Sign in to follow this  

PMDG NGX Youtube Tutorials

Great stuff, mate. From now on I'm using V/S to not level out before GS intercept!

Andre

Great stuff, mate. From now on I'm using V/S to not level out before GS intercept!

Andre

Yes that's common practice! Certainly in UK airports and I think most of Europe continuous descents are monitored and recorded (Typically below 6000ft) to make sure you're not leveling off during approach, we don't want to get too low so we use V/S to maintain a CDA until we capture the G/S!

Here is a link you might find interesting.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/publication/files/2011-cd-brochure-web.pdf

Yes that's common practice! Certainly in UK airports and I think most of Europe continuous descents are monitored and recorded (Typically below 6000ft) to make sure you're not leveling off during approach, we don't want to get too low so we use V/S to maintain a CDA until we capture the G/S!

Here is a link you might find interesting.

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/publication/files/2011-cd-brochure-web.pdf

Cool! Thanks. I'll have a look.

Makes sense. I suppose it saves fuel, reduces emissions and noise.

Andre

Keep up the good work. One of the best things that's happened to this forum.

Great to have a real pilot about !!!

Vernon Howells

Just saw your take-off video. Great stuff, much more work intensive than what I do in the sim. After rotate I go LNAV + FLCH, stay at Vref + 20 for a while, especially if there are sharp turns (and of course go wing view to enjoy my expensive sceneries....!). Then I go bug up, flaps up, then VNAV. More or less never touch V/S, but I see from your videos it's used quite a lot.

Andre

I have watched a few sim videos on Youtube, interesting to see the differences each pilot takes to the NGX.  I've seen some use V/S mostly, some part of the time, others not at all.  

My approach (departure?) is to arm LNAV/VNAV before takeoff, then CMD A once I'm stable after takeoff and want to start cleaning up (gear is normally raised by my FO).  If I can't arm LNAV before taking off, then I fly manually/HDG SEL (mostly) until I am on the correct intercept heading and can arm LNAV.  I do prefer V/S for descent & landing, but sometimes leave it up to the FMC.

The above works for me.

Just saw your take-off video. Great stuff, much more work intensive than what I do in the sim. After rotate I go LNAV + FLCH, stay at Vref + 20 for a while, especially if there are sharp turns (and of course go wing view to enjoy my expensive sceneries....!). Then I go bug up, flaps up, then VNAV. More or less never touch V/S, but I see from your videos it's used quite a lot.

Andre

Unfamiliar with FLCH, don't have it fitted to our fleet but what you have described is certainly the basics! One thing I didn't mention is during flap retraction after departure we do not use V/S initially, this is to prevent any low speed or flap exceedance, the priority is to accelerate! As soon as the flaps are up with the LE light extinguished we can start to use V/S to help prevent nuiscanse TCAS RA's! Remember this is my operators policy, for others it might be completely different!

I have watched a few sim videos on Youtube, interesting to see the differences each pilot takes to the NGX. I've seen some use V/S mostly, some part of the time, others not at all.

My approach (departure?) is to arm LNAV/VNAV before takeoff, then CMD A once I'm stable after takeoff and want to start cleaning up (gear is normally raised by my FO). If I can't arm LNAV before taking off, then I fly manually/HDG SEL (mostly) until I am on the correct intercept heading and can arm LNAV. I do prefer V/S for descent & landing, but sometimes leave it up to the FMC.

The above works for me.

That's one of the most common ways from looking at other operators on how to fly a departure, arming VNAV before and it certainly works!

Once again thank you to everyone who subscribed and liked my videos! Just to reiterate this is really a hobby for me and I enjoy sharing what I teach at work and what I've learnt over the past 5 years.

My tutorials describe one way of operating the 737 and every airline and operator will be slightly different. I'm just showing you "a" way of flying the 737 which is based on what I know and what I instruct every single day! You might find a video online of a procedure flown completely differently, it doesn't mean it's incorrect or wrong!

Having said that some of the YouTube videos I've seen................... :fool:

Have a great weekend and fly safe!

flightdeck2sim.

Great stuff thank you... subscribed.

Martin Woulfe

Computer Specs

Mobo P6X58D-E, CPU i7-950 @ 4.0 GHz, GPU GTX470, 6GB DDR3 RAM

FSX

PMDG J41, PMDG MD11, Flight 1 BN Islander, EZCA, ASE, REX, SimplatesX, Ultimate Traffic 2, FS Global 2010, Ground Env X (Europe), Ultimate Terrain X (Europe)

Aerosoft LFPG, EDDF

UK2000 EGPH, EGLL, EGSS, EGGP

Fly Tampa St Maarten, St Barths, SABA, Grenadines

Unfamiliar with FLCH

What I mean is level change. It's called FLCH in the 777 which I also fly but in the 737 I believe it's just level change or LVL CHG.

Andre 

Excellent, i look forward to learning!! I only have FS2Crew as my learn from....

​As A NewTuber myself i wish you the best of luck growing your channel!

​Liam Reynolds.

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Once again thanks for the wonderful feedback.

I've had the time to make another tutorial, How to fly a NPA using VNAV! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYzXB6nb_I

As I said on this post previously...

My tutorials describe one way of operating the 737 and every airline and operator will be slightly different. I'm just showing you "a" way of flying the 737 which is based on what I know and what I instruct every single day! You might find a video online of a procedure flown completely differently, it doesn't mean it's incorrect or wrong!

Fly Safe! 

flightdeck2sim

Unfamiliar with FLCH, don't have it fitted to our fleet but what you have described is certainly the basics! One thing I didn't mention is during flap retraction after departure we do not use V/S initially, this is to prevent any low speed or flap exceedance, the priority is to accelerate! As soon as the flaps are up with the LE light extinguished we can start to use V/S to help prevent nuiscanse TCAS RA's! Remember this is my operators policy, for others it might be completely different!

That's one of the most common ways from looking at other operators on how to fly a departure, arming VNAV before and it certainly works!

Once again thank you to everyone who subscribed and liked my videos! Just to reiterate this is really a hobby for me and I enjoy sharing what I teach at work and what I've learnt over the past 5 years.

Having said that some of the YouTube videos I've seen................... :fool:

Have a great weekend and fly safe!

flightdeck2sim.

I have flown two different liveries of the NGX, I see on the on of them, which is  from one of our local airline's low-cost division, they don't have LVL CHNG, HGS, or even airstairs (lol, don't know what my pax do at scenery with static airbridges and no stairs! :) ).  I do like using the HGS for situational awareness and keeping an eye outside the cockpit, but managed fine without it.

And thank you for all your effort in producing the videos, it is really appreciated.

I have also seen some questionable YT videos, but just filter the good from the bad.  flightdeck2sim fall on the good and are some of my favourite.  

Great stuff & good luck - Just subscribed :smile:

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit