Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

Is it possible to bind a key to the Developer Pause?

Hi friends,

As we all know the only "true" pause in MSFS is the one in the Developer Menu. Its the only one that freezes time.

Is there some kind of trickery one can do to bind a key to that Developer Pause?

Right now we have to enable the Dev Menu then use the mouse to get to the submenu to hit Pause. Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

I’ve experimented with this through FSUIPC but have been unsuccessful.  I’d be curious to know a means to do this as well.

• Like 2

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

I’ve experimented with this through FSUIPC but have been unsuccessful.  I’d be curious to know a means to do this as well.

I didn't think of that, its a good idea you had. Pity it didn't work.

I hope they've taken note of what people want and give us good ol' P button that activates a "real" pause in the upcoming FS24.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

I didn't think of that, its a good idea you had. Pity it didn't work.

I hope they've taken note of what people want and give us good ol' P button that activates a "real" pause in the upcoming FS24.

Has it been a Wishlist item?

13 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

Has it been a Wishlist item?

Thats a good question, will head on over to the official forums and poke around. Im sure it is as theres been a noise about it, lets see!

It's insane there is a shortcut for developer pause in the Keyboard shortcuts but it doesn't do anything.

I have found that hitting Esc to pause the game actually invokes the Developer Pause.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Have you tried setting a key or button in FSUIPC for "Pause Toggle"? That's what I did (after @Bob Scott's suggestion) for making Quantum Leap work with MSFS.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I reprogrammed the P key to instate the original type pause, ie pause everything including time.  Then programmed alt (right)P to unpause; the two finger actions are close to one another and easy to apply.

Nigel

Vancouver

11 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

I reprogrammed the P key to instate the original type pause, ie pause everything including time.  Then programmed alt (right)P to unpause; the two finger actions are close to one another and easy to apply.

Nigel

Vancouver

What did you bind that P key to though?

I thought Developer Pause was the only pause that actually stopped time?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, level7 said:

I have found that hitting Esc to pause the game actually invokes the Developer Pause.

Ah, who needs any sort of pause function that actually pauses fuel and time, and could also work with PMDG's pause at TOD, say on 777 longhauls anyway?

People wanted to simulate realistic cockpit doors. Barricade oneself in a closet with a porta potty and drinks and snacks and fly an entire 15 hour flight in real time, no pauses whatsoever. When one's terrorist mother in law comes pounding on the door demanding one go out and buy food for the pet fish or whatever, simply yell at her to sit down, buckle up, and shut up, and if the air marshals don't get to her first, the FBI will be waiting for her at the gate after we land.

Ok, simming can get a bit intense. Whether it's developer mode or not, some really simple pause function that's easy to use, that really pauses everything, that doesn't require a whole lot of vague suggestions about what might and might not work would be really cool.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, VHOJT said:

What did you bind that P key to though?

I thought Developer Pause was the only pause that actually stopped time?

Set Pause On - P

Set Pause Off - right alt+P

edit - I should add that I stick little cupboard door bumper buttons to these keys which allows me to feel these rather than take my eyes from the screem

Nigel

Edited by nigelgrant

On 4/29/2024 at 10:08 PM, nigelgrant said:

Nigel

Vancouver

I am going to try this. I saw a comment on Reddit that one way to test the Pause was to look at the clock on the airplane panel while the Pause was engaged. If this trick freezes the clock then thats what Im after. But if this works then does it mean its looking at the Dev Menu pause?

I am fairly sure only the dev pause pauses time...  Happy to be proved wrong though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

I am fairly sure only the dev pause pauses time...  Happy to be proved wrong though

For sure. It is the only one that freezes time. The others I feel should have been called "Motion Freeze" or "Aircraft Stop" as that is all they do - time keeps ticking in the background.

With the Dev Pause we can make a note of the airplane clock at the moment we paused. Come back to the sim hours later and it has not changed.

• Upvote 1