really want thousands of people flying these things around willy-nilly?  Well, the good news is that this likely won't happen as the govt. will require anyone flying these to have a private pilot license.

Like some have said, there is a niche market for these as short-range air taxis piloted by licensed and trained pilots.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My $0.02. I'm struggling to see these options as a commercially viable air taxi given the range/payload and a likely very high insurance premium.

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Here's the rub: do you really want thousands of people flying these things around willy-nilly?

Especially during rush hour in Los Angeles.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The robot maid looks unhappy for the George Jetsons.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, dave2013 said:

do you really want thousands of people flying these things around willy-nilly?

I don't live anywhere near Willy-Nilly, so it wouldn't bother me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I don't live anywhere near Willy-Nilly, so it wouldn't bother me.

😛

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

On 3/9/2024 at 2:41 PM, DD_Arthur said:

That’s just it; until Joe Public gets his hands on these I think we simply don’t know what kind of impact (sorry#2) they’ll have.

They do indeed look like a great deal of fun though.

I think the FAA and CAA or whatever body regulates the particular country they are in, will put in place the necessary regulations. 

On 3/9/2024 at 4:12 PM, rmeier said:

My $0.02. I'm struggling to see these options as a commercially viable air taxi given the range/payload and a likely very high insurance premium.

The eHang is already in operation so I understand. And then we have Joby who have acquired a factory in Ohio and have began hiring to support initial manufacturing. So there seems to be lost of optimism regarding the viability. 

Archer say their vehicle will initially be $4 per passenger mile and they hope to get it as low as $1 per passenger mile. Helicopters are generally ten times higher per passenger mile. 

Embraer's EVTOL can fly 150 miles, and United Airlines have ordered 200, with an option for a further 200. They have also put a deposit down for 100 Archer Aviation eVTOL's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-embraer-eve-electric-aircraft-united-ordered-2022-9#the-deal-also-includes-options-for-another-200-eve-aircraft-and-comes-a-month-after-the-airline-paid-a-10-million-pre-delivery-deposit-for-100-evtols-being-developed-by-archer-aviation-united-in-partnership-with-mesa-airlines-has-200-on-order-3