Sign in to follow this  
Corsten

Corsten´s cache & shader removal tool

https://flightsim.to/file/71729/corsten-s-cache-shader-removal-tool

Use at your own risk! 

VBS -scripts are made by ChatGPT. Tool has been tested and works good with steam & store versions. Tested also with Nvidia and AMD graphics cards.

What is the point to clean your MSFS cache and GPU drivers shader cache?
- MSFS cache and shader cache  makes MSFS run less smoother, when cache arent cleaned for a while.
- Specialy Sim updates and world updates makes MSFS run less smoother because of incombatible cache files.
- New GPU graphics drives could also make a diffrence in smoothness, so shader cache and MSFS cache is recodemmend to be cleaned with these tools after GPU driver update.

Shader cache removal tool
- This script will move shader cache folders to desktop and creates a folder and 'cache_locations.txt' file inside of that folder.
- with that cache_locations.txt you can see, where the tool did move cache. Basicly it is a backup.
- Make sure to disable shader cache in Nvidia Control Panel, otherwise, all the shaders won't be cleaned.
- If there is problems with moving, try to restart pc and try again. Cache folders might be in use by some process.

Use at your own risk.

MSFS cache removal tool
- This script will move MSFS cache folders to desktop and creates a folder and 'cache_locations.txt' file inside of that folder.
- with that cache_locations.txt you can see, where the tool did move cache. Basicly it is a backup.
- If there is problems with moving, try to restart pc and try again. Cache MSFS folders might be in use by some process.

Here are the locations, tools are looking for:

Shader Cache locations:
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\D3DSCache
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\GLCache
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\shadercache\
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\NVIDIA\ComputeCache
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion\DXCache
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion\GLCache
- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache

MSFS cache locations:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\cache
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\cache
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SceneryCache
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SceneryIndexes
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\DCE

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryCache
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\cache
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\DCE

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Nice idea. Does this also cover the Disc Cleanup for Windows recommended step? 

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Thanks for the great guide and removal tool! I always clear cache with every MSFS and NVidia driver update. I do it in safe mode to get rid of everything. 

By the way, I see that you have the gift of spelling hangar correctly 😅

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Thanks for this tool. I do have one question though,

Does it also remove the Manually created cache & rolling cache from MSFS? 

Real Life Flight Sim Pilot

I'm quite interested in trying this tool but would prefer to see a bit more feedback before giving it a go.  Does it come with any drawbacks or risks?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

So, I just tried it and to answer my own question it doesn't delete the MSFS Manually Created and Rolling Cache.

It did give me a few errors though which I think is because I don't have my Steam installed in the default location/drive so the script couldn't find any of my MSFS Cache and gave me errors. My Steam is in my d: folder so is my MSFS install. 

I did work for the NVIDIA Cache thought. 

Real Life Flight Sim Pilot

VBS script made by ChatGPT? Yeah, no thanks.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sethos said:

VBS script made by ChatGPT? Yeah, no thanks.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is that bad?

Btw I only do the following: 

• delete .dat files in %localAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

• delete Content.xml and ROLLINGCACHE.CCC in %localAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Computer code creating computer code.  Its not a Star Wars Dooms Day scenario (theirs's is evil people)...but surely an iRobot, Terminator, Matrix theme (evil AI and computers/robots/cyborgs).

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

9 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Btw I only do the following: 

• delete .dat files in %localAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

• delete Content.xml and ROLLINGCACHE.CCC in %localAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Because if you are unable to create a simple VBS script to delete some files, without resorting to an AI doing it for you, means the creator probably has little clue what he's doing and thus I wouldn't trust executing that code on my computer. Plus if the AI does spit out some dangerous code, who's to say he will even catch it or can help troubleshoot anything?

People will run anything on their PC these days.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 hours ago, Vali said:

Nice idea. Does this also cover the Disc Cleanup for Windows recommended step? 

No at this point. I can try to find solution for that.

Tool is giving errors

- if you have nvidia gpu and trying to clear amd cache. I did want to include all scenarios in one script.

- folder to remove is used by another app, therefore reboot and disabling shader cache is must before running the tool scripts.

- there isnt such folders, i had those all generated but i might taka several games to have something in GLcache folder for example.

Yes, i dont have skills to do this kind a code so chatGPT is great tool to have. Gemini could be even better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Computer code creating computer code.  Its not a Star Wars Dooms Day scenario (theirs's is evil people)...but surely an iRobot, Terminator, Matrix theme (evil AI and computers/robots/cyborgs).

lol 😆 That’s almost like machines making machines. 3PO would faint… 

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Because if you are unable to create a simple VBS script to delete some files, without resorting to an AI doing it for you, means the creator probably has little clue what he's doing and thus I wouldn't trust executing that code on my computer. Plus if the AI does spit out some dangerous code, who's to say he will even catch it or can help troubleshoot anything?

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll just continue doing it manually then (not even skilled enough to create a simple batch file, lol)

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

This seems like a great idea, I think I will wait a little longer to see how people are doing with it. 

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11

I think i have to separate scripts for all platforms, people are confused with errors that are fine, not errors.

2 minutes ago, Corsten said:

I think i have to separate scripts for all platforms, people are confused with errors that are fine, not errors.

But if something states "error" to a user, they're never going to be fine with it.

Corsten, I love your GA AI work.  It's amazing.  But I think your work here needs more time to perfect.  I ran the MSFS Cache Cleaner (MSFS Store) and it worked fine.   But the Nvidia cache tool generated error messages - even with NCP Shader Cache set to Disabled and after a reboot.     Again, in terms of perception, no-one wants to use a tool that generates an error message - even if you tell them it' fine.  👍

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)