Sign in to follow this  
Paul Golding

Developer competition and too many choices?

It seems that recently the rules have changed within in the addon development community. In the past, certain developers would create comprehensive sims like the PMDG 737 and 747, LDS 767 etc... It would seem a waste of time and money for someone to develop a competing airliner against these already established and well accepted programs.To my knowledge, there are now four new Airbus projects in the works that are all expected to be very thorough and complete. There are also numerous developers working on ground scenery textures, sky textures, weather environments and so forth. Maybe the flight sim community is growing much faster than before and there's enough of a market where more developers can succeed. I think competition is good overall, however I can see where folks may purchase a couple Airbus sims, only to find out later the fourth one is the best. Same thing for the weather engines and ground textures. While choice is good for the consumer, it can also make you very indecisive about what and when to buy. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.Curt

Seems you've not been around for very long.Wasn't it last week that people complained that there were no addons available for FSX?The situation you describe has always been around. It's just supply and demand, if a lot of people ask for an Airbus a lot of groups will start making one.

I>can see where folks may purchase a couple Airbus sims, only to>find out later the fourth one is the best. Same thing for the>weather engines and ground textures. While choice is>good for the consumer, it can also make you very indecisive>about what and when to buy. It will be interesting to see how>this all plays out.>>Curt Some like Coke some like Pepsi some like Sprite, just pick a drink! What you are complaining about is a GOOD thing. If we didnt have a choice in what we buy it would make things very boring and make the product very expensive because where else are you going to get it. I dont ever want to limit choice in the market place. I'll stop there so I dont get political.

Jim Wenham

.. and there's me waiting for a 727....;(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>.. and there's me waiting for a 727....>>;( Have you looked at the Super80 by Coolsky. I think its the next best thing to the 727. FPS friendly as well and very detailed.

Jim Wenham

>Seems you've not been around for very long.>Wasn't it last week that people complained that there were no>addons available for FSX?>>The situation you describe has always been around. It's just>supply and demand, if a lot of people ask for an Airbus a lot>of groups will start making one.LOL! I had the exact same thought. You just can't win.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx 174.16 XG o/.c 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yup! Have it for six months and love it. Once you can get past the OOM issue - and I think I have after the latest rebuild - it has a superb VC, the best 2D I've seen, with very well thought-out interfaces. The main configuring menu sets up the aircraft in any stage you would like, and the manuals are excellent. It is also a challenge to your flying abilities, too, as the technology of the 70/80's keeps you working at good and interesting facets of flying, and not doing everything for you. The Eaglesoft Citation II is very similar, and makes for ideal "chartered" flights - like the exciting Denver to Aspen/Pitkin in winter... .. but I would still like the DreamFleet 727 for FSX..:-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

"While choice is good for the consumer, it can also make you very indecisive about what and when to buy"... so you're saying we shouldn't have more than three or four auto manufacturers? ;-) (just tongue in cheek, Curt, no offense meant)

The USSR didn't need more than that...And I think North Korea has none at all :)

.... like I said, I wont go political. Cough Cough dont forget Cuba.

Jim Wenham

>To my knowledge, there are now four new Airbus projects in the>works that are all expected to be very thorough and complete. >There are also numerous developers working on ground scenery>textures, sky textures, weather environments and so forth. What four Airbus developers are you referring to?

The four Airbus projects I'm referring to are 1) Airsimmer, 2) AirlinerXP, 3)PMDG, 4)Peter Wilding.Curt

No offense taken. With auto manufacturers you can test drive numerous makes of the same class on the same day and make an informed buying decision. In the flight sim world the addons are released months apart. So you either buy what's available or wait for the next one. If someone can afford to purchase them all that's fine, but for the budget minded we need to shop wisely.Here's what I see coming:Airsimmer, great Airbus. Then maybe AirlinerXP, yes that one is really sharp. Then PMDG, holy cow we have a winner! If someone buys them all, they have $200 plus invested in Airbus sims, but will likely only fly one. This is where competition is good, but bad for the cash challenged folks like myself.Curt

".. but I would still like the DreamFleet 727 for FSX.."HERE! HERE! And How!RTH

>The four Airbus projects I'm referring to are 1) Airsimmer,>2) AirlinerXP, 3)PMDG, 4)Peter Wilding.>>Curt>>1. AirSimmer - blurry text2. AirlinerXP - looks great3. PMDG - I don't think their doing an Airbus4. Just Flight? - nope