Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

FSX - Default B747 (Never again!)

I just used the default B747 in FSX to pass within 0.5 degrees magnetic North while crossing over the North-pole from PANC to ULLI (St. Petersburg) for the very first time in my lengthy FS career. Very cool to now be able to travel so far North (or South). After 25 years, at least MS fixed one major issue this go-around. After nearly reaching 89.45 degrees LAT, I went from 100W to 27E in a matter of minutes and thus began my legs south.But, I must be awefully used to my PDMG QoS. I'd rather get my wisdom-teeth pulled again than use the MS 747 again. It felt totally lacking in every respect. I absolutely couldn't stand it. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk. Now I fully understand the novice will enjoy it and that I can't expect very much from an $80 box which includes everthing else needed for FS but it just about killed me.PS, this should be taken as a compliment to PMDG.Can't wait for the QoS fix for FSX. Please be sure the IRS and FMC and all, are able to go to 89.5 degrees North and South. Thanks.R/

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yes, apparently FSX finally implemented the round Earth geometry. Christopher Columbus should give them a big hug :-lolMichael J.

the default 747 is just horrible compared to the pmdg. paneles look ####, major lack of fuctionality and those that are there work totaly wrong. hehe but i guess thatis to be expected. and thats why its so nice to have a company like pmdg :)

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

The default 744 is almost an insult for people paying 80$ for this.The plane´s panel hasn´t being worked on at all. Still the same 2D panel with the same lagging gauges and a garmin GPS as the primary navigation tool. Guess they will never learn it.Thank god there is PMDG with their own replica of the 744!

He he he, I spent an hour looking for the darn fuel-management panel as I was affraid of running out of fuel in particular tanks when it dawned on me that, oh, it's not here. The other time-consuming quirk was the simple elapsed-time chronometer. In VC, it would never do anything other than sit there at 00:00. I finally realized that you have to bring up the 2D clock panel, activate ET, and then it counts foward. But, the darn thing still shows 00:00 in the VC even though it's now couning in the 2D version. That was just two of the mariad of issue during the 7 hour flight. I won't even discuss the flight-dynamics, lights, FMC, MCP, hydrolics, APU, Ctrl-E to startup, etc, etc, etc... Needless to say, it was not a pretty landing in St. Petersburg. Remember, a good landing is any landing that you can walk away from. Well, I didn't walk away, LOL.... I can't remember the last time I had a "bad" landing in the (proper) version of the Queen.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I certainly share your sentiment in terms of the Queen. No matter what I try in fs, I always come back to the glorious virtual gate-to-gate grind of heavy iron. I got the LDS767 first, then stepped up to the 744 and never looked back to 'load the gps and go' aircraft again.This is why FSX, in all it's obvious glory, is of little interest at this time - it's a huge step down for me right now. Lots to look forward to though :)regards,Markhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Guest Jeroen November

Ever since I first flew a 747 is FS (It must heve been the MS-addon to version 4 of the sim back in the '80's) nothing has changed. Well OK the sound from my soundcard is a lot better than of my PC-speaker back then, but the flight dynamics of the MS 747's are far worse then those of the average wheelchair.Best wishesJeroen

I see a great improvement, however, in the area of flight modeling, weather simulating (ever noticed how those clouds sit on their base altitude with their bottoms straightened out?) and scenery.I would not go into commenting default planes that will be re-done by other developers anyway. Other aircrafts, however, such as the glider, the ski-equipped (I can't recall ist type) or the trike, is really enjoyable.Cheers,

Oh my.. how can you not love the default B747 on MSFS? I mean all the dials and buttons and knobs are in exactly the right place... For example... I went to turn on my windscreen wiper and ended up turning on the anti-ice... I think PMDG need to update their model to reflect this innovation in MS accuracy... all this unnecessary complexity in PMDG 744 is too much for me *wipes brow*.. I'm sure it's not really like that.. IS IT!?.. heheOK.. HOLD ON.. I am kidding!! PMDG has built probably the best 744 simulation ever for a PC platform.. second probably only to a full motion jobby. As far as I am concerned FSX will sit on the shelf for a bit till PMDG release the "big bird" for it.. Some of the new effects are awsome though, I love the rain effect.. the water shimmer.. and the changing sound from different perspectives.. that's clever.. The graphics are amazing.. can't wait for the MD-11 and "Big Bird" to come about from the PMDG guys.. :) Could do without the AI airport traffic though.. annoys me so I turn that off..The B747 MSFS is PAINFUL to use.. no FMC.. no overhead.. no decent PFD.. no EICAS.. no ND... There are basically 4 switches.. ON.. OFF.. GO.. STOP... and a joystick.. I had some very VERY odd things happen with it too, the autopilot is horrible and it's actually difficult to get off once it's on! On one of the "missions" my B747 with autopilot off refused point blank to descend.. ooohhh no.. I am flying in a straight line slowing down till I stall thank you! VERY ANNOYING...OH.. and my biggest grump at FSX.. changing views!!! WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT! what happened to holding ctrl shift and enter!? #### that gets on my nerves.. ANYWAY... I set "realism" to max.. took off pretty promptly from EGLL in the MS 744 big bird.. flew almost vertically got quite high before I stalled.. powered down into a dive (my passengers would have been VERY scared.. but hey.. I know what I'm doing).. recovered.. rolled a VERY steep sharp left.. got my nose up full thrust.. and was able to land on the runway on the centre line I just took off from but in the other direction.. HMMMM me thinks she's a BIT TOO EASY to fly.. If it's really that easy.. I'm applying for Boeing next year as their test pilot for sure.. because I'm a god when it comes to that plane!!! I mean come on... even PMDG take offs are sometimes hard enough for me (due to realism of handling and the effect of the weight) let alone doing something like that!!To sum up :)... the MSFS B747 is fun for a bit.. and kind of a joke really to me now.. only one way to fly the big bird (unless you can afford Virgin Atlantic business class that is, then it's another story).. and that's..FLY PMDG! ALLLL THE WAY.. CraigPS.. looking forward to the MD-11...

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi, Just to share my personal experience. My girl friend brought me the FSX on OCT 12 as my birthday present. I was very happy and surprised. However, after I had played for 5 hrs, I gave up and back to FS2004 with PMDG 744. My girl friend asked me why and I told her that I will come back to it once the PMDG 744 FSX version has released, but she looked confused and said 'isn't the new version is better?'.... sometimes it is hard to explain flightsim issues to a non flightsimmerhahaben

Guest PittsburghII

>The default 744 is almost an insult for people paying 80$ for>this.It is nice to see that you qualify your statement with "almost". It seems to me that people here are confusing the purpose of FSX and the team that develops it: The mission of the team (I am purely guessing here) is to provide a flight simulator in generic terms -- not a close to 100% complete systems simulator. See it more as a platform on which others can build complex systems.I just get so sick and tired of people hammering down on FS (X or otherwise) for lack of complexity in stock airplanes. I don't think they are supposed to be as complex as what we have become accustomed to.Thanks,Boaz

Guest LAzerxxx

Boaz,I am inclined to agree with you. But before I got any payware a/c I was all like, "ohhhhh wow, look what I can do" like Stuart on Mad TV. But now that I have purchased a few planes(and still don't know how to fly them) I will never go back to default. I tried it and it was sickeningly BORING. But on the other hand there are some of the defaults that will still be a joy to fly, you know, like the props and sailplanes and ultralights and....well you get the drift.I think I'm going to cancel my....ehem...preorder at PC Aviator. Microsoft still hasn't sent them any copies of the deluxe version, for which they had 4100 orders themselves. Happy Flying, Hayden Lee Laffoonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130_captain.gifhttp://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/b722/727_01.JPG

>'isn't the new version is better?'.... sometimes it is hard to>explain flightsim issues to a non flightsimmer>>haha>>ben Now there's a thing? hehehe LOL

Dave Taylor gb.png