Sign in to follow this  
Zachiii

RC4 holding unable

RC4 ATC will not hold me, ever.Under Phane Information and Options I have checked "hold" which means nothing.What do you say about this. Is it just me, or is the problem universal?Thanks,zach

You last waypoint must be a VOR on or very, very near to your destination airport. Try that and see if the hold works. I had this problem, too, until jd cleared that up for me. Your last waypoint cannot be an intersection near the approach end of the runway, for example.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Ok, but will having a VOR on the airport *always* trigger a hold? I was under the impression that traffic/weather also played a role. Otherwise you would be in a position of getting a hold into some airports where such would never happen in reality. i.e. the VOR is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for a hold? Mike

Hi Mike,On the general options page of RC there are 3 options for holding.If you select 'on' you should always be held if you have a suitable VOR in the flight plan.The options are described on p.113 of the manual.All the best,John

John,I think RC4 is great but the hold feature does not work.In Adventure Text Display are many options (i.e. dev. for wx, dev. for turbulence, etc.). There is never an option to hold. There is never issued a directive from ATC to hold. There is never any holding, expect during a missed approach you are giver an option to hold. I think on the main RC4 page, under Radar Contact Options "General" tab selected, then under "Plane Information & Options", with holding selected "ON" ( you will always be held) does not work. That is to say ATC does not issue any holding during the flight.Chech this out and post.Thanks,zach

holding does worksend me the .pln file you are using, and i'll tell you why you aren't being held, when you have holding set to "on"jd

Is your last waypoint a VOR on, or very close, to your destination airport? If it is, and you have hold ON, then you should be held. I always am. It is not an option in the AdvDisp box. But, you can choose what kind of hold you want through AdvDisp.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Rick,Thanks.So, you've been held. I'm glad to know the hold works.But I ain't never been held and I fly with the hold option "on" all the time.I will try to do some of the VOR stuff until RC4 holds me.By the way, I'm 62 years old. I hope to get held before I die.zach

Guest RichR

Holding can be intiated by ATC at any part of the flight when situations such as weather at the destination is causing delays. Why is the last VOR on the flight plan used in RC4? A couple of turns through the holding pattern could be an interesting diversion enroute. Like others, I have never been told to hold using RC4.RichR

I've only been held 2 times. I didn't realize until this thread the connection with the endpoint VOR. Both times were into heavy traffic areas: Laguardia and Orlando. Both were claimed as "saturation traffic" and in one case resulted in 3 "loops" and in the other 2 "loops". I've probably done about close to 70 flights now with RC, so you can see that the percentage is low. However, I suspect if one put in the endpoint VOR in flights into large metro airports the hold rate would increase greatly. A bit artificial, I must admit. I'd rather the decision to hold or not be based soley on traffic density/weather minimums than an endpoint VOR, but can see that having such a VOR makes it esier to program the hold pattern from the RC perspective. Mike

jd,Thanks for the email.I'm workin' on flying from KGSO to KRDU and to its VOR, located at the airport, lookin' for my first ATC hold ever.The first flight today ATC failed hold me.I will modify the flight plan and try again.My "alway hold option" is always "ON", and I'm still lookin' for that first hold.I can get a hold upon declaring a missed approach, but not yet for traffic or weather. I think the "alway hold selction" is just not what it says it is...As for forwarding of my .pln, well I've never done that...and as soon as I get a hold, I'll try to figure out how to sent the .pln to you. Or maybe I should sell it to others who want a hold.Well, I ain't been held since I bought RC4, though it is a great ATC program. I bought it many months ago and it might be many more months before ATC holds me, but rest assured my "alway hold option" is always "ON".zach

Guest lou ross

Nothing new here- just to reiterate: I always include a VOR at the destination field in the flight plan. I do get holds when I select "ON"; the "weather/traffic hold" depends (just as in real life). I've departed for KORD (real life) and been told there are 45 minute delays, get to ORD, and no delays. I've also gotten delays when there was no fore-warning. So, to me, the RC "weather/traffic hold" is consistent with real life flying.

the last checkpoint being a vor is necessary, so when you get your holding instructions, and it is so many miles, on a such a such radial, you need a vor to reference.the vor has to be close to the airport, otherwise the holding pattern may enter approach airspace, which we are trying to avoid.the manual describes holding probabilities, and requirements for being held, and it has been discussed here on the forum several timesjd

if you send me the .pln file, i can tell you why you're not being held. i don't need you to fly or try to be hold. just send the .pln file to jd@jdtllc.comjd