Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Unable to start the Queen from cold'n dark...!

Despite years of simming experience and a lot flying the 747-400 very successfully, I'd never actually started the Queen up from cold'n dark. So tonight I decided to give it a serious go. After 7 attempts, however, using primarily the PMDG tutorial along with two other 3rd party tutorials, I gave up in frustration (and embarassment).The main problem is that every time I establish electrical power, I seem to get a SYS FAULT light on Hyd Pump 4. Why? I don't know. Also, I get an indication that EXT PWR is AVAIL without touching anything at all. I use the PMDG Tutorial 1 file for this practice work. The initial step of turning the BATT on works but therafter it's all downhill.I have managed to turn on the APU--sort of--despite these woes but I never get an APU RUNNING annunciation in the EICAS.I can't explain much more in this initial message. I could fill a book with the stuff that's gone wrong and doesn't go right just from tonight's efforts.I am totally baffled and wonder whether there is something wrong with me, with the tutorial, or with my plane, or with my hardware. I just can't get any further without a bunch of SYS FAULT lights above my head. It's totally nuts.Can anybody suggest anything? Thanks.Jonathan

"The main problem is that every time I establish electrical power, I seem to get a SYS FAULT light on Hyd Pump 4. Why? I don't know. Also, I get an indication that EXT PWR is AVAIL without touching anything at allJon, just a few tips...The AVAIL light is there because the ground engineers have plugged a source of external power into your external power panel (right side of fuselage near the nose gear). This is an option available through your PMDG menu. Randomly, you may get two Ext Power AVAIL lights (two sources plugged into your aircraft)The AVAIL light just means that the power is available, but not selected (by you). However, before you push the Ext 1 pushbutton (to put power on the aircraft), it's advisable to switch on your battery power. This ensures that the External Power is available across the entire aircraft.The Hyd Pump 4 SYS Fault Light is illuminated because certain fault circuits are active with limited electrical power on the aircraft. Your aircraft may be far from being ready, and there should be many fault lights illuminated, but because the fault circuitry is not yet active, you don't get a full Christmas Tree of fault lights.Once the battery has been selected on, there should be nothing stopping you starting the APU (You don't even need external power to start the APU... you can start it with the battery). I assume here that your battery is not flat? :( Don't forget to put the Stby Power switch in AUTO. You need this to view the Captain's screens. I assume you have put the APU switch (briefly) to START, then released the switch to ON?With the APU running, you can select BOTH APU generators online (wait for the AVAIL lights to illuminate before attempting to push the buttons on your overhead panel). Your aircraft should now be powered by APU power alone (however, the Ext1 AVAIL light should still be illuminated... should you need to switch back to external power. With full power on the ship, you'll get the Christmas Tree you are expecting.If the above procedure fails, then it looks like you have a setup/system problem... I'll hand you over to the PMDG experts for further advice ;)Cheers.Q>(Edit) Perhaps you can post a pic of your overhead panel to help us out here?

Q:Thanks for your post. I shall review all my setup accordingly and try to understand your detailed post. Much appreciated meantime!Jonathan

Hi, again, Q:Well, I read your reply properly and it all worked accordingly. I am in the midst of a startup now using the checklists of the small PMDG manual from the CD-ROM.I managed to turn on the APU but still did not see any upper EICAS indication that saying APU RUNNING although I saw the EGT reach 585 in the EICAS STAT panel and the N1 is either 100 or 99. I hear the fans whirring and the EXT 1 pwr light is still illuminated.I aligned the IRS as well and after getting the 7 min time indicator, input the POS INIT as KBFI (where I am located) and it "took" the position after asking for a second confirmation with the appropriate LSK R key.The overhead electrical panel is lit up with various fault lights and also I think 6 or 7 of the fuel buttons on the overhead center panel say PRESS as well. IS this normal as I plough through the check lists?Strangely, I observed that the CONT IGN had been pressed in (which I did last night) and was still pressed in when I loaded this PMDG Tutorial 1 situation. Also an engine start button had been pulled out (I think ENG 3) and had indicated an EGT of 7 on the upper EICAS; so I "re-stowed" the engine button accordingly.Does this sound normal so far?Should I get an EICAS panel indication of the APU running? Thanks again.Jonathan

Jonathan,on the STAT page on the EICAS you see all the information regarding the APU when spooling up and running. What I usually do is when I have battery on, I switch the ND to show the EICAS page and choose the STAT page. Once you start the APU it goes black but it returns after a few seconds showing the status.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

"Should I get an EICAS panel indication of the APU running?"You should... I assume you have the latest updates of the sim? "The overhead electrical panel is lit up with various fault lights and also I think 6 or 7 of the fuel buttons on the overhead center panel say PRESS as well. IS this normal as I plough through the check lists?"Sounds fairly normal, depending, of course, on what switches you have already pushed. However, with a fully operational ship (in flight), the overhead panel should be virtually black."Strangely, I observed that the CONT IGN had been pressed in (which I did last night) and was still pressed in when I loaded this PMDG Tutorial 1 situation. Also an engine start button had been pulled out (I think ENG 3) and had indicated an EGT of 7 on the upper EICAS; so I "re-stowed" the engine button accordingly."Not sure why your switches are being placed in random positions. I believe there is a 3rd party add-on program which does this to keep you on your toes. There are also some 3rd party products which share common keystrokes with PMDG, so these may be accidentally operating some of the switches.Anyway, good luck with the tutorial. :)Cheers.Q>

Yes, I have all the updates. Plus FSUIPC registered -- and "magic" battery with it (!)OK, well, I made some further progress. The APU RUNNING did show up on the EICAS, but only after I started 1 engine. By which time I was ready to turn it off !Noted your comment on random switches and programs. Prolly correct.It's quite an affair starting The Queen up. Thanks again for the posts.Jonathan

Yes, I understand, thanks, Kirsten. I am training myself to do that too. It is coming together now, finally, in stages.Jonathan

Sorry, KRISTER, excuse the mis-spelling!Jonathan

>OK, well, I made some further progress. The APU RUNNING did>show up on the EICAS, but only after I started 1 engine. By>which time I was ready to turn it off !I think that's because it was actually on the next (or next-next) "page" of EICAS messages. When you start the engine a bunch of the messages clear, which moves everything below up, probably explaining why you saw it then... There's a way to scroll the messages, but I don't remember how off the top of my head.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan:I had no idea the EICAS actually SCROLLS ! That is neat--if we can figure out how to actually do it...!Jonathan

I don't know how to "scroll", but if you push the "cancel"-button (one or more times) on the EICAS all caution-messages will dissapear and only the white messages are visible (including "APU RUNNING").Press "recall"-button on the EICAS to pop up the caution-messages again.

Thanks, William!Jonathan

If the APU bleeed is on? The engines should start with packs off.

Dave Taylor gb.png

It should start with only Packs 2 and 3 off, if you follow the checklist you can leave pack 1 on.I have started mine with 2 and 3 on but on other occasions it would not. I cannot recall which other switches apart from trim air was on at the time though and I would think that this would make the difference.FRED