Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Unable to Backup MSFS for Reinstallation

After having continuous CTDs I've been unable to run MSFS for about a week.  After running all checks and fixes nothing works so I want to run an uninstall/reinstall operation.

I've researched all of the pointers on this from MS and this forum (I have the Store version).  The best way seems to be to make a copy of the Official folder (or simply the OneStore folder), then simply copy the data back in when running the reinstall.  However, this will not work.

I am unable to copy or backup the folders.  In fact, when I check my Acronis back-ups it turned out that MSFS isn't being backed up at all!  Apparently, it's been denied access all of this time by something in Windows!

No matter what I try I get the following message: Your organization does not allow you to place this file here.  I'm stymied, as I don't want to have to redownload everything as part of the reinstall...  Any way around this?

Randall Rocke

You might try zipping the folders and moving them to your backup drive.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I just checked on my system, I use Macrium Reflex, and all my MSFS is backed up. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I use Acronis for backup and have no issues with MSFS backups. I just checked and all my files are available to be restored.  Athough my MSFS installation is on a seprate SSD and not installed in the default protected file folder in Windows.  

If you have MSFS installed in the default location, maybe thats the reason Acronis cannot back it up, as this is a Windows Protected folder.  Just a thought. .

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

You might try zipping the folders and moving them to your backup drive.

I'll try this first - otherwise I'm starting from scratch

Randall Rocke

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just checked on my system, I use Macrium Reflex, and all my MSFS is backed up. 

Bob - where did you install it?

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, rickjake said:

If you have MSFS installed in the default location, maybe thats the reason Acronis cannot back it up, as this is a Windows Protected folder.  Just a thought. .

I didn't install it to the default location (C:\, I believe?).  However, I did install it to D:\ without creating a special folder.  Would this have created the same problem as taking the default?

Randall Rocke

29 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Bob - where did you install it?

I have in on a M2 drive, moved last year from C drive. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Been using Synctoy since the dawn of time. Although it is not supported anymore, you can download it from https://m.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/microsoft_synctoy_for_windows_xp,1.html.

It works in Win10 and Win11. I use it before every MSFS update to backup the official folder and the community folder. One of the best utilities ever.  

• Like 1

Leon Gerber

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core 4.12 Ghz (water cooled)GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12 GBMemory: Corsair 32GB / MB:  Asustek computer, TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4) / SSD: Samsung 2GB 2x / HD: Seagate 4 GBPSU: ROG Strix 1000W

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RandallR said:

I didn't install it to the default location (C:\, I believe?).  However, I did install it to D:\ without creating a special folder.  Would this have created the same problem as taking the default?

What folders do you have in your d: drive?

Edited by Matt Webb

Matt Webb

10 hours ago, RandallR said:

However, I did install it to D:\ without creating a special folder.

Why?

7 hours ago, Baron58 said:

Been using Synctoy since the dawn of time. Although it is not supported anymore, you can download it from https://m.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/microsoft_synctoy_for_windows_xp,1.html.

It works in Win10 and Win11. I use it before every MSFS update to backup the official folder and the community folder. One of the best utilities ever.  

at my end synctoy can not syncronize or echeos or contribute files which are encrypted, is there a hidden switch or something else what I'm missing (Win10, all updatet)? Best regards

Ralf Andreas

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Matt Webb said:

What folders do you have in your d: drive?

Many - a lot of programs. 🙂

However, way back when FS2020 came out and it asked for a location for installing it showed a default of C;\.  I changed it to D:\ (the root).  After the installation and a rather frustrating search I found it in...

D:WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2610037304-2891976329-3409416837-1001\AppData\Local\Packages

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke

The reason I have used Macrium Reflex for years, is once my Hard drive crashed. I went to Best Buys, bought a brand new Harddrive, installed it, started Macrium, and it loaded my brand new harddrive with everything that was on the original. Restarted PC, and I was right back where I left off. Can't beat that. 

3 hours ago, Reader said:

Why?

I mainly wanted to make sure it didn't get on my C:\ drive, as I only allow the OS and associated system maintenance programs I use to reside there.

Most programs install into \Program Files and or make their own obvious subfolder on the chosen drive.  I was installing MSFS 2020 early in its history and we were still learning of its idiosyncrasies.  I was surprised to see where it ended up, but once I made a desktop shortcut to it for quick access, it was OK.

The only reinstall I have ever done was in January after building a new system.  I had cloned everything over to the new drives but the MSFS folders were empty (now we know why).  I did a complete reinstall and everything has been running with no issues (until now).

Randall Rocke