Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Propulsion breakthrough?

Or nonsense?

You decide.

https://thedebrief.org/nasa-veterans-propellantless-propulsion-drive-that-physics-says-shouldnt-work-just-produced-enough-thrust-to-defeat-earths-gravity/

"Dr. Charles Buhler, a NASA engineer and the co-founder of Exodus Propulsion Technologies, has revealed that his company’s propellantless propulsion drive, which appears to defy the known laws of physics, has produced enough thrust to counteract Earth’s gravity."

• Like 1

"A veteran of such storied programs as NASA’s Space Shuttle, the International Space Station (ISS), The Hubble Telescope, and the current NASA Dust Program, Buhler and his colleagues believe their discovery of a fundamental new force represents a historic breakthrough that will impact space travel for the next millennium"

I scanned through his presentation at the APEC conference (which is not a major scientific conference). He starts with solid physics, but becomes sketchy when he talks about the interesting parts. I am always a bit cautious when people found companies around an idea that has not passed peer review, and they promise big breakthroughs. There is now an entire industry around start-up companies that appeal to high-risk high-gain investors. I would count the Boom supersonic jet as one example, and that one is on much firmer ground than this propulsion idea. I personally will not invest into Buhler's company 🙂

Peter

• Like 1

Beam me up, Mister Buhler...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Beam me up, Mister Buhler...

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"Thank you Simone", LOL...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

It's either true or false. If they are getting Thrust that exceeds 1g from a system with no fuel in then something new is being discovered. If its false they are either lying or so bad at science and RnD that it would be impossible for them to ever have succeeded at anything notwithstanding a broken clock is right twice a day. So in the latter case they are lying. In the absence of a big sphere hovering 10 feet off the ground for all to see Occam's razor suggests they are lying. So the only remaining question is why?

I believe this is legit.  It makes sense that electrical forces could accelerate a mass.

Now, exactly how electrical pressure produces a force is the question.  Personally, I believe that the electric field distorts space, just as gravity does, and this produces an acceleration.

Pretty cool.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

11 hours ago, dave2013 said:

[1] It makes sense that electrical forces could accelerate a mass.

[2] I believe that the electric field distorts space, just as gravity does, and this produces an acceleration.

[1] Yes, they do. But generally forces need some source of energy to be created, and Buhler claims a new type of force that does not require an energy source. 

[2] The commonly accepted view in the physics community is that gravity is distortion of space. It corresponds to a measurable effect of space-time curvature, not the cause. The cause of curvature is energy (there is a bit more to it, but energy is the dominating source). Since electromagnetic fields contain energy, they do indeed distort space. However, the effect of is generally tiny compared to that of the rest energy E = m c2 of an object of mass m.

• Like 2

I remember reading a book years ago about the discs found at Roswell. The propulsion systems were based on creating a magnetic field around the ship creating its own gravity or something to that effect. If I remember correctly, the system was very simple. Not sure if this article relates in any way to what I've said here though.

We just watched Salvation, a TV show from 2017. I think it was episode 2: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6684314/?ref_=ttep_ep2

The show is about diverting a meteor from hitting Earth. And guess what: they need an EM drive to accomplish that, and that drive uses the Casimir effect. Just what Buhler is promoting 😄

3 minutes ago, qqwertz said:

We just watched Salvation, a TV show from 2017. I think it was episode 2: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6684314/?ref_=ttep_ep2

The show is about diverting a meteor from hitting Earth. And guess what: they need an EM drive to accomplish that, and that drive uses the Casimir effect. Just what Buhler is promoting 😄

All I saw is that apparently every guy in that show sports a beard or mustache. Does that mean they're smart? 🤔

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5