Sign in to follow this  
meshman

Very new to scenery

and only have a very basic understanding how how FSX works scenery wise. All I am wanting to do is move some of the default hangers and buildings at KHUT airport and perhaps add a building or two. I'm not too worried about AI traffic or dynamic scenery, just would like the buildings to look a little more in place. Is there an easy way to do this? Will I need to "recompile" or work with XML stuff? Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about it. Tried reading some of the pinned post at the top of this forum, but it looks like most of the links are for FS9.Thanks for any help.Dondo

To move a default building you will need to do a couple of things. First you need to stop FSX from displaying it where it is now and second you will need to add a new copy where you want it. This is because these buildings are located in one of the 'stock' or 'default' scenery files in FSX. It is not a good idea to try and change the stock file so we are provided some ways to get around it.Looking at the default KHUT ScreenHunter_85.jpgThose grey boxes are the buildings - so those are what you want to move? The small problem with those is that they are what is called a generic building so they do not exist as an object but just some code that tells FSX how to draw them. FSX uses a lot of generic buildings at airports. Before we go any further can you confirm it is those that you want to move or replace?

>Hey -- how come I don't see those grey boxes :)>>scott s.>.>Be patient Scott - they are in the next release version - maybe a couple of weeks more

Yes, those are the buildings I want to replace and/or move. Actually, the little square building directly in front of the long building just north of the green circles. That building isn't really there. Here is a quick view on Google Mapshttp://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.0623...010042&t=h&z=17If I could just get that little building out and maybe get a more proper looking control tower, I'd be pretty pleased with MS's version of KHUT.

OK well as Scott has alluded the program I am using (Airport Design Editor) can help out here. What you are looking at is the development version but if you are happy to wait a week or two then you should be able to do what you want easily enough with it. You could remove that one building using a tool like ExcBuilder which is available in the library here. If you want to move anything or add something or change the control tower then you might like to try ADE when it is released.

Sure, I'm in no hurry at all. What are the differences between this program and FSX Planner. I have Planner installed and it doesn't look like I can edit buildings, just taxi-ways etc.Thanks for the answers guys. I appreciate it.Dondo

Well as the developer of ADE I'm probably not the best person to talk about the relative merits of FSX Planner and Airport Design Editor :-) What I will say is that each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Russell is working on a new version of FSX Planner but has not announced what new functions it will include. Both programs are designed to allow users to modify existing or create new airports in FSX.Airport Design Editor will do what you are looking to do. It knows all about the scenery objects and generic buildings that are at an airport and you can work with them. What the new FSX Planner can is for Russell to comment on.

Ooops, hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way. It was just something I remembered that I had installed. I didn't know if it was still supported or if anyone used it etc.Sorry, hope I didn't touch a nerve. Most likely, I'll play with both, although, right now my main concern is with buildings.Thanks again.Dondo

>Ooops, hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way. It was just>something I remembered that I had installed. I didn't know if>it was still supported or if anyone used it etc.>>Sorry, hope I didn't touch a nerve. Most likely, I'll play>with both, although, right now my main concern is with>buildings.>>Thanks again.>>DondoNo not at all. FSX Planner is a good tools and is well used and currently in development. I am just not a good person to make comparisons - for that you need someone independent of all the tools that do a particular job

>OK well as Scott has alluded the program I am using (Airport>Design Editor) can help out here. What you are looking at is>the development version but if you are happy to wait a week or>two then you should be able to do what you want easily enough>with it. You could remove that one building using a tool like>ExcBuilder which is available in the library here. If you>want to move anything or add something or change the control>tower then you might like to try ADE when it is released.>>Jon,Is there an FSX version of ExcBuilder? In the Library I found only the FS9 version.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I thought that there was, but can't be completely sure. I seems to recall a post somewhere but can't find it. The FS9 one will work for most things in FSX

There's a posting at FSDeveloper with the ExcBuilder for FSX details, but I don't recall it being posted at the "major" sites. A search at FSD should turn it up.