Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

An updated region under the tree...

Yes Folks,"Seattle '08" has arrived in the Avsim Library - or will have shortly ;)The "MD5s" checked out OK so there should be no errors in the zips. Thank goodness, together they're >160MB...Please take time and read the instructions first to avoid problems e.g. please don't just copy over your existing FU3. This is a major upgrade and needs to be done right for the best results.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182352.jpgEnjoy your holidays :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Congrats Jon for this great work.Well done it's in the lib just for Christmas :-)More than 30 downloads in the first hours.:-wave Andre

Thanks Andre,"More than 30 downloads in the first hours."Yes, but there seem to be 41 downloads of Part 2 and only 28 of Part 1 *:-*Or maybe that's because Part 2 appears first? Either way, Part 2 is mostly AI stuff - Part 1 is the 'real nitty-gritty' ;)Mmmmmmm, turkey's in the oven....Merry Christmas All :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Hello Jon.I have just installed a new second harddrive on my old XP.computer and reinstalled FU3 as choice nr.1.. to have some more space available.The new addons for seattle region seems to be very good again.Thank you very mutch for your time doing this freeware complete addons.Lars Peter.

Merry Xmas Jon ;Thanks for putting time and effort into making FU3 a better place to fly in .Much appreciated.CaptRolo

Installed and tested :-)It works flawlessly and looks great! It seems that I've even gotten rid of some old AI hiccups during loading -- there's no need to hit "escape" to resume loading anymore. Regarding "looks", the proof of the pudding is the shorelines. I see very few blue segments running uphill where the water meets land.Hans Petter

Folks,I'm glad that you all like it. I am also really happy that it is proving to be as stable for others as myself. In a couple of emails I received, people have also commented on this. Some problems were AI-related, though there were a lot of missing models and models on tile boundaries that didn't help. To me, it was one aspect of FU3 that probably annoyed a lot of people. One can only enjoy so much when faced with random crashes...The only complaint I've had so far is that the framerates get a bit low on some PCs, but most of this seems to happen near Seattle City. The problem there is that the City, Renton, Boeing Field and Seatac are all visible - in my estimation, something like 2000 models. My PC gets dragged down to 12-15 fps around there. The only solution is to remove any packages you don't want. That said, I don't think the framerates are worse than with Chris's 'Seattle 2005' pack installed but there's more to see...Speaking of seeing, I'd love to see some screenshots from users, showing anything interesting that you find. This package may give you new favourite locations or journeys. It certainly has for me!I cannot pick any favorites yet because there are just too many places to choose from :-roll Regards,Jon Point

Jon,I asked this question a short time ago, but I can't remember if you answered it or not. Are all of the modified taxiway lines, lighting systems, new taxiway signs etc. that I included in the Seattle 2005 pack at the correct elevations ?

Chris,You did and I'm sorry I didn't answer - must've got side-tracked :-rollThe answer is, in general, yes. Some of the airports included were ones I'd modified when testing models (mostly smaller off-beat ones). I believe that almost all of them were somehow based on yours, as I have always used the '2005 set since you released it ;) I know that Lewis Creek, Snoqualmie GC, Bergseth, Asplund and Wolff were ones I'd played with for a long time. Some smaller ones may have had lines removed and I did prune a few tyres here and there (what was I thinking? 36 polygons?). The larger ones are basically '2005 untouched - they're fine as-is. As to exact actual height, most are close, but, like some of the original strips, end-up 20ft higher or lower. I found that strips had to be raised 10-20ft from datum just to match the originals. In most cases this gave the best terrain fit too. The effect may be related to the fact that flat vs. curved tile issue - like side-slipping at Jefferson :-lolI had to manually reset each airport, except the larger ones. In the main, this involved moving the blue square a short distance to another location. This location being of identical altitude to the flattened part of the strip, it often required me to move it closer to the actual runway. I only flattened what I HAD to, not the entire field if possible. For larger places like SEA and Renton, I had to flatten the entire paved area. For smaller strips, only the runway and taxi/parking areas.Packages are similar. I may have modified all of them to some extent, but mainly to add trees to ridges to make them sit in with the scenery better. The new elevation 'catches' forests and buildings - to the extent that many forested areas appear above the surrounds. Whilst a nice effect at a reasonable distance, close-up they look better with a few trees! There are also a few new models - or really old ones that never made light of day. I removed a lot of my mistakes, but there might still be a few around.In any case, if you wish to reload yours, it is easy enough. Reset in FLED is instantaneous. Open a package, grab an object, save and close. With airports, just drag the blue square to somewhere the same height as the strip. The runways and taxiways should all line-up OK. Any 'missing' strips can be easily corrected - I never intended this as a final version - I just need to get some feedback first ;) PS You included readme files in a number of your '2005 packages. As far as I know, I left them in - I assume this was the Gentlemanly thing to do!:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Jon,Will the .cpd to .bin conversion be required before installing your files?The dim one, JimB :-zhelp

Jim,No, it works with either CPD or BIN versions. CPD vs. BIN only affects the terrain texture. Airports and packages don't care about textures, they only need the correct elevation. The new (and corrected) elevation is supplied with the update ;)No more of this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182515.jpgNow you get this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182516.jpgWill someone get rid of that house? Actually, I took the first shot years ago to show how stupid I was, trying to operate the DC3 from Crest. The second shot shows that I am still as stupid, quite some time later :-lolNote the differences in elevation in the background...I still recommend the BIN conversion, if only to allow texture modification, like my modified Bandera:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...17044&mode=full:-waveRegards,Jon Point

"PS You included readme files in a number of your '2005 packages. As far as I know, I left them in - I assume this was the Gentlemanly thing to do!"Oh, I don't worry about stuff like that. Some people make FAR too big an issue out of it. This is freeware, not some commercial project !

I'm pretty sure that I added the house in my Crest Airpark scenery package. The best solution would be to simply move the parking spot forward, so that the bigger planes fit :)

Chris,I don't really mind - Crest isn't really wide enough for DC3s anyway :-lolAs to the legal stuff, it was more a matter of credit where it is due ;) I can't begin to think how hard a job it would have been with your packages!Regards,Jon Point

Jon,It's fantastic, working great so far. I am exploring now. Thank you for providing your flt3.cfg. I've been looking at your screen shots enviously all this time, admiring your atmosphere(sky). My sky has never looked better.I did not install Andre's cpd to bin conversion. I got to step eleven where it calls for Level57Maker V1,7. It's not in the zip or at our library(there is a v1.3 though). I've been getting "server not found" when trying to go to his site to download the tool directly. So conversion postponed for a bit.-I haven't generated outter terrain yet. --Do you have a custom rules.txt? I forgot to bring mine with me.--Should I complete the bin conversion before generating the outer terrain?--In meanwhile I've started downloading outter terrain files from our library.JimB

Hi Jim,Sorry, shame on me - it's really not in the zip.Version 1.3 will do the job for the 16x16 tiles.Version 1.7 is for more than 600 tiles at UKS and Australia (Bruce)and other regions.To avoid water on the east of the region set region config as: reg_width 10 reg_height 16 and yes my server is down, may be for ever :-(:-waveAndre

Jim,Attached is mine - it is a bit of a hodge-podge :-lol If anyone has a better one, I'm all ears.Don't worry about the binfiles with OT - it's best to get FU3 running properly before changing anything. If you send me an email, I'll reply with a copy of LevelMaker57. Andre's site is down right now :-(:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Andre,"and yes my server is down, may be for ever :-("Thats terrible news for us all! Anything we Flt3 enthusiasts can do? or, Maybe the Avsim folks could host you? JimB

Jon,Thankyou for your rules.txt. Mine was a hodge-podge as well. Lakes and rivers, LG, plus more custom entries from you and others. Then there were the experimental entries from myself along with DirtyMacs gtl editor. This contract is scheduled to last to March, so maybe I'll have another go at customizing my gentiles.tag again.Thank you again,JimB

Jim,Here is the Level57Maker for Seattle expansion.Version 1.7 will also support the new tiles in the north.Select Seattle and Seattle Palette before run.After this you will lost night lights but I make a fix so after the run copy Tileindex.bin into the map folder to get night lights back.I will try to find a new host or may be I do it by dyndns with a spare computer on a slow adsl connection. hope to be back with the same domain name so old links will work again :-)good luck and have fun with the expansion, can be made up to Vancouver :-):-waveAndre

Agtim, I just decided it was time to make the move to *.bin :-)However, I'm stuck at this point (from the readme):5. copy from the black cd (labeled disc 1) cd:FLT3REGIONSSEATTLEMAPS all cpd files (16), COMPRESS.BIN, and all L3????.bin (101) into step1 work folderMy problem is, there are no cpd files in my ..regionsseattlemaps. I get the BIN files and the compress.bin but the latter is redundant since I already got it from ..CDROMseattleMAPS in the previous step. I checked the original installation disks and found a "scenery disk 1". This seems to be the correct one but there are no cpd files on this one either. So, where are these extra 16 cpd files to be found?If this thing about 16 extra cpd files is a typo meaning I've got them already from ..CDROMseattleMAPS I'll run the batch files tomorrow. I just want to make sure before I proceed :-)In any event, everything WILL be backed up.

Hello Hans,Here is where mine are located(I had saved each of the Flt3 cd's to an external hard drive):E:Flt3_CDsInstall DiscFLT3REGIONSSEATTLEMAPSTake care, and Happy New Years,JimB