Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

NEW EYE TRACKER

1 hour ago, s0cks said:

You don't need one, no.

So a 30 FPS camera will give me fluid motion even if I run the sim at 60 FPS at all times, correct?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Posted (edited)

I wonder if picking your nose or something like that would influence how this software works... Wouldn't it see that as motion somehow? (I wear glasses and probably will only use the head tracking.)

Edited by tup61

On 4/3/2024 at 8:50 PM, verbal said:

Unrelated - that Overkill guy on youtube certainly lives up to his name - I got 8+ minutes into that video before he even started getting down to the nuts and bolts of what I thought the video was meant to be about. Dude - get to the point already. 😵

I hate Youtubers who do this. It reminds me of going to a webpage for a cooking recipe. 15 paragraphs later of nonsense filler I finally get to the actual recipe. 

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

So a 30 FPS camera will give me fluid motion even if I run the sim at 60 FPS at all times, correct?

Higher fps will be better. Whether you deem it smooth enough at 30fps is for your judgement only. Give it a go.

• Like 1

My phones camera only outputs at 30fps (I can increase it by rooting the phone but cant be bothered to do that), whilst the view is a touch "jerky" it's worse if I move my head fast, slow turns and it's just fine & smooth. Being used to VR then jerkiness at times is something I've grown accustomed too anyway, but as before I'm only looking at Head/Eye Tracking as an alternative at certain times so I can easily live with it as it is now.

I'm approaching the end of the free trial (this has been increased to 3 hours for new users FYI) so I'm trying to decide whether I want to fork out for the full package or not, it's certainly a fairly decent alternative to VR but for me it'll never fully replace it so it's whether I'll use it enough to justify it's purchase 🤔

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I tried TrackIR for years on and off, never did feel right, that whole move your head around whilst keeping your eyes looking ahead is nowhere near realistic for me. I always thought what I probably would get on with betteris eye tracking, anyone previous trackir userswho felt the same about trackir feel that this eye tracker is a whole lot better?

5 hours ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

I tried TrackIR for years on and off, never did feel right, that whole move your head around whilst keeping your eyes looking ahead is nowhere near realistic for me.

yeah it's a very strange way of doing it and somewhat alien to me, I suppose myself coming from a sim racing background it never appealed to me pre-VR for that reason and that reason alone.

I would say, being "new" to this tech and getting to grips with it this weekend that there's 3 key areas to get the best from the experience;

1. The software obviously comes first, this Beam + OpenTrack seem to work perfectly fine to me.
  2. You need a large monitor, not just ultrawide but ultra tall as well!
  3. You need that monitor as close as possible to get the most from "looking" around.

My free demo time is almost up, having played a bit in MSFS and TSW4 it's been decent, but of course nowhere near VR which is my go too. I did try this very briefly in a racing sim and nearly fell over laughing it was such a weird experience at full speed 😄but I can see it's appeal with ETS2 for sure. I'll think about a Beam purchase as a backup to those hot summer days when VR is too much, but until then I'll park it for now I think.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

You definitely need to mess with the curves in Opentrack to get it feeling as good as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have messed around with this for a few days and am giving up on it.  In the fenix my center view is too high and i cannot see the PFD etc without having to continue lowering my head.  I have tried adjusting camera heights in MSFS but nothing seems to resolve it.  Pity as it has potential.  Hopefully as they develop the software it improves.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Shrek1970 said:

I have messed around with this for a few days and am giving up on it.  In the fenix my center view is too high and i cannot see the PFD etc without having to continue lowering my head.  I have tried adjusting camera heights in MSFS but nothing seems to resolve it.  Pity as it has potential.  Hopefully as they develop the software it improves.

In Opentrack you can also adjust the axis offsets. So for example if you are too close you can adjust the Z axis offset.

However it sounds like you just don't like looking down. Which is fair enough. Tbh neither do I. But I probably wouldn't use this on an airliner anyway. It's better suited for VFR flights in planes where you don't often need to look down. 

Edited by s0cks

I have tried several settings and situations now (in MSFS, Farming Sim 22, DCS) with Beam Eye.

I am a long term TrackIR user and would really like to avoid the Hat + reflector or the wireless IR sender on my Headset, so maybe im not completely objective.

My summary: I think, Beam Eye is not really bad as a cheap solution, but it is far away from the precision, smoothness and reaction time of TrackIR. In my opinion still unbeatable.

My critics:

- The position is always a little bit jittery (like in a bad VR headset). When you zoom on the FMC, its hard to hit the clickspots sometimes.

- Looking up/down and especially backwards is not really working good. E.g. in the Farmin Sim 22 i often need to look back or in DCS in a Dogfight, you need to look everwhere.

- I have to recenter very often.

- Smoothness is far from TrackIR

And yes, i have also considered and tested different lightning conditions, with and without glasses etc in my gaming room.

So for me, experiment finished with a NO GO.

• Like 4

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I got myself a copy, not really happy with it and setting all axis up is somehow a real hassle. Has anyone a good opentrack profile I might use as a start?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS