Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Qantas again....

"The plane is believed to have suddenly plunged from 30,000 feet to 10,000 feet."Umm, yes, which the pilots would have COMMANDED it to do, as is standard procedure for an explosive decompression.Does it ever make you wonder what else the news media gets totally wrong if they're always this wrong and misleading about aircraft stories?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>Does it ever make you wonder what else the news media gets>totally wrong if they're always this wrong and misleading>about aircraft stories?Oh a lot I reckon, but as we're probably not 'experts' (as the news media would describe it) in much except aviation I imagine we're all believing a lot of other lies that we read!But the public sense of morbidity loves nothing more than the notion of 300 tonnes of burning aircraft plummeting from the sky, it makes for good headlines and thus good sales. Pity the actual event hardly ever happens and when it does it rarely has dramatic soundbites from breathless passengers to run with. To be fair I imagine the people interviewed WERE a little scared in the moments after they landed, and fair enough too, but they aren't going to make for good, rational witnesses when they get ambushed by a reporter seconds after they walk off the plane.I recently heard an RTO described by a reputable news programme as being a 'disaster'. In that case I just had a 'disasterous encounter with a red light' earlier this evening. The fact that - in reality - I simply decided not to run a yellow light just doesn't sound as exciting!(On this topic: Am I the only one who sometimes thinks to myself 'V1' when approaching a traffic light that goes to orange and I decide to go for it? No-one? That's just me is it? Ah I see...)(Edit: Spelling)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

(On this topic: Am I the only one who sometimes thinks to>myself 'V1' when approaching a traffic light that goes to>orange and I decide to run it? No-one? That's just me is it?>Ah I see...)Mark,I hate to go off topic but I couldn't resist, let me tell you this, I don't callout "V1" in my head at traffic lights, but I do feel like I'm turning on the strobes and landing lights when I turn on my headlights. Just the "click" sound makes me think of it:DI guess I'll soon be saying "Starting Engine Number 1" when turning the ignition, "Packs On" when turning on the A/C, even "Taxi Checklist Please" to a friend sitting in the passenger seat... :-xxrotflmao *:-*

Expect your friend to politely say that they might walk instead today. :-)Remember, we won't judge you, others will: "the first rule of flightsim club is that you don't talk about flightsim club". ;-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN

I think this is much more rational journalism: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7525597.stm"The drop would doubtless have felt dramatic and terrifying to passengers, but was a controlled manoeuvre and in accordance with normal procedures for sudden cabin depressurisation."

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>"The plane is believed to have suddenly plunged from 30,000>feet to 10,000 feet.">>Umm, yes, which the pilots would have COMMANDED it to do, as>is standard procedure for an explosive decompression.>>Does it ever make you wonder what else the news media gets>totally wrong if they're always this wrong and misleading>about aircraft stories?Don't ever completely trust the media ;) Some people know this but theres still surprisingly lot of people who take what media says as granted and total fact.

Hi,I find it interesting that you have not more to say about this very serious incident. I think that the pax and crew were extremely lucky. If you look at the size of the hole, everything could have happened. With a structural damage of that dimension I

>> Does it ever make you wonder what else the news media gets>> totally wrong if they're always this wrong and misleading>> about aircraft stories?Frequently...Someone said that: "The news is only truth unless you happen to know about the subject, then it's usually a lie".>> (On this topic: Am I the only one who sometimes thinks to myself >> 'V1' when approaching a traffic light that goes to orange and I >> decide to go for it? No-one? That's just me is it? Ah I see...)I work on GO/NO GO, but same idea. :DBest regards,Robin.

Ingo if it was a single deck aircraft I would agree with you (take the turkish DC10 accident out of of paris for example) If you look at the pictures it's mainly the skin thats damaged, part of the lower deck floor may have collapsed but most of the essential lines run over the passengers heads not under.Rob

Rob Prest

>(On this topic: Am I the only one who sometimes thinks to>>myself 'V1' when approaching a traffic light that goes to>>orange and I decide to run it? No-one? That's just me is it?>>Ah I see...)>>Mark,>>I hate to go off topic but I couldn't resist, let me tell you>this, I don't callout "V1" in my head at traffic lights, but I>do feel like I'm turning on the strobes and landing lights>when I turn on my headlights. Just the "click" sound makes me>think of it:D>>I guess I'll soon be saying "Starting Engine Number 1" when>turning the ignition, "Packs On" when turning on the A/C, even>"Taxi Checklist Please" to a friend sitting in the passenger>seat... :-xxrotflmao *:-* And dont forget about the approach checklist when youre pulling up to your driveway :-doh.

>Hi,>>I find it interesting that you have not more to say about this>very serious incident. I think that the pax and crew were>extremely lucky. If you look at the size of the hole,>everything could have happened. With a structural damage of>that dimension I

Mark Adeane - NZWN

"With a structural damage of that dimension I

Q: That was an amazing picture.Don't forget the WWII Boeing B-17s landing with extensive damage. Hard to recall an incident with a Boeing that went bad due to inadequate fail-tolerant design.

Dan Downs KCRP

Here's a United 747 with an even BIGGER hole caused by a cargo door separation from the aircraft while in flight. This 747 landed safely although several sections of seats were pulled out of the aircraft in flight during the explosive decompression, unfortunately, with the resulting deaths of several passengers.http://www.montereypeninsulaairport.com/Page2.htmlThe news is always doing sensational reporting. It gets them the ratings they crave, but not always the truth of the story. In reality, the damage to the Qantas 747 didn't look like it was enough to cause any structural compromise and the pilots probably had full control, just the sort of abnormal situation they train for. But it gets the ratings up to hype it as doom and fear, blood and guts. Kim