Sign in to follow this  
pmplayer

Nvidia RTX 4080 or RTX 4090 MSFS 4K

Hi guys  😃

I'm thinking of converting my old PC into a new PC in the near future, i.e. buying a new PC, which means I'll order the hardware and assemble it myself.
Now the big question: What do I need for a graphics card, does it have to be a RTX4090 for 4K (4K in any case) or is a RTX4080 16GB also possible?

But I don't have the idea that the MSFS should always have the best settings, such as LOD 300, and not everything has to be on Ultra, sometimes high is also possible, I'm not the super demanding one.

The PC should mainly run MSFS, Photoshop, Lightroom and the like.

What do you think, I look forward to a tip or two.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Can't give you full picture but here is my data point: 4080(24G) with 2K in MSFS is totally fine, high to Ultra setting and smooth at ~80ish FPS, but I didn't fly too much of it so I can't say how it would work with complex add-on (presumably you'll want run FSL's Concord when it came to MSFS?), the iniSim A310 works fine then.

And also smooth without much issue in 4K VR(Quest3 4128X2208) while some settings been dialed down a bit, The only reason I kinda regret not get 4090 is not able to run X-Plane in VR smoothly, but it's more likely XP's issue though

• Like 1

16GB VRAM is the bare minimum for 4K, I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor and the highest VRAM usage I've seen on my 4090 is 15.8GB, that was in Ultra settings on a 3rd party airport with a lot of AI.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)

I have seen as much as 19gb of VRAM used with my 4090 at 4K.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
New info
  • Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 3/13/2024 at 9:59 AM, pmplayer said:

Hi guys  😃

I'm thinking of converting my old PC into a new PC in the near future, i.e. buying a new PC, which means I'll order the hardware and assemble it myself.
Now the big question: What do I need for a graphics card, does it have to be a RTX4090 for 4K (4K in any case) or is a RTX4080 16GB also possible?

cheers 😉

RTX4090 is a whole lot more GPU than RTX4080 or 4080 Super, beyond the add'l VRAM.  I have found at 3440x1440 native I am really loving the incredible sharpness coming from running Render Scale at 160% or higher, it really added unparalled sharpness and that alone was worth the price of admission.  Frame Generation, not so much, I've turned it off. 

temp-Imagegq-P3-Fj.avif

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X