Sign in to follow this  
godimaginedme

V3 Autogen Question

I just installed FTX Global for V3 and it looks great!

However, autogen seems to be the limiting performance factor. Most of my settings are high (One notch left of full right), except for water (low) and Tree and building autogen (normal). In 2.5 I had autogen on dense and was yielding similar performance results. 

I'm running a 4790k with HT off and no AM setting. The first core is (as to be expected) running at about 90-100% and the other three are running anywhere from 15-40%. With autogen any higher, stutters are introduced and FPS dip below 20 regularly on the ground. This has now evolved into a three part question:

1) Would an AM setting make any difference?

2) Is there a way to make autogen more 'densely packed' in a given area using a lower autogen setting. i.e. Lots of houses and trees within a 7 mile radius, and outside of that ring, no autogen.

3) Is this tweak still relevant? 

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2400

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1600

Thanks

How did you install FTX Global ?

After you install it you need to make it live through the FTX Central, and after that normally you will be offered any library updates, but there seems to be an issue with FTX library updates as of last night so you need to d/l and install the libraries separately.

Have you done this ?

Do NOT tweak your prepar3d.cfg. It's mostly unnecessary and in fact may harm performance, as many elements have changed between v2 and v3.

1) You may get a performance boost by setting AM to a different value. I own an Intel 4690K, and setting AM=15 gives me a slight performance boost. However, it doesn't mean that the effect is universal with all systems.

2) The default autogen distance is 6.2 miles, and there is very little beyond that. I don't know of any way to make autogen more densely packed in a specific area if the overall autogen density setting is low.

3) Yes, it is.

Where did your test your autogen performance?  Default or using an add-on?

1) You may get a performance boost by setting AM to a different value. I own an Intel 4690K, and setting AM=15 gives me a slight performance boost. However, it doesn't mean that the effect is universal with all systems.

2) The default autogen distance is 6.2 miles, and there is very little beyond that. I don't know of any way to make autogen more densely packed in a specific area if the overall autogen density setting is low.

3) Yes, it is.

Where did your test your autogen performance?  Default or using an add-on?

Thanks for that. I'll try them out!

I have been testing at KSEA and KSFO with the NGX and 777 since those are the only planes I have been flying. Still waiting for updated installers for the Duke and Q400. 

So you didn't `Apply Group` ?

I did apply group. Forgive me, I'm not sure how this is relevant....

Thanks Manny, I have been following that post for awhile. But I seem to have better results with HT off.

Autogen performance is now primarily GPU bound, not CPU.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Autogen performance is now primarily GPU bound, not CPU.

is that building as well as vegetation autogen please?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Makes no difference to the computer, they're all just textured 3D scenery models being rendered through the same process; tree, house, chimney, factory, as far as P3D is concerned it's all autogen.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

up to v2.5 I am sure building autogen particularly was cpu bound - recall beau posting in LM forums about it - unless I'm losing my mind? :P

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Is it just me or is the building autogen popping in in sort of a grid or tile pattern in v3?  In v2 the buildings would sort of fade in and out as the LOD radius moved but in v3 I'm getting a much more pronounced "popping" effect.  

If autogen has been moved more to the GPU and I have my GTX 980 always pinging at or near 100% because of AA settings, then my autogen performance may be suffering.  Anyone else seeing this?

Ryan

Autogen building has been improved with more GPU emphasis as well. It is not like v2.5.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I'm pretty sure that building autogen is still CPU bound. I can crank trees up to ExD, with a minimal performance hit. Setting building autogen, i get a pretty big hit. I think i'll change this: TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1600 to this TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=600

I'm pretty sure you're incorrect... but that's ok... :smile:

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69