Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Motion Platforms. DOF Reality.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

Interesting topic. Using Honeycomb controllers might be a bit of future liability given the issues with that company at the moment. But I guess controllers can be fairly easily changed. The main feature of course is the DOF and its seems they are finding solutions to small movement stepping issues (jerking) by changing the gear ratio of the spindle and developing a gearbox between the motor and the spindle. Seems novel but also maybe just a bit complex? I do wonder if space, torque requirements or maybe even familiarity from racing simulators with these motors (and associated better pricing with their supplier), have led them this way rather than selecting another choice of motor which might handle the issue without the complexity? For example CNC motors big and small are required to conduct smooth and sometimes intricate operations.  As is often the case I expect price at market is a major factor. 

And, that price is not small. At $US 35,000 this would be about $US 45,000 landed in NZ with 15% GST. About $NZD 75,000. In contrast their 6DOF simulator which they advertise on the Flight tab of their website is only $USD 9,000?  So I don't quite understand the price difference as there must be a lot of transferable technology. In any case I doubt there will be much uptake by Flight Simmers in my country at that price.   

Let's hope the overall increased interest and future demand for DOF simulation coupled with VR brings the price of all this gear down to a more affordable consumer level. And it should do. I mean, it's not new technology, the principle of software controlling hardware is pretty simple (in an engineering sense) and especially controlling the stepper motor itself which has been around since 1919 and was controlling naval gun turrets in the 1920's! But here we are more than 100 years later wondering how to get it to make small movements without jerking? Really?     

For those not sure what a stepper motor is. From Chromes Gemini (AI Suggestions): 

"Stepper motors are used in industrial and commercial applications because of their low cost, high reliability, high torque at low speeds, and simple, rugged construction that operates in almost any environment. The stepper motor is known for its property of converting a train of input pulses (typically square waves) into a precisely defined increment in the shaft's rotational position. Each pulse rotates the shaft through a fixed angle."

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Hey, a time travelling motobility scooter... I've been after one of those for years!

Stu

• Like 3

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

" And, that price is not small. At $US 35,000 this would be about $US 45,000 landed in NZ with 15% GST. "

The H3 that SimHanger shows in video is $2,500, not $35,000. In the video he said he paid $3,500 in Britain because he needed extra mounts, shipping from America, mods to his chair etc.

FlightSimGuy videos show him always using his H2 which is about $1,700.

DOF also has another even cheaper: M2 about $1,200

But there are extras, such as heavy shipping charges (they are in California I believe).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I like the guy's tutorials, but, sorry, this looks absolutely ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

And, that price is not small. At $US 35,000 this would be about $US 45,000 landed in NZ with 15% GST

Huh, H3 model sells for about $3,500 US.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Huh, H3 model sells for about $3,500 US.

Yeah, I don't know where the 35 grand came from. The most expensive version with 6 DOF is somewhere around 7.

LOL. I was on a bus and using my phone without earbuds. So, just used captions to skim through the video. Yeah, I see the numbers in the top right now and I have played the audio so all good but you can see the captions threw me. You can tell my post was mostly querying the illogically high price of this equipment since it really didn't make any sense. Pleased to see it is way more affordable!

Cheers

Terry

AP1GczOi8BFl0dAc2nZp28xOCBUJnF_w4IZjxnLAbYU0KrKqBCvIEgTuLFVPLptYrmUe8Mh2MxqqPxf67VgfgEq_70y0j_90io13xTdg88LsharJL3wNg77NjmbPY_4wyH9If_3QpBbdDyQ7mjCnzyc2xCZMFJmcoIjR6Rv7jiMkcYHP-PolRoBYiEXW8zuZb1iGraM1I1DnzAY_IS73qcmCpBA-ShmKxGf9RQ0Dh98GcSirGu5jQZfHmL-IIKh-o2NqfBWkyOAQ9K_tngbwexJ71JNZtc-fc1hEK5DO7B3HwQ_LKsT3-emSiddTB3d8ozowflPBsRrVbD9FdY5psdgRCZhW1xch0l7b7H-GI87Ra5AESyOeQeu2PZnw95wNu3gAv5s_4EixxN6vCbqxquOR6LdWhA65QqxJttxRd2sXA5Wk5yHLcvRUf-wFodBefmFjdElpKBBP_D_z4p-LShIjOZxZTYc6NpP9wzvRXSlJbPjKQDkJ0G5NTsAmg3YO0RQ_V1gQKeiUpr_IKszSKnWPE4eST6yW9cVx7yZiHzfH_OEdMj2ocyJ6rJguQFqs56cjlPiChRTbTQJweoMfJ6m1FB6mtUVepAmNsRCA7RT59n8Y4E8isFsPInXg7PoH3D6bRyv-P360QPbEeSMuXgNtePTC2iG3OkG4R084vev68LoTwymxtr7_4eYluiCTPplDTOhY6TC20FxjVsNY0UwynvbA5zG7DWSBeJjAhZATGiotVtCYeR5m9fvRXwg7X_CWreubsFsgXTlls0lk4mTugR7hoBSyeejzBvWTNmEcpSHW07p4XFK5Z5jyOyj0MPrZNw9-_wnTDMh4BdFst42fXJWvVHXY4DWZjqarJLxKWmWosBYTUR3KSm_n3TVBL9qLGH_oLIrvAA1cARakmV_Z2QWe=w2631-h1399-s-no-gm?authuser=0

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Posted (edited)

Here I use a Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3, which is just a seat mover but it adds so much to the immersion.

You feel accelerating, braking, banking, climbing, descending, turning.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Seat movers aren’t bad. I used the NLR seat mover in VR for awhile and it adds to the immersion for sure. The downside is that your controls don’t move so it was always a little weird to bank right and be reaching left for your controls. However, you don’t need a lot of actual travel in the motion so once it’s dialed in you can trick your brain well enough.  The other problem with the NLR seat mover was the price tag and that constant clicking and unclicking as you move around. Motion shouldn’t be as loud as that thing is for $3k USD. 

I suspect an NLR or DOF system is somewhere in my future after I upgrade my vid card and VR headset to something with a wider field of view.

I plan to bolt the main controls to the seat so they move with it.