Sign in to follow this  
Guest CRJ700FO

This is not a joke!

That HAS to be a joke...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest 737typerated

No joke, captains make 65K and copilots 30K, they get to fly shiny new jets though http://www.skybus.com/I'm not putting my life in the hands of a captain that will take 65K to fly a plane that most airlines pay their captains twice that, what do they say, you get what you pay for.Southwest airlines start there copilots at more pay than skybus captains make.

Guest PARADISE

>No joke, captains make 65K and copilots 30K, they get to fly>shiny new jets though http://www.skybus.com/>I'm not putting my life in the hands of a captain that will>take 65K to fly a plane that most airlines pay their captains>twice that, what do they say, you get what you pay for.>>Southwest airlines start there copilots at more pay than>skybus captains make.It all depends on what you (the passengers) are willing to pay for in fares. You want cheap fares, you'll get cheap service. You want better service, you'll have to pay more. However, it's not fair to make a correlation between an air crew's pay and safety. Most pilots do not become suicidal just because they aren't making the " big bucks ". I know of many pilots, ATPs, that would do what they do for free if they could afford to do so. A good number of airline flight crews do what they do because they love doing it, not because they're looking for financial riches.John M

Guest bjjones

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybus_Airlines. Incredible. I>bet seat reclining is $.50 per 10 minutes of recline. Can you>believe 156 seats on an A319.People must have to have their>knees resting on someone's seatback too!On the positive side, none of the aircraft they currently have will carry 156 seats, since they are leased from Virgin America and only have a single pair of overwing exits, the maximum allowed onboard is 150, any more and the aircraft would fail to meet evacuation standards.When they're own aircraft begin delivery (whenever that maybe), like easyJet they will need 2 pairs of Type III overwings.Certainly a 'cosy' configuration.

Guest 737typerated

Not suicidle dude, has to do with the quality of pilots they're getting to work for nothing, hel you can't support a family on 65KLike I said you get what you pay for, an accident waiting to happen with an Airbus 319 captain that is willing to work for 65K, basically what that means is he couldn't find anyone else that would hire him (low flite time, low captain experience, not qualified for a captain position but the airline hires him because he meets the FAA 1500 hour ATP minimums and will accept the LOW fare I mean salary.If he was qualified for the position he would be working for SWA, Continental, AirTran or any of the other airlines that pay DOUBLE that 65K as a copilot.

There are long lists of fully qualified AAL, Continental, Delta, United and US Airways pilots who would jump at the chance to make 65K per year - at any job.Because they were flying for those airlines and no longer have jobs because of cutbacks.

Guest 737typerated

I would agree with you reg, if you could show me the proof.

Guest PARADISE

>Not suicidle dude, has to do with the quality of pilots>they're getting to work for nothing, hel you can't support a>family on 65K>>Like I said you get what you pay for, an accident waiting to>happen with an Airbus 319 captain that is willing to work for>65K, basically what that means is he couldn't find anyone else>that would hire him (low flite time, low captain experience,>not qualified for a captain position but the airline hires him>because he meets the FAA 1500 hour ATP minimums and will>accept the LOW fare I mean salary.>>If he was qualified for the position he would be working for>SWA, Continental, AirTran or any of the other airlines that>pay DOUBLE that 65K as a copilot.>>We all have our different comfort levels. I'm very comfortable flying (whether as crewmember or passenger) with anyone that's proven to be qualified as a first officer or captain irregardless of what their income is. If they have 'earned' their ratings by meeting FAA standards then that's good enough for me. Other then the uncomfortable passenger seating arrangements on this new airline I would have no problems flying with them.John MJohn M

>I would agree with you reg, if you could show me the proof.Maybe you should show us some proof (statistical data?) that the safety of an airline is proportional to the wage of their captains?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>Not suicidle dude, has to do with the quality of pilots>they're getting to work for nothing, hel you can't support a>family on 65K>heh, yes you can, unless you live in California or something.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest airbus2

The pilots would have to pass the same tests etc, i dont see what their wages has to do with their compitence, they wanna get home alive just the same as you or i do!If the situation is the same in the US as it is in the UK, there are loads of people waiting for posistions as FOs etc, they jump at any job to get a foothold in the profession, beggers cant be choosers!Dave

Let's look at some starting pay rates for First Officers:ExpressJet (Continental Connection) - ERJ - $19,800Horizon - CRJ/Dh8 - $27,800Mesa - Turboprop - $17,328Mesa - Jet - $19,152Air Wisconsin - BAe-146/CRJ - $21,600Skywest - CRJ/EMB-120 - $17,100TransStates - ERJ/ATR/Js-41 - $19,536Pinnacle - CRJ - $18,900Great Lakes - EMB-120/B1900 - $13,500Republic/ Chautauqua/ Shuttle America - ERJ-190-135 - $20,700Now 10 year CaptainsExpressJet (Continental Connection) - ERJ-145 - $68,400Horizon - CRJ-700 - $91,200Horizon - Dash-8-200 - $63,360Mesa - B1900 - $35,568Mesa - ERJ-145 - $62,106Air Wisconsin - BAe-146 - $78,300Skywest - CRJ - $66,600TransStates - ERJ-145 - $63,936Pinnacle - CRJ - $64,800Great Lakes - EMB-120 - $39,600Republic/ Chautauqua/ Shuttle Amercia - ERJ-190 - $79,200Republic/ Chautauqua/ Shuttle Amercia - ERJ-145 - $69,300A320 Captains for US Airways max out at $125 per flight hour (America West $138) which is $108,00 per year.Northwest is a little higher - Jet Blue is $123 at 6 years - max $139 - $116,760.Southwest is good - which is why they get to pick the cream of the crop10 year Captain - $194 - $181,584Starting FO - $52 the first year - $48,6725 year FO - $119 - $111,384By comparison AAL B73810 yr Captain - $158 - $121,344Starting FO - $35 the first year - $26,8805 year FO - $94 - $72,192By comparison COA B737-50010 yr Captain - $142 - $122,688 (more guaranteed hours)Starting FO - $30 the first year - $25,9205 year FO - $80 - $69,120