Sign in to follow this  
Noell

Startup Oddity

Since two days ago, every time I start the sim I'm given the option to start in Safe mode.

I simply select Normal and everything runs perfectly with no error messages showing on startup or shutdown.

Anyone have any idea why the Safe mode option is being presented at every startup?

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Some weird stuff has started happening since a week or so.

I experienced not that but other flavours of weirdiness 🙂 but it looks like at least for now on my side it has gone...

Anyway, I suggest you logoff and then login again with your MS account used in the sim.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for the reply. Tried a logout/login. No joy.

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

I've not been getting that, but for the last 2 or 3 days I have been getting the 'press any key to start' message which takes me to the X Box App login and when I log out and log back in, MSFS will still not start.  Whilst a reboot has solved up until now, I do wonder what is going on.  Once I reboot, all runs normally.

With this and your problem Noell, I wonder whether some server issues are at play again.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The safe mode glitch has been corrected in the latest Beta release.  Apparently, it affected all versions - not just the beta.  You should be rid of it when they release SU15.  In the meantime, just choose the other option (can't remember what it says, but run in regular mode is the idea).  There was also a problem with starting in Windows mode (cleared with R-ALT + ENTER), but it has also been fixed.

John Wingold

Thanks, guys.

This safe mode glitch only showed up on my system two days ago and, come to think of it, so did the sim always starting in windowed mode.

Weird goings on for sure. 

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Some weird stuff has started happening since a week or so.

Indeed some wizardry in the backyard. Just judging by almost daily ms store updates of Xbox app …. Currently again all fine on my end after some ups and downs with funny press any key and insert disc messages lately …

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Not saying this will work in the meantime but, if you haven't already tried it, start in safe mode then exit the sim as normal. Restart the PC (just in case it might help) and see if you are still getting the safe mode/normal mode screen. You never know...

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Not saying this will work in the meantime but, if you haven't already tried it, start in safe mode then exit the sim as normal. Restart the PC (just in case it might help) and see if you are still getting the safe mode/normal mode screen. You never know...

Already tried this but found it changed nothing with regard to getting the safe mode/normal mode choice at sim startup. 

2 hours ago, Noell said:

Already tried this but found it changed nothing with regard to getting the safe mode/normal mode choice at sim startup.

Pity. Thought I'd suggest it as sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones you overlook.

Other zero risk possibilities* are a) repair MSFS in Windows Settings/Apps and b) repair Windows using the Media Creation Tool on the Windows download page for Win10 or Win11 as appropriate. All sorts of MSFS startup and update issues end up being fixed by option b). I'm thinking of claiming commission each time I suggest it. 😁

* as much as anything can be zero risk.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Pity. Thought I'd suggest it as sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones you overlook.

Other zero risk possibilities* are a) repair MSFS in Windows Settings/Apps and b) repair Windows using the Media Creation Tool on the Windows download page for Win10 or Win11 as appropriate. All sorts of MSFS startup and update issues end up being fixed by option b). I'm thinking of claiming commission each time I suggest it. 😁

* as much as anything can be zero risk.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm using the Steam version and I used the Steam verify files option and then did a reinstall. It didn't change anything and, seeing other simmers are seeing the same thing, I'm thinking/hoping it will get sorted once SU15 drops.

🤞

I used to have this issue for many months when I first got the sim. It went away eventually. No idea what caused it.

Any update on these annoyances:

Sim not saving the full screen mode and still getting  the Safe mode option presented at every startup

Are those on the SU15 beta seeing this?

3 minutes ago, Noell said:

Any update on these annoyances:

Sim not saving the full screen mode and still getting  the Safe mode option presented at every startup

Are those on the SU15 beta seeing this?

I'm expecting (or hoping) SU 15 will sort these things (along with ground physics, etc.).  What's the latest on the expected release date?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)