Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Why MSFS must be XBox like or die

13 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

Then the big confirmation surprised us all that wx access would never come despite being the #1 requested wishlist item at the time (and it's still a top item).

I'm very positive they said a while ago WX access is now being discussed internally.

However, since they have always been working on weather and are working on it for MSFS 2024, I think a likely reason for keeping it shut may be that it's a constant work in progress and opening it up wouldn't work out well due its ever changing nature. I could be a thousand miles off, obviously.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Hmmmm.... My post was hidden. Reading it again, and don't see anything controversial.....

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Hmmmm.... My post was hidden. Reading it again, and don't see anything controversial.....

Didn't seem controversial to me either.....

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Posted (edited)

The fact that they're fed by Meteoblue data doesn't pair with the end quality of the weather effects, other than the visuals in some aspects.

They haven't yet solved the "low visibility" limitations, which can be somehow circumvented using their "aerosols" approach, METAR consistency still has it's quirks, as well as how "METAR weather" merges with aloft / model-based weather, some more detailled features only work when "Real World Weather" is in use (like Gopotential height variation due to high / low temperatures) but not with manually defined / preset weather, they don't offer Historical Weather, they model thermals in a totally inconsistent way, making soaring weather (convective) rather unrealistic, etc...

There's room for sure for a good weather program to overcome some of these limitations, like injecting proper turbulence effects instead of that freak shaking that is present at times in our MSFS flights, merge METAR with aloft in a more consistent way, customize visibility even with it's present modelling limitations, etc...

OTOH, I really don't know what's comming for MSFS 2024 (?) in this particular area, but I'm tempted to believe not much is planed to change (?)

Let's hope for he Best ! 

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Never been so sim-happy... MSFS 2020 &  (FSHUD & FSLTL # BATC)

8 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

I'm very positive they said a while ago WX access is now being discussed internally.

However, since they have always been working on weather and are working on it for MSFS 2024, I think a likely reason for keeping it shut may be that it's a constant work in progress and opening it up wouldn't work out well due its ever changing nature. I could be a thousand miles off, obviously.

From my understanding, it was taken off the table, then a few months ago was indicated that it is being discussed again, then very recently taken off the table again due to data licensing issues preventing "read" access (as mentioned, that doesn't apply to us, we write not read).

While I agree that this is a common speculated or cited reason, could you (or anyone) explain how being able to set the weather conditions as has always been available until now would prevent further progress in internal weather development?  I just can't see it.  We've always been setting weather, 24 years now.  And only now it's preventing progress?  I seem to remember FS2004's cloud system being a major innovation and breakthrough that can only be considered progress.  And FSX's furthering of that and expanded weather and theme system.  And XP12's new weather system.  All very good progress.  MSFS2020's weather is very good.  They implemented many, many things that AS has been doing for many years now, along with brand new things that only they could being integrated into the graphics and terrain engines.  But why not let us keep doing what we've been doing while keeping the progress, as always?  Instead of us hurting progress, I'd say we've helped enable it.  But of course I'm biased.

• Like 3

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

@Damian Clark Is there no way for Hi-Fi to 'hack' MSFS' METAR stations reporting to give more than just one global weather scenario at a time?

Alternatively, is there a way to replace what MSFS imports from MeteoBlue to replicate entire weather systems using your own sourced data?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

From my understanding, it was taken off the table, then a few months ago was indicated that it is being discussed again, then very recently taken off the table again due to data licensing issues preventing "read" access (as mentioned, that doesn't apply to us, we write not read).

While I agree that this is a common speculated or cited reason, could you (or anyone) explain how being able to set the weather conditions as has always been available until now would prevent further progress in internal weather development?  I just can't see it.  We've always been setting weather, 24 years now.  And only now it's preventing progress?  I seem to remember FS2004's cloud system being a major innovation and breakthrough that can only be considered progress.  And FSX's furthering of that and expanded weather and theme system.  And XP12's new weather system.  All very good progress.  MSFS2020's weather is very good.  They implemented many, many things that AS has been doing for many years now, along with brand new things that only they could being integrated into the graphics and terrain engines.  But why not let us keep doing what we've been doing while keeping the progress, as always?  Instead of us hurting progress, I'd say we've helped enable it.  But of course I'm biased.

As for the licensing issue, perhaps opening up the weather would expose data that is contractually to be kept under wraps, even if someone doesn't intend on using this data.

My reasoning for them keeping third parties out of the weather system because of continuous work and changes being made to it is that perhaps, they are changing parts crucial to third party weather creation that would break support for them with every other iteration. But I'm not a software developer, so I could very well be wrong.

Edited by threexgreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

@Damian Clark Is there no way for Hi-Fi to 'hack' MSFS' METAR stations reporting to give more than just one global weather scenario at a time?

Alternatively, is there a way to replace what MSFS imports from MeteoBlue to replicate entire weather systems using your own sourced data?

Of course there's always a way.  We've so far decided it's too risky, there was too much to lose if there was some mandatory required enforcement in their contract(s) that we would be subjected to.  But now, we have nothing to lose.  Nothing.  We're starving.  So maybe we can do this, if we can figure out how to feed ourselves while working on it.  We haven't given up yet.

• Upvote 2

Damian Clark

1 minute ago, Damian Clark said:

Of course there's always a way.  We've so far decided it's too risky, there was too much to lose if there was some mandatory required enforcement in their contract(s) that we would be subjected to.  But now, we have nothing to lose.  Nothing.  We're starving.  So maybe we can do this, if we can figure out how to feed ourselves while working on it.  We haven't given up yet.

Has work/profitability really dried up that much on the other sims?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jcomm said:

OTOH, I really don't know what's comming for MSFS 2024 (?) in this particular area, but I'm tempted to believe not much is planed to change (?)

Let's hope for he Best ! 

We know only a few things so far.

1. The weather system has been completely rewritten

2. The above has allowed the new system to be advanced enough to dynamically create tornadoes

3. In response to a "clouds sometimes look ugly" bug listing, Asobo has it scheduled as, "Planned, MSFS 2024(launch, no + sign)"

Now for the third one, I can only speculate that this has something to do with the ash clouds we see sometimes in the sim. It was explained that this occurs because of limitations in the sim's lighting model. The current engine would be severely bogged down if they were to implement the proper light scattering that would prevent the overly grey look.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

8 minutes ago, Krakin said:

We know only a few things so far.

1. The weather system has been completely rewritten

Are you 100% sure on that? I don't recall any mention of the weather system being "completely rewritten" of course I may of forgotten(!), source please, thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

14 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Now for the third one, I can only speculate that this has something to do with the ash clouds we see sometimes in the sim. It was explained that this occurs because of limitations in the sim's lighting model. The current engine would be severely bogged down if they were to implement the proper light scattering that would prevent the overly grey look.

One of the devs did say having light effect clouds realistically would be very hard on performance.

13 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

Of course there's always a way.

Hope you are able to find one or two as I'm more than simply interested in a Hi-Fi solution to MSFS weather.

Perhaps a 'lite' version of a weather product as a stopgap that can manage more than one layer of clouds or greater cloud variety and density than MSFS' own live weather can manage?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

One of the devs did say having light effect clouds realistically would be very hard on performance.

Too hard and it might become nearly impossible to import to Xbox? For my part I expect and accept such compromises 

Devons rig

8 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

My reasoning for them keeping third parties out of the weather system because of continuous work and changes being made to it is that perhaps, they are changing parts crucial to third party weather creation that would break support for them. But I'm not a software developer, so I could very well be wrong.

That's reasonable.  I suppose my bias makes me a bit blind to this aspect even though I deal with it myself from my end.  It would certainly complicate matters in at least some way and take at least a little effort.  If this is the final reason, it's too bad that effort can't be realized like before and like in all other platforms, or most other areas of this sim. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

Damian Clark