Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taguilo

Formula for X-Wind component

Anyone have a formula to calculate an X-wind component on takeoff.I've been playing with this one, but it's not working out well. There is also the issue of magnetic variation, and I still need to work the GPS_MagVar into the formula.xwindcomponent = windspeed * sin ( windir - runwaydir ) ;//Where:runwaydir = runway * 10 ; // Example: Runway 34 = 340 windir = AMBIENT_WIND_DIRvar.var_value.n ; windspeed = AMBIENT_WIND_VELvar.var_value.n ;Cheers,Bryan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bryan,You have the right formula, but the direction values need to be in radians ,multiply by pi over 180 to get radians.xwindcomponent = windspeed * sin((winddir * pi/180)-(runwaydir * pi/180));RegardsErnie.

Hi,You could just use the sim var AMBIENT WIND X, which gives the wind component on the X axis, in meters per second (for C gauges), or translable to knots units in XML.I believe positive values were for right wind and negative for left, or maybe otherwise, I'm not sure.Tom

AMBIENT WIND X is described as being the wind velocity in the East/West orientation. This would be relative to the world and not the aircraft.

Ernie,Thank you. The Radians were the missing link.My virtual FO can now correctly fill in the X-Wind Component field on his Takeoff Data card :-)Cheers,Bryan