Sign in to follow this  
Guest dickwu

ATC Voice

Just my 2 cents. I think the voices in the downloaded demos sound much better than the google demo. No, not perfect, but nothing ever is, especially in the FS9 world. I'm also sure that the voice sets in the actual program will be even better than the demo and that both user and developer tweaks, fixes, etc will be easily available in the future. Bottom line, is that between what I've seen on the demo, reading the manual, and the developer support I've seen here, I'm still waiting patiently to be a first time RC owner. Brad2 miles from KELP/KBIFhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest dickwu

>Hi Adeym,>>We'd love to have a controller set from both of you but>especially from your girlfriend. We only have one lady>controller. I've asked my gf and she seemed to be interested in recording the voice too (I said to her I want to hear her voice while I'm playing flight sim, lol)But we both got Hong Kong accent, will that be a problem?

Ricardo,<>It would seem you prefer style to substance :-(<>Which voices fail your test? All of them or just some? I fail to understand why you think they sound like robots when we've used real people for the recordings. I suggest you never go anywhere near programs that use conputer-generated voices - you wouldn't end up with a headache - you'd get a migraine!<>I did and I still do. I'm very pleased with my work. I'm sorry you fail to share my opinion. I hope you continue to enjoy the default ATC with its voices and flawed ATC rules.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Dickwu,We'll need to hear your voicesfirst using our test script. Enunciation, speed of delivery and recording quality are all important considerations.Get in touch with us in a couple of months and we'll send you a recording pack.Thanks!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have not read the whole thread but gaps between phrases are frequently controlled by the audio acceleration options via the DX sound drivers. You can try different settings (generally one above basic) setting them via dxdiag.exe which should be on your pc as placed by any video card drivers or sound card drivers.Even your video card advanced settings might offer links to audio acceleration.Watch the effect on FPS and stutters, though, to see if you can increase the rate.

Guest Steve Keating

>Yep. I have noticed the "THE" as well. It would have been>better to omit "the airport". I am not sure what phrase is>used, if there is no voicefile for the destination airport,>but a phrase like "You're cleared to {airport}" could have>been re-used to "You're cleared to your destination airport>{or WXYZ ICAO)".>>Cheers.Maybe we could replace "The" with "Err".This would be more realistic especially for a ATCO or pilot early morning just starting or just finishing another punishing shift.Steve Keating10,000Hrs+A300,L1011,B707,CL-44 F.E.

Ray,As a FS4 user and Belgian nationality I must say that the ATC voices are not always very comprehensible. But I also admit after listening to real ATC ( http://www.liveatc.net/ ) , the real ATC is even worse.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Hi Roger,I've just listened to real ATC on the link you provided and I have to say that if we'd provided wavs of that quality people would probably have complained loud and long! ATC is not high-fidelity.I think you'll find that you will grow to understand some 'foreign' accents. I always remember working with a Geordie back in the 70's and I couldn't understand a word he said for several months but slowly I gre accustomed to his accent. A Geordie is a person from the Newcastle area of NE England and they have particularly strong accents.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest daniel.alm

I agree, the original FS9 ATC is too clear compared to the real world. I for one like the voices in RC4, the way the frequencies are spoken, is the only thing which could be improved. Anyway, I've ordered RC4 this morning and hope to get it before Christmas.

Hi Ray"A Geordie is a person from the Newcastle area of NE England and they have particularly strong accents"Barbarian then, eh ? That far north is borderline Pict I'd say :-samurai;-)Anyway, to business; for those who've only watched the demo on the main RC page and not yet watched the downloadable demo's then its definitely worth doing so. Not being at the mercy of the 'streaming' effect will give a much better idea of speech patterns, especially on the UK + US demo's.Apologies if this may have been asked in an alternative thread but can the pilot voiceset I recorded in v.3 be transferred into v.4 ? Do I take it there may be new phrases to add too ? Its kinda cool to hear you own voice (hold fire, did I just say 'kinda' ? sorry, very un-English of me....). Gladly volunteer to do a voiceset in the future if you wish. My thanks and appreciation to you and the 'sound team', I reckon you've done a superb job (along with those on the rest of the product of course - daren't leave them out :-hah ).Just wish the postie would hurry up...... Kevin

Hi Kevin,Watch it - I originated not many miles from Hadrians wall (Cumbria in fact). You can hear my barbarian accent on the demos ;-)Seriously, though, thanks for your kind words.v3 voice sets won't really work in v4. Too many new wav files. We are using the same recording utility, however, so you'll just need a new set of pilot scripts/controller scripts.I'm not sure if they are included on the cd or if jd intends making them available seperately to interested folk.All the best,John

Hi Kevin,As Basil Fawlty might say "A satisfied customer -we should have him stuffed! :-lolNow down to the serious stuff...<< can the pilot voiceset I recorded in v.3 be transferred into v.4 ?>>Unfortunately not. We've increased the number of pilot wavs to 1793. It's easier for you to record a whole new set. Come back to us in a couple of months when we've had a break from processing and we'll send you a pack.Thanks for the nice words. The sound team comprosed 3 of us and I did the majority during evenings and weekends when I wasn't working full time. I sometimes wonder how we even managed to get through 73000 wavs!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest DavidJE

Ok, after watching the videos I have to agree that while the ATC aspects are excellent the voices are terrible. It's not the quality of the .wav files I don't mind listening to a voice if it sounds like it's from the moon. But the long pauses especially between numbers is a big let down, it would certainly give me a headache even after even one departure. Even the video was too hard to listen to more then once to my ears.Sorry, know you guys have a great team and have worked very hard on this project, the ATC instructions etc itself seems very good. Unfortunate about the pauses at this time. Regards,David

Guest lmoelleb

>i'd be interested in know what he did>It's surprisingly easy actually. I found an algorithm on the net called "SOLA" or something like that.Take the wave file and split into segments. You have to play with the length of these segments - I use 100 samples in EditVoicepack. As far as I remember the sample segment length was not that important, so I guess I stuck with 100 as it was the last I tried before concluding I could not hear any difference in the interval I tried. :)You now generate a new wave file with the following segments:1: Segment 12: Segment 23: Linear fade from segment 3 to segment 44: Segment 55: Segment 66: Linear fade from segment 7 to segment 87: Segment 9...Obviously you can change the amount of unchanged segments between each fade to control the acceleration. I only have one speed (a fairly aggressive acceleration) in the released version of EVP as I wanted to release the new version without too much delay, but my current development version supports setting the acceleration.If you want to see the source code (C#) please send me an email (larsm@xs4all.nl).

David,I assume you haven't owned v3. Before you dismiss RCv4 out of hand have a read of the AvSim v3 review here. The sounds in V4 are similar to those but perhaps slightly better.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0103/radar_control_3/rc3.htmlAlso, have a listen to this http://www.liveatc.net/ real-world ATC. You might find it totally different to the silky but totally unrealistic FS ATC.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather