Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

Guest ShaneRay

Thanks, Konrad...appreciate that :)

The MD-11 is certainly putting more strain on the RAM than other add-ons: I have established this by using the Sysinternals tool mentioned by Sam in an earlier post. The problem - disappearing textures - always starts when Peak Working Set and/or Peak Private Bytes reach above about 1,750,000; and by the time they reach about 1,900,000, I can be sure a crash is just around the corner.However, in my case, I seem to have been able to work around the problem (touch wood) by adding this entry to my FSX.CFG file, as follows:[bufferPools]PoolSize=10000000Previously, I had it set to a much lower figure. Presumably, therefore, on my PC the problem was not simply RAM, but the relationship between system RAM and the video RAM.I hope this might help others - but it seems equally possible that the OOM errors reported by others are entirely due to problems with system RAM.Tim

Yes, you have to add it. This forum doesn't display square brackets for some reason. Using "*" as an opening square bracket and "**" as a closing square bracket, the new entry should look like this:*Bufferpools**Poolsize=10000000I have added it to the end of my file.Doing a quick Google shows that PMDG do in fact recommend use of the Bufferpools setting: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_FPS_GuideTim

My Bufferpools fix doesn't work after all. I think my earlier success must have been because my test flights were in relatively cloud-free skies. With today's more overcast conditions - ie, presumably, more graphically and memory demanding - the problem has recurred.In case it helps anyone from PMDG who might be looking at this problem, here is what I observed with sysinternals on two successive flights with complete system re-boots between each one, from EGCC to EGLL (the Aerosoft Heathrow 2008X) with virtually identical weather (and at the identical times of day and other settings):Level-D 767X:Peak Working Set: 1,706,476kPeak Private Bytes: 1,767,496kPMDG MD-11:Peak Working Set: 1,901,876kPeak Private Bytes: 1,974,788kSo far as I can tell, the problems start kicking in once the Peak Working Set crosses about 1,800,000: starting with disappearing external textures, then internal textures, then screen corruption, then black screen - but with FSX still "running" and well-enough under control to enable me to exit in orderly fashion.It might be that the combination of the MD-11 with the Aerosoft scenery is just too much for FSX to handle. Maybe: but I can't help thinking that this is a bit unlikely.Tim

Guest D17S

For those with 32bit/3G switched op systems and (only) 2Gs of physical ram, those users can - Still - expect problems at high sliders settings. Even though it was an annoyance, the 2G OOM limit was acting as a fail-safe. As we know, VS runs considerably above physical memory load. When those non-3G switched systems OOM'd, they were still loaded Way below their 2G physical ram limit. With the 3G switch installed, these systems can now load physical ram to a level the op system will determine. The op system will now allow physical ram loading to a level that - Just - allows the operating system enough room to run. Essentially, the user just traded a VS "stop" (OOM event) for a physical ram limit stop (fragged textures). Hi horsepower system that can run high slider settings will be especially vulnerable to this dynamic. At this point in software development, only systems with 2Gs of physical ram are most vulnerable. However it won't be long before software capabilities and hardware capacities are robust enough to max out even a system with 4Gs of physical ram. Thankfully, 32bit op systems will still have that 4G VS failsafe stop and OOM before ram loads become critical. Remember, I was able to OOM a 64bit system at 4Gs VS and my ram load was "only" 3.2Gs. It won't be long. Additionally, never hard-set the page-file/swap-file/virtual memory/whatever-ya-want-to-call-it. Always let Windows "system manage" this function. We've got enough to watch. Let Otto handle this one.

The problem is I have 4gb and vista 64, and I don't know what to do, I will try the buffer thing.

Steven,Consider saving the flight every 2 or so hours. Perhaps once mid atlantic or just before the TD would be enough - no idea on this. Exit FS, restart the rig, brew some coffee and jump back in.Have also seen it mentioned somewhere that switching from full screen to windowed back to full screen mode may help?Sure neither is a fix, just a way to live with it for now...Konrad

Konrad

>In testing, I found the MD was sensitive to extremely high>system loads. With my irrational settings (and the resulting>3FPS performance) weird things happened. I expect that also,>if it is asked to operate within an irrationally tight>hardware choral, its tune might also run a bit off key. >>Actually, the MD might be considered a new benchmark for>system stability. So the claim that the MD was better on the system than the 744 were false then? Lots of people cannot run the 744 within FS9 due to OOM at 3rd party sceneries. So what your saying now is that the MD is even worse than the 744...thanks...you saved me some money.

Eric 

Absolutley ridiculous to have to shut down FS halfway through a flight just to prevent it from crashing with a addon aircraft...sorry..I imagine its a great plane but to have that kind of work around to use it...no thanks.

Eric 

Guest aarskringspier

Apparently you dont realise, or have no concept of how the error works? It has nothing what so ever to do with the MD-11, its a limitation of Flight Simulator. You can read Phil Taylors blog about it, all though that would take effort away from bashing PMDG. There are ways around it but again that takes effort to do.

You missed the point completely. I know what causes the OOM. I also know the PMDG 744 and now apparently the -11 are the most notorious for having OOM on a variety of systems when compared to the LVLD stuff for instance. I was hoping the -11 would be better than the 744 because I really wanted to get it...but the gist I get from reading these reports...it is worse on a system. Oh well.

Eric 

Guest D17S

@ Steven, Back-off all hardware setting to default (for now). Make sure you have a clean install of SP2. Don't mod the SP2's FSX.exe file. It's already "modded". Do not mod your 64bit op system with any 3G switches. 64bit op systems are already 4G-enabled. The OOMs will stop. Reset page file to "system managed." Use reasonable FSX setting. Do not use setting that cause frame rates to run below ~ 15FPS. If the program still CTD, there's a conflict within FSX. To start, begin backing out scenery addons. The pool size tweak might help, but only for a system that is already on the edge of stability. Don't be there. A stable running system beats 10 minutes of (unstable) glory with that additional 3 FPS. You also chance destroying your system. It's happened before by means of this uber-tweaking strategy. Also don't be shy about dropping PMDG support a line. They're some pretty good folks.

So I guess I should do a full clean install. My hardware has gone through anything- the strongest programs, i just dont see how my hardware has caused this. I do not think it is hardware. I bet if I do a clean install of fsx everything will be fine. I am starting to have scenery conflictions i.e. the water by seattle is now a forest.EDIT: Does Pmdg have any comments on this.

Hi StevenAre you using FTX (the Australian scenery) by any chance? If so you have to actually turn it off once you have finished flying in their area. This will solve your savannah where the ocean should be problem in the USA. Not sure if this is an issue across all the FTX sectors (gold, blue etc) or if only related to their Tasmania demo.Furthermore do you own UTX Europe? If so did you perhaps install the beta patch for it in the last 2 or so weeks? Again if you did then I recommend totally uninstalling UTX Europe and re-installing without the beta patch. I had pretty serious issues with LOD Radius (very blurry in the distance), all sorts of funny white blocks in various areas, and a significantly increased load time (stuck at 6% for what seemed an aweful long time). Things just went all to ####.These are both issues I personally had on my system recently.If none of the above applies then find your fsx.cfg file, make a back up!!!! (called fsx backup.cfg for example) and then DELETE the original. Start FSX and it will rebuild the file. You will have to tell it to use all your plugins etc but it may well also clear up any latent issues hiding in there.Only after all that would I consider a full FSX re-install (what a mission!!!)-Eric: You need to chill man! So what if you end up having to save your MD-11 long haul flight and restart the sim once or even twice? If this gives you an otherwise smooth experience and allows you to complete the flight then so be it. Life is too short! Sure, let PMDG know about the issue (as many have) and remind them about if need be. But, it may well be the case that no satisfactory solution will ever be found to what is largely a 'current gen' hardware and OS related issue.Konrad

Konrad