Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Experienced airbus pilots, how can I modify this behavior?

Featured Replies

Hey guys, Im a frequent SEQM flyer (Quito, Ecuador), and I get this behavior that while I know its correct elsewhere, I guess its wrong for a high elevation airport like quito.

SEQM airport is at close to 8k feet in elevation. So after I take off, the airplane (Fenix/FSL neo etc) quickly reaches 10K feet and then reduces its climb rate in order to accelerate beyond 250 knots. It keeps climbing, but with a lower rate. The problem? Quito airport is surrounded by high mountains, so sometimes if Im flying north after taking off the plane ends up flyint at 300 knots or so overflying terrain at just 2k feet below. I dont think this is the correct techique, so How should I handle this? What is the correct procedure to follow? (Btw this isnt exclusive to Airbus, happens also with the Boeings etc).

I was thinking about climbing in VS mode until 18k feet and then letting the plane take it from there, but I want to know what is the proper real life technique in these cases.

Edited by xender

Juan Ramos
 

Which departure are you flying?

Did you hand flying?

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell  PP-ASEL KDTW

  • Author
5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Which departure are you flying?

Did you hand flying?

Im doing ARNOK 3A, In this example Im turning the autopilot on at 500ft AGL

Juan Ramos
 

Are you having trouble meeting the above 9000, 12500 and 17000 MSL restrictions on that departure?

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell  PP-ASEL KDTW

  • Author
35 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Are you having trouble meeting the above 9000, 12000 and 17000 MSL restrictions on that departure?

No, my issue is the speed at which im flying, I think its too fast, so close to the terrain below

Juan Ramos
 

1 hour ago, xender said:

Hey guys, Im a frequent SEQM flyer (Quito, Ecuador), and I get this behavior that while I know its correct elsewhere, I guess its wrong for a high elevation airport like quito.

SEQM airport is at close to 8k feet in elevation. So after I take off, the airplane (Fenix/FSL neo etc) quickly reaches 10K feet and then reduces its climb rate in order to accelerate beyond 250 knots. It keeps climbing, but with a lower rate. The problem? Quito airport is surrounded by high mountains, so sometimes if Im flying north after taking off the plane ends up flyint at 300 knots or so overflying terrain at just 2k feet below. I dont think this is the correct techique, so How should I handle this? What is the correct procedure to follow? (Btw this isnt exclusive to Airbus, happens also with the Boeings etc).

I was thinking about climbing in VS mode until 18k feet and then letting the plane take it from there, but I want to know what is the proper real life technique in these cases.

2k feet above terrain is totally fine. The SID would not be allowed if it wouldn't clear terrain / it would have different altitude/speed restrictions.

But to answer your question - there are two correct ways to do it:

1) Set a speed restriction of 250kts on a waypoint further down the departure, preferably one where you consider the altitude prediction as sufficient for accelerating.. The aircraft will then keep 250kts until that waypoint.

2) Set a manual speed (e.g. 250kts) in the PERF CLIMB page. The aircraft will automatically go into selected speed after takeoff and keep that speed until you switch over to managed speed (= push the button).

Creator of: Realistic Pax & Cargo (RPC)

For transparency: I'm a community mentor at the BATC discord. However, I do not get paid for it in any way.

35 minutes ago, xender said:

No, my issue is the speed at which im flying, I think its too fast, so close to the terrain below

Was the aircraft following the speeds in your MCDU route?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell  PP-ASEL KDTW

The easiest way: Pull the speed knob to get "selected speed" mode, then adjust the speed to 250 knots. Once you want to accelerate, push the speed knob to get "managed speed" mode.

The "fully automated" way: On the F-PLN page, press the right-hand line select key (LSK) next to any waypoint in the climb phase. This takes you to the VERT REV page. Among other things, this contains the CLB SPD LIM (climb speed limit). By default, this is set to 250/10000, and you can adjust it to your liking - say 250/15000 if you want to restrict speed to at most 250 knots below 15,000 feet.

  • Author

Thanks a lot guys! I will try these asap!

Juan Ramos
 

Set speed restriction to about 200kts and fly the climb wit flaps 1+F until you have reached the safe altitude. You will see a better climb performance doing this.

On 9/30/2026 at 11:53 AM, xender said:

but I want to know what is the proper real life technique in these cases.

Quito's published procedures are quite explicit about the terrain issue. The current AIP says that departures from both RWY 18 and 36 are normally restricted in climb to 17,000 ft for traffic-management/safety purposes and are to follow the published departure procedures or ATC vectors. It also contains specific restrictions on turns after departure because of terrain.

For the Airbus, as you mentioned, you can skin the cat in different ways.

A

  1. Keep NAV + CLB if you're following the SID.

  2. At/approaching 10,000 ft, pull the SPD knob to select speed.

  3. Set an appropriate climb speed that gives you the required climb gradient rather than immediately accepting the higher managed speed.

  4. Keep OP CLB/appropriate vertical mode as applicable and monitor the altitude restrictions on the SID.

  5. Once you're safely clear of the terrain and the procedure permits it, increase the selected speed.

  6. Push the SPD knob to return to managed speed when appropriate.

The important Airbus point is that selected speed is a normal technique, not some simulator workaround. Airbus specifically describes selecting speed when a higher rate or gradient of climb is required.

B

Program it before t.o.

If the departure requires a particularly steep climb, Airbus documentation says you can preselect the acceleration-altitude speed on the PERF CLB page when a high angle of climb is required because of obstacles.

So, rather than waiting until the aircraft is already accelerating through 10,000:

MCDU → PERF → CLB

and use an appropriate ACCEL ALT / speed strategy for the particular SEQM SID.

I would not simply pull OP CLB and dial in 250 kt and leave it there without considering the SID constraints.

Airbus documentation warns that when you're no longer in managed CLB, the aircraft can disregard the altitude constraints programmed in the flight plan.

NAV + managed CLB + appropriate selected speed is fundamentally different from abandoning the managed vertical profile altogether.

Freshly retired after 41 unforgettable years on the Boeing 747. The flying days may be behind me, but the memories never will be. Now I have the privilege of sharing those experiences—and continuing to learn alongside the next generation of pilots—in the Level D simulator. Aviation has a way of keeping us all pilots, no matter how many hours we've logged.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.