Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

exe.xml and dll.xml in different folders in P3Dv3.3.5?

I've just found that there are exe.xml and dll.xml files in each of the following folders:

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Preap3D v3\    and

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\

These files have different content in each pair. Do I need to merge them? Where should they reside per P3D folder/file system? Can I remove the ones that are in the wrong place? (Weird, but P3Dv3.3.5 seems to work just fine here).

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: I'm afraid they were placed by some installers there

Ok, it looks like it is SIMStarter's fault. For those who use it check out your serttings under Platform specific settings (P3Dv3) tab (in Program Settings section. By default SIMstarter defines Path to dll.xml and exe.xml locations wrongly to some reason. Now I have to merge the files and change their locations in SIMstarter NG.

Dirk.

I've just found that there are exe.xml and dll.xml files in each of the following folders:

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Preap3D v3\    and

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\

These files have different content in each pair. Do I need to merge them? Where should they reside per P3D folder/file system? Can I remove the ones that are in the wrong place? (Weird, but P3Dv3.3.5 seems to work just fine here).

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: I'm afraid they were placed by some installers there

Hello

The path "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Preap3D v3\ " is the old FS file system.

"C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3\" is part of the new P3D proposed file system.

AFAIK developers (ie new developments) should abide to the new file system format.

You can have dll.xml & exe.xml in both locations. Just make sure You don't have duplicated entries.

• Upvote 1

Just like to add to that excellent information...

If we have P3D v3 and delete the dll.xml and exe.xml in the "old" path:

C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\

these will not be recreated.

If we delete the dll.xml and exe.xml in the "new" path:

C:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\

these will be recreated.

The new path:

C:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\

is otherwise known as:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\

because this is the physical location.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Ok, it looks like it is SIMStarter's fault. For those who use it check out your serttings under Platform specific settings (P3Dv3) tab (in Program Settings section. By default SIMstarter defines Path to dll.xml and exe.xml locations wrongly to some reason. Now I have to merge the files and change their locations in SIMstarter NG.

Actually, both places are perfectly valid, and P3D sees both -- the ProgramData files first then the AppData files. Both are documented as valid in the P3D SDK documentation. Some programs' add-ins (the  ASN DLL, FSUIPC and one or two others), work best when loaded last, and to guarantee that they MUST use the AppData path. Furthermore, by using that path programs can have installers which are more easily compatible across all versions of FSX, not just specific to P3D.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Excellent information, gentlemen. 

SIMstarter works perfect then.

Thanks,

Dirk.

SIMstarter works perfect then.

However SIMstarter developer should study this information to be able to manipulate dll.xml and exe.xml with his software properly. 

Just to add, this isn't "new" to P3D V3.3 ... I believe this was added starting with V3.0.

There is a new Add-On process for P3D V3.3 which I hope 3rd party adopt as it will make it a lot easier to manage 3rd party products.

Cheers, Rob.

These are my dll.xml and exe.xml in ProgramData:

DLL.XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="3,0" id="dll">
  <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>TargetInfo</Name>
    <Path>Gauges\TargetInfo.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Flight Recorder</Name>
    <Path>Aerosoft\Flight Recorder\AS-FlightRecorder.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Mindstar Hypergauge</Name>
    <Path>Modules\HyperGauge.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

EXE.XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="3,0" id="exe">
  <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

These are my dll.xml and exe.xml in AppData:

DLL.XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>STB Sim Plugin</Name>
    <Path>F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D ADD-ONS\SuperTrafficBoard Data Server for Prepar3D V3\STBServer\STBServer.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Path>F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

EXE.XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0" id="exe">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>SuperTrafficBoard Data Server</Name>
        <Path>F:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D ADD-ONS\SuperTrafficBoard Data Server for Prepar3D V3\StbDataServer.exe</Path>
        <CommandLine>Sim=P3DV3</CommandLine>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>GoFlight Hardware Interface</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFDevP3D.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>EZdok camera addon</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\EZCA\EZCA.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Couatl</Name>
        <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
        <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I wish I knew the correct order for single merged DLL.XML and EXE.XML to manipulate them easier when I need.

Any guidelines, please, for the entries order, in case I'd like to merge files and leave single dll.xml and exe.xml under ProgramData?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Further to my point about those files not being recreated if deleted from the AppData\Roaming location; beware some installers might not be able to add their sections to the files if the exe.xml or dll.xml are not found in the original AppData\Roaming location. Make sure these are available when installing older setup programs.

We call AppData\Roaming the 'original' location but in fact it's the User specific location. These are available only when a specified User logs in, so the sim wouldn't load these if another User logged in. The All Users items are executed first, followed by the items in the User folder as Pete mentioned.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

IMHO, until LM makes a complete switch, leave them where they are and basically don't manually edit them unless you know what you are doing. LM reads both and combines them. 

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Further to my point about those files not being recreated if deleted from the AppData\Roaming location; beware some installers might not be able to add their sections to the files if the exe.xml or dll.xml are not found in the original AppData\Roaming location. Make sure these are available when installing older setup programs.

We call AppData\Roaming the 'original' location but in fact it's the User specific location. These are available only when a specified User logs in, so the sim wouldn't load these if another User logged in. The All Users items are executed first, followed by the items in the User folder as Pete mentioned.

Good point

IMHO, until LM makes a complete switch, leave them where they are and basically don't manually edit them unless you know what you are doing. LM reads both and combines them. 

Vic

All good points, I better don't touch them and use my rename batches instead when I want to manipulate the content before launch.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I wish I knew the correct order for single merged DLL.XML and EXE.XML to manipulate them easier when I need.

Any guidelines, please, for the entries order, in case I'd like to merge files and leave single dll.xml and exe.xml under ProgramData?

As I said in my earlier post, the ProgramData ones are processed first, then the AppData ones. As for whether it be EXE or DLL first, I'm not sure. Best not to assume that either way.

Note that if you move items from one to the other, as you propose, then you will get into trouble next time any of those are updated as you are then liable to get double entries -- the same things run from both. Just leave well alone!

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

An old saying comes to mind:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

To add more, there is also a difference in security context between the two folder locations which can cause some issues.

There were some instances where I ran into a problem that caused a CTD, there was an older airport (still designed for V3) that used a version of Aerosoft's APController.exe that got installed into AddData EXE.XML and then a newer airport used a different version of APController.exe that got installed into the ProgramData EXE.XML.

Needless to say, the two conflicted and caused a CTD.  Resolution was to remove the older APController.exe reference from AppData EXE.XML.

They are "merged" but there is no mechanism to filter out duplicates.

Cheers, Rob.