Friday at 11:54 PM4 days Long story - purchased this model from ASSP some time ago. Roundabout route because it is Linux compatible and learnt the hard way that the other A300 by INI Builds was not and only a MS WiN model.Why the A300 - the first Airbus - and it was a success due to the capacity it had for loading standard containers below deck and later as a freighter conversion. Fedex operate some 65 of them. Australian Airline TAA bought 6 moved them eventually to Qantas when that was all put together. So the A300 was a goer just the predecessor of the A330 really.Back on topic had the ASSP languishing in the hangar until I started to redo liveries using Linux (That is a whole topic on its own). Loading and reloading the model in XP12 I began to tinker with systems but suffered badly from lack of online help or feedback. A mere terse reference to read the manual from ASSP and a link to get the A300 manuals (originals). In this process I have come to the preliminary view that this is indeed a study level simulation. I have had to work through the Airbus manuals and operational notes to see what does what and how to make it all work/ The systems are faithfully and accurately reproduced including all the early Airbus quirks of blue, yellow and green systems and the need to drive the AP using speed as there is no altitude control provided other than alt hold in cruise. Have I flown the beasty yet? ah no - got all the electricals and hydraulics and thus instrument displays etc so that is a major win at the moment.Getting the engines started will be a challenge with blue, green and yellow systems and you must have the APU on to provide bleed air and starting is basically cranking them over until them get to a correct RPM and then fuel as per all turbines. Simple it seems not alas. See why they carried a FE for these old birds. There may not be many liveries about for it but the default skins provided do the job - I might get a few additions out the door at a later date.FWIW - this is a real sleeper and caught me by surprise. Edited Saturday at 12:23 AM4 days by coastaldriver
Saturday at 02:50 AM4 days Author Progress via the manual - system setup and engine start successful. Takeoff, Climb ok all instrument indications correct. Lot of work to do with the AP and early FMS which is not your set and forget variety - clunky would be an apt description. The A300 flies beautifully with no weird control responses and behaves as I would expect at 247000lb take off weight aeroplane to behave.
Saturday at 12:52 PM3 days Don't know if you've noticed but there is a new version out for 12 that has free update for 11 owners?Don't know if It's any help but worth a mention.https://store.x-plane.org/Airbus-A300-Classic-B2-200_p_1485.htmlVersion 2.0 (July 12th 2026) New Features- XP12 Version- Fully redesigned electrical system- Fully redesigned APU system- New IRS logic- Fully redesigned hydraulic system- Fully redesigned bleed air system- Fully redesigned air conditioning system- New pressurization logic- Trim air and zone temperature control- Crossbleed operation logic- Brake accumulator system- Realistic individual engine indicators with rolling drums Russell GoughKent, UKFarnborough Airshow 2024FlyJSim 732
Sunday at 12:10 AM3 days Author Sloppysmusic. yes thanks, have updated to the latest version and runs nicely on XP12.4.4 Linux. Maybe the textures in the VC seem a little dates but systems wise they have nailed the A300. Not 100% but a few missing functions does not subtract from the overall authenticity. Not sure but I think ASSP may be a bunch of programmers from Asia or thereabouts. The texture mapping for the skins externally is a bit weird and can produce strange unexpected results when painting them. Otherwise straight forward. I am about done with the following paints: TAA Original, Australian Airlines, Qantas and Fedex. Alas no freighter plug or mod for the A300 so the windows remain.
Sunday at 04:49 PM2 days How does it handle (ground, manual flight, autoflight) ?I didn't like the feel of the Inibuilds A300, nor that of the Beluga.... Edited Sunday at 07:48 PM2 days by jcomm Learning to fly gliders since 1980AMD Ryzen 5600x, 32GB DDR4, RTX 3060Ti (8GB), GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite AX V2 mobo, 1TB + 500GB nvme m.2 disks
Monday at 08:46 AM2 days Author I find the handling benign - no bad faults I can discern. Needs a fair bit of power to roll on the ground but otherwise it feels like a big widebody to me. Autopilot is quirky - this is 1st generation kit the ASSP model reproduces all the systems and displays well. Control it with speed and the autothrottle providing you have the engine management system correctly selected will do the rest. Follows nav systems ground or GPS correctly and loaded and flew a plan in the fms. Still to finess the arrival phase and empty this Airburs climbs like a rocket, loaded very sluggish. One has to take the time to read the manual to see how it works and what your target speed etc should be. Fairly simple though. Has a nice EFB at the AVITAB location to fix a few systems and setup and there is a master control panel for doors etc at the FE station. Not difficult just different. Approach and Landings will be tricky to control speed and get to min speeds for flaps etc. Overall got a handle on it reasonably quickly thought its handling was good but trim control a little slow nothing serious though. You can be very comfortable with this Airbus quickly - I like it a lot and amazed at how accurate it is systems etc. I give it a gold star Plus!Cannot compare to the INI as it is a Windows only model and the ASSP is linux compatible and is not the A300-600 but more the A300B4.
9 hours ago9 hr Sounds interesting, I noticed this one but below my radar for a while as I've heard the XP11 version isn't really up to quality...I'm now kind of feared by "2nd-tier" add-ons... have flown default A330 and feel it's kind not bad and I start to think how bad these non-top tier aircraft could be anyway, turns out Magknight 787 amazed me... in a bad way...I might put this on my radar but I already have FPS748 and Hager380 on the holding list for the same reason above...
Create an account or sign in to comment