Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Need Help Starting Piper Cheyenne

Guest machammer

I have read the startup procedure and looked in the other manuals and still can't get the engines to start.Chocks, Parking Break, Tow Bar, External Power Unit.When entering the cold & dark aircraft, first turn ON the battery. Next, activatethe anti-collision light to signal other traffic on the airport that you will soonstart your engines. Check that the prop levers are in FULL FORWARD position(IIXL only: FEATHERED position), and that your parking brake is SET. Next, switchON fuel pump number 1 or 2 on the engine to be started, set the ignition switchto MANUAL, and set the yellow starter switch to the START positionAll the above done as described. The engine never spools up.Also, making changes to the Config Manager and saving. The next time I reload everything is set to default.I had to manually turn off the right engine to get to a Cold and Dark Start position. Anytime I load the Aircraft the Right engine is running but the left is not.We strongly suggest loading the Cheyenne from the default

Hi Bill,Did you move the mixture levers to high idle before starting ?Jean-PaulAre your mixture levers set to high idleAsus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3.2Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

I had a lot of trouble getting this to work as well.One thing to check is that the fuel switches are both on.The best way to get it to work (for me), is to start with the Cessna,turn off the mixture, battery, alternator.Switch to the Cheyenne, turn off the fuel pumps, and then follow the sequence per your checklist.Re getting the configs to save, this is a bug, and can be fixed by manually adding a file.. check the DA support forum for details.

Bert

Guest machammer

Jean-Paul,Thanks for your reply.My mixture levers keep bouncing forward and backward if I try and move them back. So I have left them in the forward position. Is that position high idle. I've seen on the Aerosoft forium that they don't function like other mixture levers. But I can move them without them bouncing.Any ideas on how to stop the bouncing?Also, when I manually turned off the right engine I was able to restart it using the same steps as I had tried on the left with no luck.If you load any of the Cheyennes do the start with both engines running? Or are they both off.Thanks Jean-Paul for your help.Bill

If You are running win XP, look at Digital Aviations support forum for the Cheyenne regarding the Configuration manager not saving Your settings.This will also make it possible to setup a clod and dark cockpit.Hers my startup sequence:Battery On.Fuel Pump 1 or 2 On.Propeller fully forward.Engage starter (look for Ng rising to appr. 10%, spoolup sound is hard to hear).Condition Lever On ("Mixture")After a few seconds Your engine should startup and go to idle.Generator On.Repeat for next engine.Also ensure that Your firwall shut off valves are open (placed together with the Crossfeed valve between the seats).Wothan

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

The bouncing mixture levers have been an issue for some with the FS9 version as well. Usually, reloading the plane or restarting the sim solves the issue but you might want to check some of the older threads in the DA PA31 forum.I have set the Cheyennes to load cold and dark with the setup menu (Shift-7) so the engines are both off.Jean-Paul Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3.2Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Guest machammer

Wothan,Following your startup sequence has allowed me to start both engines. One obvious mistake was that the instructions say to put ignition in manual. I left it in auto as you didn't say to do anything with it. Also, another possible mistake was in the area of the shut off valves. I may of had them set wrong. I'll have to go back and try some things and nail down what I did wrong.My mixture controls still bounce back and forth if I move them down to the stop position. Any ideas what is causing that? Auto mixture is enabled under aircraft realism.Anyway I will continue on from here to learn the rest of how to fly this bird. Need to investigate the Digital Aviations support forum regarding the Config Manager saving issue.Thanks for your help. Probably saved me from pulling my hair out. :)Regards.Bill

Hi BillYou should untick auto mixture within flight Simulator. I

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

Bill,I am using the SP2/Vista/DX10 version... I first check the fuel cocks are open.I have a CH Throttle Quadrant, but to operate the Condition Levers, I first have them off on the Quadrant as well as the sim, when they spool up to 10%, I move the levers in the sim to high idle, then I move the appropriate lever on the quadrant up immediately after.Auto mixture in the realism setting plays no part whatsoever with the Condition Lever setting on a TP engine, it's for setting the fuel air ratio on a reciprocating engine, which needs to be varied with altitude.Also I definately always start in Manual mode, and move the rocker switch into the Autostart position once I have the generators online. One trick is to check the annunciators for what may be left undone or what is wrong startup config wise.Cheers and have fun. It took me a couple of hours to sort out the idiocyncracies with this bird, but it was well worth it.Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBCH Throttle Quadrant USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32

Chris, where do you find the Condition levers (to assign to the yoke)?The mixture levers do not work..

Bert

Guest machammer

First I'd like to thank all who have participated in this post.It seems what was causing my whole problem was that I didn't have the left fuel switch in the center console set to on. That was why I could get the right engine started and not the left. I never looked at them because there is no mention in the tutorial for engine start. And I guess the right switch was set when I started the sim. Yes you can start the engines in manual as described.I still can't get the conditioners/mixture to move without jumping when I move them using either the mouse or Saitek throttle. The auto mixture in aircraft realisum is not checked.Hopefilly I'll take my first flight this afternoon.Regards.Bill

BTW, if you just want to go for a flight, start up the C172 and switch to the Cheyenne.. it should come up with both engines running.

Bert

The mixture levers are more like a button on a stick. There are or 3 positions (at least for the IIXL): off, low and high although the VC reflects only off and on. I use shift-3 to bring up the throttle pop up and adjust the conditioning levers there if I need low.