Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Parallax Interiors

What do you guys think about parallax interiors? I personally hate them. They move in a weird way when my plane moves, and they just look fake. A complete immersion killer. I would prefer to see opaque window textures rather than parallax interiors if a fully modelled 3D interior is not an option.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

i prefer some parallax interiors like ini build implement in the recent update of new york and Honolulu airports than have fps frop 10 cause interior render, if they give a options like ini build does in some airports  is good for preference  of the user

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

What do you guys think about parallax interiors? I personally hate them. They move in a weird way when my plane moves, and they just look fake. A complete immersion killer. I would prefer to see opaque window textures rather than parallax interiors if a fully modelled 3D interior is not an option.

I disagree, if implemented well, parallax windows is a great solution, especially for things like side buildings, hotels, offices and to some degree terminals which don't have interior's. 

Nothing beats a proper interior modelling of course, even "shallow" interior's are better for less important buildings, but to me parallax is a good solution instead of opaque windows.

For me opaque windows is a dated approach that is an immersion killer, even worse at night!

But sure, like everything else, you can implement parallax in a poor way and then it doesn't look great.

From top of my head, Roman Design used parallax really well in his Ottawa airport, but lot of others who do it well too!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

As I'm not someone who ever walks into airports or other buildings, I kind of resent every FPS that is lost to complex interiors.  I find a well done parallax interior is a fantastic, creative way of having the immersion of an interior (particularly from the view of your plane), with almost no performance consideration whatsoever.

So I really like them, and believe the technology/approach is lightyears ahead of just making windows opaque.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

If they are done properly I think they can look good. Some of them look silly with the incorrect scale, etc.  I think they look really odd at FSDT KIAH.  The hotel rooms are all perfectly visible at night....no curtains or anything.  It looks really strange...I think it would be more realistic to just use a glass-like texture with maybe a dim glow to them. 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

12 hours ago, Maelmoor said:

I disagree, if implemented well, parallax windows is a great solution, especially for things like side buildings, hotels, offices and to some degree terminals which don't have interiors

^ This, though I prefer at least a basic 3D interior for terminals.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Parallax works really well on most airports that implement them.

I've not come across any that have caused me to lose immersion like the OP describes.

Keep those Frames up where they need to be please airport developers who are looking over this thread.

Jase

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

To be fair, I have seen some that are OK (where the area covered is very minimal), but extensive use over relatively large areas (like terminal buildings) just does not cut it with me. In those situations, even opaque window textures make me feel more comfortable.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm a pilot-perspective airport lover and not a let's-drone-into-this-terminal-looking-for-a-McDo. I remember very good parallax effect in some airport building I forgot (this show my level of attention for this feature). If I have to choose I would definitely focus developer on parallax  feature instead of 3D interior.

Of course, if badly implemented, parallax should replaces by just an appropriate texture.

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio