Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

WHAT ARE THE IDEAL SPECS TO RUN MS FSX??

Guest sebr

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to you!!I know this has been probably asked a million times before, but what are the ideal PC/Notebook specs to run MS FSX at it's optimum level?? ie. good frame rates, no stuttering,pausing etc. I ask as I am presently using MS FS2004 and whilst I am very happy with it, at some future stage I want to experience MS FSX.Also will MS FSX run well on a high end notebook??For those of you that have MS FSX running great on your PC'S or notebooks your advice would be most appreciated.Thanking you in advance.

Hi SebDepends on your budget. I'd say the best thing to do is get the fastest Core 2 Quad or Duo you can afford and overclock it. Get 2GB of DDR2 800 or faster, as you want to get your FSB up to at least 1600Mhz on a 1:1 ratio, and the best video card for the money is the 8800GT, which can easily do 1600x1200 with 8xS supersample AA. If you can get your CPU, dual or quad, up to 3.5GHZ or faster you can pretty much run everything on the scenery page full right. For example my scenery page has everything full right with the exception of water and autogen, which are one notch down to high 2.x and very dense. I'm able to stay pegged at 27fps pretty much all the time, and thats at 1600x1200 8xSAA 16xAF.This is about what you can expect with these settings:http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/xpackp51.jpg

Guest sebr

>Hi Seb>>Depends on your budget. I'd say the best thing to do is get>the fastest Core 2 Quad or Duo you can afford and overclock>it. Get 2GB of DDR2 800 or faster, as you want to get your>FSB up to at least 1600Mhz on a 1:1 ratio, and the best video>card for the money is the 8800GT, which can easily do>1600x1200 with 8xS supersample AA. >>If you can get your CPU, dual or quad, up to 3.5GHZ or faster>you can pretty much run everything on the scenery page full>right. For example my scenery page has everything full right>with the exception of water and autogen, which are one notch>down to high 2.x and very dense. I'm able to stay pegged at>27fps pretty much all the time, and thats at 1600x1200 8xSAA>16xAF.>>This is about what you can expect with these settings:>>http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/xpackp51.jpgThanks for that, what can I say??, that scenery looks sensational, and the resolution is sharp and crisp. 27FPS that's great.

Desktop:Intel 3Ghz Core Duo 8800GTS 512MB video card2Gb RamWith that setup you'll be able to lock at 30fps in most areas and really enjoy the sim.The problem with notebooks is usually the graphics processor is too weak to get decent frame rates.

Hey what location is that? Looks like a nice place to fly..... also try Longleat, UK I think somewhereand also, did you change the cfg for the autogen, that tree_per_cell or whatever it was?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Lone ranger

Try to get an Intel Q6600 Quad Core with the G0 stepping. They're 2.4Ghz stock but supposedly very overclockable to 3.0 Ghz and higher. A Quad @ 3.0Ghz should perform in FSX about same as a 2 core Duo @ 3.5Ghz since after SP1 FSX is supposed to be using all available cores for threading. As for notebook PC's, go to:http://www.ibuypower.comThere, you can custom configure a notebook with the processor and vid card you want.... notebook vid card choices are a little narrow but they do offer nVidia 8600GT's w/ 512mb, maybe 8800's too I can't remember. I spec'd a 15" widescreen notebook out on there for my son to take to college: Core 2 Duo @ 2.2Ghz, 2 gigs ram, 512mb 8600GT, DVDRW, etc for $1165 shipped. But it hasn't arrived yet. Warning about ibuypower: they take their sweet time getting it built and shipping it. BUT, ibuypower still lets you choose Windows XP for the OS, so that makes them fairly unique among notebook vendors.

Hey Sebr!What Microsoft never said to the public is that they wanted you to run FSX on this system spec:Processor: Up to eight UltraSPARC IV+ and/or UltraSPARC IVMemory: 128 GB Maximum when configured with eight processorsNetwork: One GB Ethernet and 10/100 Base-T Ethernet portUSB: Ten powered 2.0 USB portsExpansion bus: nine PCI slots (two @ 66 MHz, seven @ 33 MHz)Mass Storage: Up to twelve 150 GB WD Raptors in RAID config.4 Nvidia 8800 GTX's or Ultras on SLI config.Dimensions: 28.1 X 18.9 X 32.9Weight: 194 to 288 lbs.Cost: @$140,000You could also opt for the SUN 6900 series whipping at about half a million a piece!!!!!!!!OK OK! Seriously now! I just built my own system a week ago (actually, bought the parts and let Fry's build it for me). Here are my specs:1. Case: Thermaltake Armor Full tower (Black case), with the 25mm fan on the side. Case comes with 5 additional fans.2. CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 8MB Cache3. MoBo: Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38, DDR2 1066/800/6674. CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 Blue LED5. Hard Drive: WD Raptor 150GB 10K rpm 16MB Serial ATA6. PSU: PCP&P Silencer 750W7. RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC6400 Dual OCZ8. Wireless network adapter: D-Link DWA-5529. Video Card: EVGA 8800GTX PCIE 768mb10. OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit11. DVD/RW drives: 2 x LG 20X GSA-H55LIThis system put me down about 2,300; I added MSOffice Pro edition and between that and installation it really put me down about 2,800. Not bad since most websites wanted 5 - 6K to build a similar rig.Hope this helps!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

>Hey what location is that? Looks like a nice place to>fly..... also try Longleat, UK I think somewhere>>and also, did you change the cfg for the autogen, that>tree_per_cell or whatever it was?A lot of people ask about that location. I fly there quie a bit as its the most scenic land class I have found. I spend a lot of time in this area whizzing through the fields and between the trees. Basically you would want to take off from Dundee UK, and fly west or northwest. In the pic I'm just west of Dundee. I haven't done any of the autogen tweaks in the cfg though.

The entire fps comparison is flawed. I can run FSX with the default planes on 20+ fps without any problem with almost all sliders maxed, except for traffic. The problem is that add-ons, especially traffic and complex add-ons with glass cockpits currently bring almost every computer to its knees. In my case my fps drops to the lower teens with MyTraffic and the Wilco A320 PIC or with any plane of a similar complexity, which makes FSX totally unflyable for me with any complex heavies and realistic traffic.The following link (although pre-SP1) can help to squeeze out some more fps and for general FSX optimization, but nothing is really good enough for me to enjoy FSX with complex add-ons. Yes, a Quad-Core will definitely help, but after the DX10 disappointment, I refuse to spend another dime on hardware for FSX-only purposes.http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_FPS_GuideMy solution for now: Use FSX for GA/VFR and use FS9 for the heavies. FS9 still looks pretty darn awesome with Ground Environment, Flight Environment and Ultimate Terrain - and it gets me the fps that I just dreamed of a year ago.Pat

Would This Sytem Run Fsx Maxed Out With All Traffic Slider On 40%.AMD Phenom II X4 At 3.5Ghz,ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 Gigabyte In Crossfire,4 GigaByte Ram At 1333Mhz AndOne 19 Inch Monitor AndWindows 7 Home Premium And 320 GigaByte Hard DriveWould That Run Fsx Maxed Out Except All The Traffic Sliders Set To 40-50%With Some Add-On Aircraft.Would The Crossfire Reduce Blurries,Make The Fps Rise Or Make The Fsx Performance Worse?How Much Fps On Average Would I Get With These FSX Settings?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How Many Fps Would I Get On Fs2004/Fs9 With All Sliders Maxed Out,All Traffic On 100% Every Slider On 100%.Would It Run Perfect And How Many Fps On Average Would I Get?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------And Would The Quad Core Make Any Difference To Fsx/Fs9 Performance?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've Spent £720 On A New Gaming Rig And I Am Wondering How It Run Fsx/Fs9,That Is All I've Ever Dreamed Of To Run Fsx/Fs9 Maxed Out Since I Was Around 9 And Now's My Chance.

Here's a picture of my FSX rig...and I still can't get rid of the blurries! :(

Here's a picture of my FSX rig...and I still can't get rid of the blurries! :(
Have you tried enabling hyperthreading?180 cores should not be enough, even with ******* tweaks.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Would This Sytem Run Fsx Maxed Out With All Traffic Slider On 40%.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How Many Fps Would I Get On Fs2004/Fs9 With All Sliders Maxed Out,All Traffic On 100% Every Slider On 100%.Would It Run Perfect And How Many Fps On Average Would I Get?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------And Would The Quad Core Make Any Difference To Fsx/Fs9 Performance?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've Spent £720 On A New Gaming Rig And I Am Wondering How It Run Fsx/Fs9,That Is All I've Ever Dreamed Of To Run Fsx/Fs9 Maxed Out Since I Was Around 9 And Now's My Chance.
Suggest you go to the hardware forum and read the posts there:Summary: Intel 4 GHz+, quad core, fast single GPU video card on a modern mother board with Windows 7 64 will run FSX nicely :(

Bert

Suggest you go to the hardware forum and read the posts there:Summary: Intel 4 GHz+, quad core, fast single GPU video card on a modern mother board with Windows 7 64 will run FSX nicely :(
Don't forget the SSD or Vrap drives.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.