Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

06SEP08 PMDG MD-11 Progress Update

Go here:http://flightaware.com/Click on "Live Tracking" in upper left menu. On next page you can search for flights using an "Aircraft Type" option. It will show you all real-world flights currently in the air by aircraft type (you can also search using other criteria, such as airline, etc).MD-11 will go a LONG ways. You may also want to register at the site. It's free, and it will give you a much longer list of flights than a non-registered user will get. I get many of my real-world flight plans by using this site. They are easy to cut/paste into a third-party flight planner like FSC or FS Build.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

>Anybody know the range of the MD-11? For example, could we>fly non-stop from Los Angeles to Heathrow, or Sydney to Hong>Kong? Which aircraft does it compare closest to in that regard>(eg B767, A330, etc)?MD-11 - Max cruising speed 945km/h (510kt), economical cruising speed 876km/h (473kt). Range with 298 passengers and reserves 12,633km (6821nm). MD-11F - Range 7242km (3910nm). MD-11C - Range with 183 passengers, six freight pallets and reserves 12,392km (6691nm). MD-11ER - Range with 298 passengers 13,408km (7240nm).RegardsSchmid

>Anybody know the range of the MD-11? For example, could we>fly non-stop from Los Angeles to Heathrow, or Sydney to Hong>Kong? Which aircraft does it compare closest to in that regard>(eg B767, A330, etc)?The MD-11's range is similar to that of a B767 or A330 yes I think that's fair to say.MD-11's have good range as posted by Schmid above. You could do those flights from LAX to EGLL or also Sydney to HKG if you wanted.I've heard of MD-11F's doing cargo flights of more than 3900 nm, so it's possible that they trade range for fuel, etc. for that variant, which is what a DC-10-30 can do, too. Fedex uses MD-11F's for trans oceanic flights.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>> MD-11 - Range with 298 passengers and reserves 12,633km (6821nm).Whoa...... I didn't realize it could fly that far! I had it down for around 4500 nm.Best regards,Robin.

Guest Mower

Long range of the MD11 is all well but then why are they mainly used as freighters now then?

The cargo varient will get much less range than the passenger version. Cargo compartments are packed to the gills...you don't have "space" between passengers, rows between the seats, etc. The cargo containers are full and take up all the available space. With a fully loaded 11F, range is going to be much less than a passenger version.There are other variables also, like mentioned above. Full cargo load equals fuel tradeoffs. Users like FedEx use a "hub" system to distribute word-wide cargo loads. Cargo going from their home hub in Memphis or Indianapolis to the Far East will normally fly to Anchorage first, then be reloaded on separate aircraft for destinations in Japan, China, etc. There is rarely a need to go "direct" from someplace like Memphis all the way to China non-stop.

Rick Ryan

>Long range of the MD11 is all well but then why are they>mainly used as freighters now then?Because on the PAX side there's the B777 which is doing this slightly better (and has a aircraft family around it), and on the cargo side there is nothing out there capable of the same uplift as the MD-11 is... except the new B777-200LRF which is entering into service very soon. So they still want every available MD-11 to convert to a freighter, a good alternative to a shiny new B777F which would be a lot more expensive to get.Markus

Markus Burkhard

>The MD-11's range is similar to that of a B767 or A330 yes I>think that's fair to say.Not quite, the MD-11 is more capable than that. It's best compared to the A343 but with a lot more cargo capacity along the similar amount of passengers.Markus

Markus Burkhard

>Hi,> I would still like to know if route off-set capability will>be modeled into the FMS?Yes it is, and crosschecked in the real MD-11 simulator.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest XM DUDE

>Wow great news PMDG. It won't be released in time for my>birthday but not to worry. >>Like someone above said is this a timescale for the FSX>version? I'm not looking for a release date but it looks like>the MD11 could well be released before the end September/early>Oct if all goes ok with the final testing. If this is so could>you give us any indication of roughly how far behind the FS9>version will be? I have a pretty powerful laptop but it won't>run FSX so that version is of little use to me.>>Any indication of price for the manuals? I hate reading>manuals on a computer screen but I think the printed manuals>will be way too expensie for me.>>Andy SI too have a powerful laptop, but it dosen't handle FSX well. I was afraid that the FS9 pilots would be forgotten with the MD-11, but I am happy there will be a FS 9 version, as this aircraft is near and dear to me, I worked on it when I worked at Douglas. I worked on the flight control system and landing gear.

Guest XM DUDE

>Hi Robert,>>I just have one question regarding the MD-11. I find the>Boeing 747-400 from PMDG quite easy to fly, generally>speaking. I was wondering if someone from PMDG could tell me>if the MD-11 is any more or less difficult to fly/control than>the B747-400?>>Regards,During my Douglas days, I got some sim time in the MD-11 sim and if this sim fly like the MD-11 full motion level D sim I flew during my Douglas days, then it is easy to fly when all the stuff works. The challenge is learning all the systems. I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Guest pilot-joey

This is going to be a thriller, hopefully it will be out before my birthday (2nd of October!).