Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pan pan pan

Step climbs and co-pilot

Hi folks,I have the excellent 747 for fs9.For the long distance flights i like to get the aircraft airborne, then head off to bed, wake up and land.Now my question is, is there a program that will allow me to do the above, but have a co-pilot complete step climbs whilst im getting my beauty sleep?I do use Radar Contact 4 so would like a program to interact with RC4, and im pretty sure RC4's co-pilot is a lazy bugger, and will not do it.Does FS2 Crew do the above?Andy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Andy,I woudl venture down a couple of stairs and ask the question in the FS2Crew forum.Hope it helps,

Please can I add another question on this topic.....If I am at say FL330 and have a VNAV step climb set up in the FMC to say FL370 a thousasnd miles or so down the track AND I then set the MCP altitude window to FL370, the aircraft will not initiate the step climb automatically (while I too am in bed :-) ). Is it correct that the crew have to press the MCP ALT activate button to effect the step climb or am I missing something. Why does VNAV not automatically fly the step climb profile if the new altitude is preset into the MCP?GregH

Greg,The operation of the MCP & each & every subtle attribute of the MCP/AFDS/FMC are clearly described in the AoM that came with the product. It's well-worth a close read.The FMC is capable of calculating the optimum step climb profile for any given route provided it is provided with the correct data. It is up to the pilot to physically interact with the MCP/AFDS/FMC in order to keep the aircraft physically on this profile. You are correct...at the given Step Climb point the pilot must dial the new ALT into the ALT window on the MCP...he then has several options available to get the aircraft to the next ALT...if LNAV is engagaged one press of the ALT Knob will place the new CRZ ALT into the FMC VNAV CRZ page & 'cruise climb' the aircraft to the new altitude...with the associated FMA announciations of THR REF & VNAV SPD within the FMA Thrust & Pitch windows at the top of the PFD...the Thrust Levers will simultaneously advance to the maximum setting governed by the THR MODE at the top of the primary EICAS display...the aircraft will pitch up & climb to the new ALT at the commanded SPD using the elevators to control the pitch.At higher step climb values (when most of the fuel has been burnt)this manoevure can result in the aircraft 'charging' to the next ALT.Other alternatives include careful use of the V/S mode of the autopilot...I say carefull as I am sure there is no SPD protection available when using V/S...Carefull monitoring of the commanded speed is required & I would suggest no more than 500 fpm when using this method. This technique will result in a more gentle climb resulting in less wear & tear on the engines & IMHO provides more passenger comfort.So the only option available to you (providing you're doing this offline?) is to set your alarm for the next step climb point & the point where you will place the fuel system into 'Tank to Engine'...or keep it real & stay awake for your long-hauls.Kind RegardsSteve Bell

I think there is a programme out there called "FS whybotheratall" i believe it turns on your pc starts fs takes off, flies the plane lands pulls up to the gate exits fs and shuts down the pc. You dont even need to be awake for the whole thing or even in ha ha ha :D just messing could not resistFS2CREW does not do the automatic step climb by the way but it does do the tank to engine procedure which is helpfull if you like to leave things running and do other stuffkav

What I used to do was set my alarm for the next step climb, walk down stairs, perform the step climb, see when then next step is and reset my alarm and go back to bed. Now I just fly during the day so I'm awake for the whole flight.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

You can do this. I'm not sure (and it probably isn't) if it's an accepted procedure, but it should get the job done.Say you have a step climb 500 miles from where you are. You can do the following.1. Keep your MCP alt at current altitude.2. Set FMC to your desired final altitude.3. Set the legs in your flightplan from your current position to the point of your planned step climb to your current altitude.4. If you have subsequent step climbs set the next waypoint to that climb altitude to the distance of the next step climb. repeat the process until at final altitude.Note: This works for the first step, but you'll have to estimate or preplan your subsequent steps, as you won't be awake for the FMC to tell you when it is.5. Reset your Altitude on the MCP to your final cruise altitude, ensuring VNAV hasn't disengaged. If it has, just reengage it. Yje aircraft should maintain current altitude til the waypoint you specified the first step then climb to that altitude, and repeat until final cruise altitude.A couple of issues though. One, can you put RC4 a sleep until you get up, like you can with default atc by not tuning to the next frequency? And also you won't be able to handle the fuel pumps when you are asleep.