Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Network Problem - VISTA help please

Hello,I have a new sim computer (Dell XPS 760) I am TRYING to run VISTA Ultimate 32 bit. I have a network of 3 computers that are running XP.My problem is getting the computers to access the VISTA computer folders and seeing the files so that I can network access the FSX info(WIDEFS).I have "told" the VISTA computer to share the folder(s). I have set the priviledges to "EVERYONE". I "see" the folders on the VISTA computer from the network computer(s). But when I click on the folder I get the "you can't access this" error. The only user on the VISTA computer is RON and that is the ADMIN.What am I missing here?Thanks in advance,Ron Sagel

RonYou are not alone. I have the same set up and problem. Plus there's a Mac one my network. I haven't worried about it much, but I think I will look deeper into it, now.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Hi, I had to use the same user name and passwords on all my computers as well as enable other users to read write and modify folders and files in order to network between both of my vista machines and my xp machine as well. I did only do this to one directory on each computer though and that is where I transfer all the files through.TonyIntel E6600 Core2Duo, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 4GB OCZ Platinum PC6400, NVIDIA 8800GT, 2 Seagate 320GB SATAII, Creative Audigy2 Value, Dell 22 WFP, Saitek X45

Ron, now you know one of the chief reasons why I suggest folks NOT use the default installation path for any FS version, or for that matter any program they wish to share across a network.Vista's excessive and draconion 'protection scam' (er, scheme!) pretty much exclude sharing anything in the ..Program Files structure across a LAN.However, it may be that shutting down UAC globally on your Vista machine will allow some limited access.I currently have three WinXP and two Vista32 systems on my LAN. All shared access programs on the Vista32 machines were installed to their own folders off the C:root, e.g., C:FS9, C:FSX, C:FS Panel Studio, etc.By doing it this way, I need only shut off UAC for those specific folders (and all subfolders/files), as well as giving "Everyone" full and unrestricted read/write access to their contents.If you are comfortable editing your Registry, you can simply Move your FSX install to a new folder path (such as C:FSX) and updating both the Registry and the Desktop Shortcut to use the new path.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hello and thanks,Can I just create the new folder (Say C:FSX) and then:1. Copy the current folder for fsx to that folder2. Edit the registry path for the new location3. Updater the shortcutThanks,Ron Sagel

>Hello,>>I did what you suggested and it works fine!>>>Thanks a lot!!!!You're most welcome, Ron. I had to grok all this out myself when I got my first Vista32 machine for FSX. It was a bit of a nightmare initially, since "everyone knows" that you cannot LAN WinXP Home Edition and Vista32 Basic Edition......Yeah, right! So much for what "everyone knows!" :)My development machine is still running WinXP because several of the programs I use most simply won't run reliably (if at all) under Vista, but all output from them (Max, GMax, MSVC++ .NET 2003, etc.) is piped directly to the FSX Vista machine(s). ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator