Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Phil Taylor has had enough! No Blogging or Posting

Ok, well how about some outside data.Currently FSX standard edition is second on Amazon's bestseller's list in the Video Games > PC Games > Simulation > Flight category, only behind the Deluxe version.The better selling Deluxe version is #178 out of all Video Games, not just PC, but including console games AND hardware accessories, which make up most of the top of the list. Tuning that down to just PC Games, it places #16, ahead of the World of Warcraft expansion, the oft-mentioned Crysis, and the latest Sims 2 iteration.And this is all quite a bit after it's been released.How that compares to 2004 numbers, who knows, but just based on the rest of the market, it certainly doesn't seem like a bust for sales.But that's just Amazon, and it's not inclusive of all versions, that #16 is just the Deluxe version, doesn't include the Standard version numbers.So I dig deeper and find that massive online marketing firm NPD put together numbers for the top retail PC sales of 2007. Here's what they look like:World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

I watched Gladiator (for the 100th time) and a lightbulb went off. Follow me on this one.Have you ever heard the saying: "Rome is the mob"? It has held true for eons and is the bane of the existance for every emperor, king, president...and developer.All of the above want order from the mobs for whom they are charged. Surely, it is ideal for the mob to go about their daily tasks in an orderly fashion and react to the decisions made that are out of their control with tact, civility and poise. It is optimal for the mob to understand that decisions made by kings, and developers, are out of their control, accept the facts methodically and move on to the next issue. It is also foolishly naive.The mob, much to the shegrin of those who must deal with them, is fickle. You are only as good as your last achievement. The mob is generally mute on accomplishments but horribly vocal on failure. The reality is that if you build a gleaming and perfect statue of which the mob approves, it may make the newspaper on page 15. If that same gleaming statue offends the mob, it will make the front page while the mob sends death threats to the sculptor. Brian, in a post above, estimates that ~280,000 copies of FSX have been sold. That means 280,000 INDIVIDUALS, every one of which is at least of average intelligence (and polls show that the average user of MSFS are probably of ABOVE average intelligence). What an ideal demographic for whom to develop. Wrong!The expectation is that issues with the development decisions of FSX will then be aired in a civil and polite manner and then will be put to rest. I wonder if anyone who actually believes that has been out of the house? That will never happen as long as humans are humans. Such expecatations cannot be applied to politics, sports, products or anything else that affects consumers or constituants. Ain't gonna happen, sorry.The reason that the stream of detractors seem never-ending is because they don't show up all at once. 280,000 people don't purchase a product on day one, show up on the forums two hours later, make their opinion known and then sit quietly until next time. The mob dribbles in, making comments along the way. And as new members of the mob join, the existing members of the mob bring them up to speed and reinforce the chorus of complaints. This process continues for YEARS. Why do you think you have the same things being repeated over and over again? It only takes one person to boo and I can guarantee you that there are those who have boo'd already that will join in as the vocal crescendo of discontent rises and falls in a cyclical manner. This is the way of the world.Much to the shegrin of many, anger is still a human emotion in the 21st century. Yes, humans get angry. Unfortunately, anger in a mob of patrons tends to be much more severe than a single angry patron.Oh, but then the outcry of: "OH! It's just a GAME, get over it!" Yep, tell that to the goalie beaten to death in Brasil for accidently heading the ball into his own goal. Tell that to the man in Boston run over by an NY Yankee fan because he was a vocal Boston Redsox fan. Tell that to the soccer hooligans present at every match. Tell that to every dedicated basketball, baseball and football fan. I would believe that they would tend to differ. Just like here at Avsim, there is the extreme right, the moderate center, and the extreme left.When one adopts a "game" as their very own, it ceases to become a mere curiousity or distraction and takes on an integral part of one's life. It is something that is integrated into one's very fibre just like one makes time to study, work, play and love. When anyone of those fail, there will be a passionate backlash. Expecting one to sit quietly and politely as one would when disagreeing with the Queen over high tea? Sure, as long as you are having that tea in a world where pink elves make cookies in hollow logs.When one decides to make one's services public, one must prepare for the mob. One must understand the mob, put on one's suit of armor and realize that one's best will never be good enough. If one is sincerely doing the best one can then that MUST be good enough for oneself irrespective of the feelings of the mob. If one cannot accept the emotions of the average mob, then one is probably better off withdrawing and hiding (I direct that at no one in particular).It is ideal to put on the rose colored glasses and pretend that praises will come in bunches while discourse should, and will, be conveyed in a universally acceptable format. It is also ideal to believe that the Flight Simulator hobbyist is homehow a different breed of human, that will conform to the chastisement of those who wish to mold them into a compliant resemblence of George Orwell's 1984. Unfortnately, neither the ancient Egyptians nor Aces seems have been successful in that endeavor.In a business, one wants all commers to purchase the product as that translates into profits. Those that will put a laurel upon your head as well as those who would rip it off must be equally courted. Would one be more satisfied if 100,000 of the 280,000 purchasers never returned as customers? Where would be the victory then if one can please those who were already pleased, but cannot convert those who were not. That victory would be hollow at best. "Eternal Wingeing" has existed since humanity has been able to effectively communicate. It is not ideal, it is not optimal, it is not even desired, but it is reality. If one acknowledges that FACT, then one is left with only three options. 1. Run and hide. 2. Stay and fight. 3. Dismiss and hope it goes away.There are obvious justifications for ALL options and the decision to choose is purely personal. However, if the rose colored glasses are removed and the stark reality of the way the world works sets in, one can then ask oneself which ONE of the three choices does history reward?Wars, verbal or otherwise, are seldom decided in a single battle. Most times, battles must be fought over the same ground before a victory is realized. Sometimes a stalemate is all that can be achieved and sometimes the battle is indeed won, and yes, defeat is also an option, but then there are usually other battles to fight.Read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War", a book written for war, but read and internalized by millions who will never experience violence. Why? It is desirable to CHOOSE one's battles because attempting to fight every battle that presents itself is not only foolhardy, but is, in most cases, impossible. Sometimes the enemy will stand on the hilltop and beckon to you, and sometimes you just have to smile and continue eating your dinner and let him pound his chest and bang his shields. There is honor and intelligence in that course of action. Oftentimes, when your enemy cannot get you to fight on his ground, he will simply go home when he knows that he cannot win on yours!Yes, Rome is the mob. The mob consists of those who think you are doing a specatacular job as well as those who beg to differ. To rule Rome you must rule your proponents as well as your opponents. As US Senator Obama (the presumptive Democratic Presidental Nominee) has mused: "We have not been speaking to our enemies, just our friends. Unfortunately, that has failed to persuade our enemies to see our point of view. Successful diplomacy requires vigourous dialog with not only our fiends, but also with our enemys."Just the thoughts of one, I don't pretend to know what the heck I'm talking about.Mike T.EDIT: A few more thoughts.

How do sales numbers help me know who is happy with their purchase vs who is unhappy?All the bashers theoretically are contained in those sales numbers.Bob

Ha ha, Mike, you've made a few excellent points especially when it comes to three choices offered to content providers:-)It would appear that providers of content have indulged in all three choices depending upon the situation at hand:-)It seems reasonable that there is another choice which may be overlooked and that is to attempt to convey a hopeful view while fending off the detractors. This approach usually ends in stalemate when the number of the mobs detractors equal or outweigh the numbers of those who publish a positive view.When stalemate happens, content providers fall back on their choice of the three options you've mentioned and the detractors give each other a pat on the back for defeating those pesky positive view guys:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I notice the bulk of Vista Bashers dont even run Vista, looking at users on the WCATC servers the bulk of users are running FS9,In the case of FS9 users i listen to, they without reservation bash away at FSX for being too resource heavy ... not often do i hear it phrased that their machines are resource light.Another figure to add to your statistics, the purported one percent ratio of overall purchasers who also buy addons,a recent release payware aircraft can expect sales of about 280 these days , some less , some more, but few seem willing to upgrade quality levels. The link between these two paragraphs ? .. is that i dont believe the bulk of complaints voiced to date are from users of FSX , but from the embittered who's machines cant run it .

Exactly! You're no rookie to the mob and over the years, you can best believe that many of your "detractors", for whatever reason, will be first in line at your next product release. Oh, yes, they'll find something to complain about, it's the nature of the beast.The fact is that many are at a loss as to the need to "beat a dead horse", as it were. What those people don't realize is that while their horse may have long been beaten to death, someone else will show up with his/her OWN horse that they wish to beat do death (and subsequently continue beating). While YOUR horse may resemble THEIR horse, they are not at all interested in your horse! And thus, the cycle continues and the pile of dead, beaten horses grows. (Apologies to those who have recently lost a horse due to a beating - I'm not trying to be insensitive to your loss)I personally think that we should all go to Redmond, drag Phil Taylor kicking and screaming into the woods, strip him to his underwear and force him to sing Kum-Bye-Yah with all forum posters until all ill feelings are gone! :-lol (hint for activity at next Avsim Convention? - Although, the thought of Tom A. singing in his underpants??) :-outtaRegards,Mike T.

Mike, the word picture of Phil and/or Tom being unclothed is too much for even the hardened simmers sensibilities:-) :-)Please refrain from such descriptive terms in the future lest folks begin to vomit at the thought:-) :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>How do sales numbers help me know who is happy with their>purchase vs who is unhappy?>>All the bashers theoretically are contained in those sales>numbers.>>BobMy point was more that it wasn't a failure from Microsoft's perspective. Or at least I don't think it should be considered one by them. They advanced the platform, used the experience to better construct their organization, and sold a ton of copies.If it were me, I'd consider it a success.

>> hint for activity at next Avsim Convention? - Although, the thought of Tom A. singing in his underpants??Gee Mike,I think you just provided one of the best reasons not to be around for last call at the next Avsim conference. :-lol Bruce

Mike,That was a very well written and cogent post, your thoughts were well organized and very coherent.Aside from "chagrin" being mispelled a few times, the essay receives a well deserved 4.0... ;)Thanks for a great read!My favorite two sentences:"Expecting one to sit quietly and politely as one would when disagreeing with the Queen over high tea? Sure, as long as you are having that tea in a world where pink elves make cookies in hollow logs." :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Mike,>>That was a very well written and cogent post, your thoughts>were well organized and very coherent.>>Aside from "chagrin" being mispelled a few times, the essay>receives a well deserved 4.0... ;)>>Thanks for a great read!>>My favorite two sentences:>>"Expecting one to sit quietly and politely as one would when>disagreeing with the Queen over high tea? Sure, as long as you>are having that tea in a world where pink elves make cookies>in hollow logs." :-beerchug Seriously?He compared being vocal about product complaints to beating people to death.He said our community is an unruly mob completely incapable of managing itself or being civil.I guess I had different expectations of the standards of people I was dealing with when I signed up.

It's just an analogy. Replace physical with verbal and it does fit what has been read on these forums. They get everything from polite critcism to poorly written, uninteligible cursing and flaming. And the opposite is also true. Everything from kind enthusiasm to outright a really excited user worship (couldn't come up with less contentious analogy in short time, lol) has also been written on these forums. The point of the mob is that it contains all of these kinds of personalities as does the FS community. But the ones the scream, "foul" will always appear to be louder than the cheerleaders as that is the nature of things. Just consult your local newspaper for affirmation. Hopefully the lesson taken from FSX and its predecessors is that Vnext will be optimized for middle of the road PC's in the near future, not two years plus, down the road, on release day. Of course it will not stop the sixty-something retiree or the kid with the hand-me down computer from complaining that it doesnt run with all the bells and whistles on their five year old computers. But it will result in fewer complainers and more enthusiasts joining the FS ranks. Will

I want a Phil Taylor forum. Then, if I'm interested, I can follow the threads on human relations, Phil Taylor's blog, Phil Taylor quips, and what he had for lunch. How about Phil Taylor sitings? When is his birthday?Honestly, isn't this forum loosing its way? We are the gathering place for the FS flight simulator series. People are acting ..... well.... human. Let's get back to talking about flying. Now, where's that 8 x 10 glossy of Allensworth in the woods? LOLAnd dammit Eaglesoft, how about less talking and finish my Citation X version II for FSX? With the greatest respect,Bob..

>And dammit Eaglesoft, how about less talking and finish my>Citation X version II for FSX? Bob, I agree with that wholeheartedly!Everyone "talk less" and "fly more..."...or at least "talk about flying!" :-outta

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good points Bob."And dammit Eaglesoft, how about less talking and finish my Citation X version II for FSX?" CX2.0 is progressing well even as we speak. We think you'll be pleased when she's ready:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png