Sign in to follow this  
hookandbook2

21" Monitor anyone got one?

CRT or flat panel?I think for the money you'd spend on a CRT 21" you could buy a 17" or maybe even a 19" flat panel if you look for deals. Just make sure you have at least a 2-3 year warrenty on the back light.Mike Brown

Guest mattiassjolund

Hi...It is a stated fact that a CRT will allways give you a better graphic, unless you are willing to spend big dollars. I have a 21" CRT and i am very happy...Friends of mine has flats and it is truly not half as good in that price range./m

The ULTIMATE LCD monitor for gaming which I have, has even the first glass covering oner the screen so it looks like a CRT! 12 MS and is the fastest 19" lcd anywhere and there is 0 ghosting.....http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=vp912b&page=1 Plus it's less than 700 US! so opting over a crt is easy.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Hi...>>It is a stated fact that a CRT will allways give you a better>graphic, unless you are willing to spend big dollars. I have a>21" CRT and i am very happy...>>Friends of mine has flats and it is truly not half as good in>that price range.>>/m>>Thanks guy's.Matt, I was told that LCD's were nice but the ones I looked at in the stores seemed to not refresh that great. However they did not have much of a veriaty from which to choose.A few of my clients (were talking a few years back) that used Autocad and apps like it had big monotors. It seems the price has come down a lot since.A few peopple that have LCD's told me they had problems with dead pixels etc. But again that was some time ago, I'm sure they have improved them in the intrime.It looks to me like I would be better off with the CRT, more bang for the buck!Thanks for your responses.Regards

Guest bobsk8

One thing you need to know about an LCD is the native resolution of the Panel. What is it, XGA, SXGA, SXGA+. ( 1024x768..1280x1024..1400x1050) This makes a big difference since you have a finite number of pixels to work with and your video card should put out one of those resolutions. The advantage of the CRT display is that you can vary the resolution and find the one that works best with your graphics card, your PC, and the dot pitch of the monitor.

I have a SONY Trinitron 21". It's very good for visual "real estate" size, and performs well for me in 1600x1200x32 bit. However, it is not amazing. My 19" TRINI had better color saturation. I have a 17" ViewSonic which is outstanding with good color controls and saturation but not quite as stunning as the 19" TRINI. That said if I had the $$, I would buy a 21" or 22" Viewsonic CRT because they get fabulous reviews and I bet they are great.JS

I have a 21" Samsung LCD. First off, you've got to run your app (FS) at the resolution of the monitor. My monitor is 1600x1200, so I run everything at 1600x1200. A new video card was required. :) If you don't match the resolutions, everything will still work but you get aliasing because the pixel holes on the LCD don't line up with what res you're outputting. CRT's have better color in some ranges, however LCD produces a better overall color distribution. Plus you don't have gamma problems with LCD. LCD smears when you spin fast causing CRT's to appear more responsive.So when I got to work and play games on my 21" CRT at work, I'm "Wow! That looks good!" Then when I get home and play games I'm "Wow! That looks good!" When I go out, I'm "Wow! I can't play games!"These differences are a matter of personal taste I think. Better check it out throughly before you buy.

Guest wesl

I would opt for the CRT. I have a Samsung 21" 213t LCD and a Samsung 955 19" CRT in a dual set up. I wanted the LCD for the 1600 x 1200 resolution, which is the native resolution. Plus I wanted to be able to read what was there. I will admit, flying low and slow with the 21" screen is great. But the performance is 8 fps better on the CRT. And FSCOF less of an eye strain in the CRT. If you buy an LCD, I think the key is the seek time of less than 12 ms. that keeps ghosting to a minimum. I think my LCD is 25ms. Some ghosting, but dark. Of course, I've only used the LCD in digital mode, so there are no adjustments. Besides, unless you absolutely have to have it, a good 18" LCD has the same view as a 19" CRT, but the CRT can be had for less than 150 bucks.Good luckWes

Guest christianholmes

I have a Viewsonic G790 21" CRT. Kick #### monitor- I've had it about 4 years. Great picture, awesome for gaming. I personally think LCDs suck for gaming, unless you want to spend top dollar. The only reason I can think of is limited desk space. And with all our flight-sim-geek periperals, that might be an issue :) Personally, I'd buy a nice big CRT and a new desk.

I have a Viewsonic VP211B 21" LCD. It has a 25ms which is/was the fastest a year ago when I got it. It is actually 21.3" viewable. It runs at 1600x1200x32. I love it and will never go back to CRT. The only thing I dont like is when flying at night and your turning and what not, the lights on the ground flicker from the LCD not having as fast a refresh rate as a CRT would.

Eric 

Folks, I have a ViewSonic P810 (that is a CRT), now that is old gear. Picked up from a CadCam mob upgrading their stuff. OZ$500 LCD's were in the womb at the time. Thought I was mad paying that, but I have never looked back. The Wife did not understand but she had to help me position it as it is a 'two person lift'. Absolutely fantastic performance. i.e. from the CRT!!Now it has come to pass that the Wife wants to re arrange the 'cockpit'. (The Wife needs to share the 'cockpit' with a second PC for her work) The Wife says that if you get one of those 'flat screens' it will not take up so much desk space. True indeed, but I am looking for performance (from the CRT - well at least in this context!!). The Wife cannot understand that an odd map, approach chart and the like spread about is in the norm however, if the Wife uses my CH peddels for a foot rest again there could be a enquiry into the inappropriate use of equipment.Looking at the specs. on the latest LCD's, say 19" to be fairly close to viewing area of a 21" CRT, they look good if you are prepared to spend the money at the high end of this spectrum to be somewhere near to the equivalent performace of the CRT.Hard call just now as I am sure in 6 months or so the technology will be there and of course cheaper. But hey, is that not always? For me (and the Wife), maybe it is a compromise of re-arranging the desks and bringing in help to shift the screen. I love my P810 ViewSonic!!RegardsJock McIntyre (YMML)

Jock McIntyre

Buck:I also have a 19" LCD, DELL Ultrasharp. Good piece of hardware, but FS9 looks terrible on it so I use it exclusively for FSNavigator and instruments panels. I've seen one or two good LCDs for FS but in general CRTs still seem to be better. JS

Guest Buck Bolduc

Thanks for you input guy's.I ordered a Viewsonic 21" CRT G220FB flat screen from Monarch.I spoke with a guy by the name of Micheal, did business with him before.Monarch has been pretty good as far as I'm concerned.Mike said the ultra high end LCD's are allmost as good as CRT's but in his opinion there allmost their but not quite.He says FS9 looks better on the CRT.Regards

Guest optimum

I have a Sony 21" CRT as well and will confirm that the color saturation isnt that great. I love the monitor however and have never had any problems with it at all. I also have a 17" KDS with the trinitron tube in it and feel it has a great picture. The price when I purchased the 21" was near $500 but im sure its much less now, if it can be found. My buddy was looking for one and had to buy a refurb because he couldnt find it in stock anywhere. Appears that the larger CRT's are phasing out in lieu of the larger LCDs and the decrease in response times we are seeing in the LCDs.Troy StevensUAL6210http://virtual.united.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest McFly

Buck,Good Choice! That's just what I bought after my 21" Viewsonic P815 went out. You'll never go back to a smaller screen once you use one of these babies. LCD's aren't quite there yet.Terry