Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Youtube anti commercial hack.

I don't know how to eliminate commercials on Youtube but  I know how to speed them up 6 or 7 times faster.

I happen to use Firefox browser for everything. I installed "Custom Video Speed for Youtube" browser extension (free). l set the hotkeys for speed up and slow down to: - and =   ..no doubt other web browsers have similar addon extensions.

When a commercial starts to play I just hold down the = key and watch the speed numbers increase in the extension pop up speedometer as the video keeps playing. And the Youtube display of commercial add time remaining now decreases super fast. 

The talking head selling deodorant or fast food flies by at lightning speed, and as it approaches 0, I just hold down the - key and watch the speedometer slow back to 1.0 (normal). 

Two key presses to restore my sanity.

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The talking head's lips move so fast it looks like a blur! 😁

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Nah, I just use adnauseam, so far it works, and the best part is it also clicks all AD at the background so I don't need to see any ads, google don't know what AD I like the most since I've clicked them all, and both the platform and content creator got the sweet sweet ad money from those scammers who put these nauseate AD on the internet in the first place, win-win-win IMO.

uBlock Origin gets rid of the YouTube ads for me, at least on Chrome. Adnauseum in built on top of it, but I would imaging the click fraud detection algorithms would kick in so the content creators probably won't benefit from those clicks anyway. It might even hurt their revenue in the long run.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I use Youtube premium, which allows me to watch videos commercial-free (without the need to use any tools), download them on my smartphone and listen to the audio while the screen is turned off. That service costs money, but if it's worth to you, I would give it a consideration.

19 hours ago, Fielder said:

I don't know how to eliminate commercials on Youtube but  I know how to speed them up 6 or 7 times faster.

I happen to use Firefox browser for everything. I installed "Custom Video Speed for Youtube" browser extension (free). l set the hotkeys for speed up and slow down to: - and =   ..no doubt other web browsers have similar addon extensions.

When a commercial starts to play I just hold down the = key and watch the speed numbers increase in the extension pop up speedometer as the video keeps playing. And the Youtube display of commercial add time remaining now decreases super fast. 

The talking head selling deodorant or fast food flies by at lightning speed, and as it approaches 0, I just hold down the - key and watch the speedometer slow back to 1.0 (normal). 

Two key presses to restore my sanity.

Try: ClipGrab - Free YouTube Downloader & Converter

ClipGrab is a free downloader and converter for YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and many other online video sites. It converts downloaded videos to MPEG4, MP3 or other formats in just one easy step

If I remember correctly, I started using ClipGrab after reading an article in PC Magazine or PC World magazine.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

All right I will give that a try. For Firefox, Legibility extension makes for easy resizing text display of any webpage with sliders. You can see the size of the text change as you move the sliders.

I watched a 43 minute video via my AppleTV box this afternoon. There must have been 6 ad breaks which means one every 6 minutes. It’s becoming ridiculous but I won’t pay for the ad-free version and I don’t have the option of this hack.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On Youtube the popular adds seem to be variations of quarterback Tom Brady jumping up and down on the interview couch excited about a free electric car rental at Hertz.

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I watched a 43 minute video via my AppleTV box this afternoon. There must have been 6 ad breaks which means one every 6 minutes. It’s becoming ridiculous but I won’t pay for the ad-free version and I don’t have the option of this hack.

Yeah, its ridicuIous. I stopped watching TV mostly and starting to get word not allowed off by YouTube too.   They're drip dripping ads.  Not long ago it was 5-15 seconds. Nowadays it's increasing. Some are for 30 seconds and then followed with 15 and another 5 second ad. Sometimes there are ads that can't be skipped too. 

Way back when... you paid for cable and everything in it was completely ad free. Not so now. 

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I stopped watching TV decades ago because of the ads.  We already had mute buttons on our remote controls and it wasn't enough.

I went to the movies several years back (paid full ticket price, of course) and they had ads.  Not trailers, ads for products.  I was the only one in the theater who voiced a loud complaint.

I watched a video ("Hogfather") on Amazon Prime a few days ago and it had ads.  A few years ago all the cool quirky features I used to watch on Prime started requiring subscriptions... many different subscriptions.  Prime price keeps increasing and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it at all.  I don't mind paying for Kindle Unlimited as I read 185 books in the last year, almost all were Unlimited.

I use AdBlock Plus which deals with YouTube ads fairly well but may have a memory leak of some kind as my base memory usage goes up slowly when I watch YouTube.  Doesn't matter, I can reboot often enough.

Hook

PS.  Cool quirky feature on Prime: "Rubber" about a living car tire.  An actual tire, live action.  They somehow gave it a personality.  I wanted to watch it again but it was subscription only.  It's currently unavailable "in my location" but you can see the trailer.

PPS.  The last time I went to the theater the first thing that came up was the Netflix logo.  My group and another group were the only ones there.  It didn't even take up the full screen area.  I think the movie was "Starship Troopers", a satire made by a guy who didn't read the book.  Cool visuals though.

PPPS.  Is a VPN worth it?

H.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Way back when... you paid for cable and everything in it was completely ad free. Not so now.

When they first started talking about Pay TV in the 50's or 60's, everyone hated the idea.  We didn't realize that it would show better content and all ad free.  

When I got back from Germany in 1976 (I was in the Army) and moved to a house around 1980, we couldn't get TV reception and had to get cable.  I very quickly decided it was well worth the price, along with a bundle of movie channels like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.  A few years ago we dropped Dish because it didn't have local channels and went to rabbit ears.  Currently using rabbit ears to receive digital TV local channels but my wife is the only one watching.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I pay for the subscription to not have the ads, but I also make money from Google so I am just giving a tiny bit back to not have the ads, but ads are good for me because I get paid when people see them 😁

Matthew Kane

" Cool quirky feature on Prime: "Rubber" about a living car tire.  An actual tire, live action.  They somehow gave it a personality.  I wanted to watch it again but it was subscription only. "

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round"... It's also on Sesame Street". 🙂

7 hours ago, Fielder said:

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round"... It's also on Sesame Street". 🙂

I doubt the one on Sesame Street was homicidal. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins