Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy

why the fps differences?

WIN XP SP2AMD FX-552G RAM8800GTS 640MBI'm having a hard time figuring out why I take such a fps hit at major airports - I don't know exactly what is causing itfor example:I can have things cranked to the right with the following exceptionswater is one notch to the right from full leftfsx.cfg is modified for autogen to be 1200 and 600 trees and buildingsai traffic middle, etci can go to some small field and get steady 18-25 fps with the above settings, now I can sit at yssy and get 6fps now i turn all things to the left except leave my traffic as is and top out at 12fpsis it the concrete texture that is killing it? its just odd to see such a big difference.anyone?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

How many buildings are in view?Do you have AI aircraft in view?Normally it's simply a matter of more polygons being displayed.At small airports with a half dozen AI aircraft will be only 20-30,000 polygons extra.At a large airport with 30 AI aircraft will be 180,000 to 300,000 polygons - that's like adding 75,000 trees to your view.The airport vehicle traffic going from an airport with parking for 6 passenger aircraft to one with parking for 30 passenger aircraft is a 500% increase in polygons, and if they are animated, a 500% increase in the amount of CPU power necessary to move them.At small airports the airport buildings and structures can be only a couple thousand polygons. At large airports with complex terminals and several hangers can easily hit 100,000 polygons to display.FSX is a much more intense / active environment than FS2004.A change in airports in FS2004 could be a 500% increase in the total demands on your system.Changing the same two airports in FSX could be a 2,500% increase in the total demands on your system with all the features available in FSX not available in FS2004.Edit - Oops - don't know my right from my left

He has is water set low. 1 notch to the right from full left is low 1x

Jim Wenham

BrianIf you follow NICK N's tune up advice, you should be able to get a few more fps out of your system. Other than that FSX really needs a multi core CPU. Few of us get great frame rates around big airports. I only get high teens to low 20's with my rig.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

ok, will look into Nix tweeks, but may just hang off until I upgrade to an E8500 system soon within the next 3 months or so..i forgot to shut off ai traffic, I will try that and see what happensthanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

>WIN XP SP2>AMD FX-55>2G RAM>8800GTS 640MB>>>I'm having a hard time figuring out why I take such a fps hit>at major airports - I don't know exactly what is causing it>>for example:>>I can have things cranked to the right with the following>exceptions>water is one notch to the right from full left>fsx.cfg is modified for autogen to be 1200 and 600 trees and>buildings>ai traffic middle, etc>>i can go to some small field and get steady 18-25 fps with the>above settings, now I can sit at yssy and get 6fps now i turn>all things to the left except leave my traffic as is and top>out at 12fps>>is it the concrete texture that is killing it? its just odd to>see such a big difference.>>anyone?>ciao!>Brian STurn the water setting back one notch at a time as see how the sim runs.When you are flying GA set the AI traffic for GA up and the AI traffic for Heavies off. Vise-versa for Heavies.

I spend a bit of time flying around YSSY. I've found the three biggest FPS killers there (or any large airport)are: Freeway traffic, water and airport vehicles. Just try setting airport vehicles to 0 and see what a difference it makes. Although things look a little emptier you can still have a bit of AI (around 20% is good at Sydney using MTX) and set scenery density to "dense" - still gives you a few jetways.