Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

Guest 91101

I've been getting the same issue as well. I have also already excluded the FSX directory from virus software scanning, too.BrandonCore 2 Quad 9550; 6 GB RAM; Vista 64-bit; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Steven - I get similar problems at EGLL whether or not I'm using the add-on Heathrow scenery; also at EDDF; but I'll try in a couple of less demanding airports and see what happens. Otherewise I'm resigned to giving the MD-11 a break for now and doing a complete reinstall when I have more time.Tim

This might be a stpid question, but when I get an OOM, is it because of the lack of RAM or Video memory?I currently have the system:Windoes Vista 32bit.Asus P5EIntel core 2 Duo E6850 3ghz with the Thermalright extreeme 120 cooler3x1024 CL5 1066mhz Crucial ram (I cant get my system to work with the 4th stick :( )Sapphire 3870 videocard.Thermaltake toughpower 750WSamsung 226W 22" LSD screen. Will an upgrade to the Sapphire 4870 card solve my OOM problem?And / or should I go back to XP?I get the OOM's at Aerosoft Budapest and frankfurt, Default Heathrow and JFK.I have FSX with SP1 + SP2 installed.

Guest D17S

OOMs occur because of an obscure function in the operating system that keeps a running talley of forecast ram loads. When that forecast goes beyond a certain level (beyond a 2, 3 or 4 G threshold), bammmm, OOM. It is NoT about any physical ram amount installed anywhere, V or main.Your OOMs are most likely occurring because the 3G switch is not set in your operating system. Get that set, and you'll be set. It's not a video card issue, nor is it an XP v Vista issue.

@SAM,could you please explain, how to set the 3G Switch at Vista64? Can't find at google regarding 64Bit OS.Thank youChris

Best regards

Chris Schnaedelbach
CEO / President of Cyber Air Virtual Airlines  (established since 1994)
Intel I7-4790 with 8GB DDR3-1600 Ram; GeForce GTX 970 with 4 GB RAM; Win10 64Bit Home Edition; P3Dv3 and also FSX Acceleration Pack German Version;

>@SAM,>>could you please explain, how to set the 3G Switch at Vista64?>Can't find at google regarding 64Bit OS.>>Thank you>>ChrisChris no need to set the switch to 3gb on 64 bit O/S, because that's the advantage of the 64 bit system which will and a can use more memory as 3 gb ;-)This one is related to the MD11 software and there is definitely a bug here...Going to log the memory leak with my own dev tools ;-)Nothing related to hardware here that's for sure.Looks like the common factor here is Vista ;-)I disagree here with Sam.@PMDG is there a debug option build in to collect data when flying?http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Guest Knikolaes

Please forgive my ignorance. I find this post fascinating and want to get the MD-11. However before i even bother with it, i want to make sure I do not encounter these OOM issues - especilly as tight as my budget is and with my low end system.I have seen "relax memory settings" above. How do I do this? Is there a utility out there that helps to do this? Or is it just a command line in the CMD screen? Or is it BIOS related?I am currently running FSX on my Vista 32 bit OS due to many add-ons not playing well with Vista 64.

Sorry about that: "relaxing" the memory settings is what you do to make your PC's RAM work less quickly. If you fine-tune or overclock your PC by changing settings in the BIOS (or with a software tool called "Memset"), you can sometimes get the RAM to work more quickly than if you use the "default" settings. Some people don't think it makes much difference. But personally I find it helps with FSX: it makes a subtle difference and one that's difficult to quantify but on my PC, it gives better overall fluidity and snappier texture-loading. "Relaxing" the memory settings just involves un-doing some of the fine-tuning to slow things back down again.I relaxed the RAM settings on my PC thinking that maybe I had over-done it. I hoped that it would solve the PMDG OOM problems. It did seem to make a difference and for a while I thought I'd solved it. But unfortunately it has not proved to be a solution (in my case). And I see that others are finding similar results.It is particularly interesting that Andre Folkers has ruled out hardware settings as the source of the problem, because while I am a complete amateur he actually knows what he's talking about. Sadly, it looks increasingly likely that there is a "memory leak" or some other problem with the PMDG models.Tim

I havent been able to find a guide in how to set the 3G switch in Vista 32bit.- Philip

Courtesy of NickN's guide on Simviation:WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT ONLY:1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt"2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator".3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish)bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560and press enter4. RebootTO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type:bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048Hit enter and rebootMake sure you have the VISTA updates from Windows Update installed that address out of memory errors too.All the bestKonrad

Konrad

Please forgive my ignorance. I find this post fascinating and want to get the MD-11. However before i even bother with it, i want to make sure I do not encounter these OOM issues - especilly as tight as my budget is and with my low end system.I have seen "relax memory settings" above. How do I do this? Is there a utility out there that helps to do this? Or is it just a command line in the CMD screen? Or is it BIOS related?I am currently running FSX on my Vista 32 bit OS due to many add-ons not playing well with Vista 64.ChrisMy piece of junk, low-end, newbie machine:ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790 FXAMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2 GHz8 GB OCZ DDR2 EEC Memory4x HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video CardsTriple OS: XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 32, Vista Ultimate 64Hahaha. You call that a low end machine. 4 4870x2- thats like 6 teraflops of graphics power. 8gb of memory- wow I only have 4. The only thing that makes your system slow is that processor. You need to get on the new quads. I.E. intel q9400 with an x48 board ($500) or the top phenom. You have a computer with the most graphics processing power i have ever seen, but your cpu power is greatly lacking for your hardware- a way big bottleneck. I bet the md-11 can run on your sys. just fine with vista64

Guest D17S

I'm a bit curious the memory leak premise. A "memory leak" suggests that ram is being loaded with spurious data that is not really needed by the program to run. This would cause ram loads to be higher than necessary. If this were the case, it surely should be prevented. However if a user has adequate ram physical on-board, this would not necessarily cause a problem. With my high-slider setup, I always run above a 2G physical ram-load level. VS often is above 3G. I have kept on running with physical ram loads of 3.3G+ until my Vista 64 op system OOM'd at +4G/VS. High physical ram loads are simply normal ops for big programs these days. Additionally, OOMs are not caused by physical ram loads (V or main) under any circumstances. How then, is a memory leak going to cause a problem? Are GBs of physical ram loading, out of control? What's "leaking?" Physical or VS? It doesn't really take any special tools to see this. Task manager can monitor physical ram loads and Process Explorer can monitor VS.However a counter argument is also clear. If Prime crashes one's system, it is most certainly a software issue.

Guest Knikolaes

>> >>Please forgive my ignorance. I find this post fascinating and>want to get the MD-11. However before i even bother with it, i>want to make sure I do not encounter these OOM issues ->especilly as tight as my budget is and with my low end>system.>>I have seen "relax memory settings" above. How do I do this?>Is there a utility out there that helps to do this? Or is it>just a command line in the CMD screen? Or is it BIOS related?>>I am currently running FSX on my Vista 32 bit OS due to many>add-ons not playing well with Vista 64.>>Chris>>My piece of junk, low-end, newbie machine:>ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790 FX>AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2 GHz>8 GB OCZ DDR2 EEC Memory>4x HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 HDCP Ready>CrossFire Supported Video Cards>Triple OS: XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 32, Vista Ultimate 64>>>>>>>>Hahaha. You call that a low end machine. 4 4870x2- thats like>6 teraflops of graphics power. 8gb of memory- wow I only have>4. The only thing that makes your system slow is that>processor. You need to get on the new quads. I.E. intel q9400>with an x48 board ($500) or the top phenom. You have a>computer with the most graphics processing power i have ever>seen, but your cpu power is greatly lacking for your hardware->a way big bottleneck. I bet the md-11 can run on your sys.>just fine with vista64LOL Would you believe even with that setup, and with the ability to run EVERY DX 10 game on the market at max sliders and FPS in the hundreds, that FSX with SP2 and Acceleration and some add-ons installed STILL brings it to its knees?You definitely don't want to see the specs I want to build based on an Alienware configuration I have been drooling over. I am also going to eventually add triple-head-2-go and possibly some go-flight modules.I do agree with you on the processor though. I may also, despite my hard dedication and loyalty to AMD, give Intel a chance as they actually seem to be passing AMD up on processors now. At least that's the prime talk where I work at my flight school (my work study has me in the IT department, which is why I was embarrassed to admit I didn't know about "relaxing RAM" but didn't want to wait until tomorrow to ask the guys at work).I am going to give the MD-11 a go on my rig and if i have the OOM error I'll try the stuff in this thread. Everything makes perfect sense as far as 32 bit OS limitations and the FSX EXE file as well. I have also read on other various forums where folks that have had SP2 installed and encountered OOM errors were able to fix it by STILL applying the patch for FSX -- even though SP2 apparently is supposed to fix that issue. This is just food for thought. No one has reported the patch messing anything up but all reports have stated something about smoother running of FSX and better memory management, so you may as well try it. Just a note of common sense though . . . back up your EXE file before doing this just in case.<<<<>>>> --Corrections to spelling -- I can fly but I sure as hec can't type.

I also don't think it's a memory leak. Though there is something that takes away valuable (essential) video resources. From my own experience and Tim's, i think Andre is right, it's also not hardware related. And i think it's not the MD11 model causing that either. The model is just fine. I've done some testflights on 2 different routes. Both flights i flew again only this time without the FMC programmed. Conditions were the same, scenery add-ons, ASX weather add-on, weather, time o day and PFE atc add-on. With a programmed FMC, somewhere in the flight aircraft/vc/scenery parts started to dissapear, resulting in a black screen when switching to windowed mode (sim still running). Now i did the same flights, this time using the FS GPS (only IRS aligned and ILS freq for the approach on NAV/RAD page were inserted in the FMC). Nothing else! Flew the exact same route/alt on manual AP. Only this time NO video abnormalities. And i really tried hard. Switching views over and over. From full screen to windowed and back, multiple times. Flightsim in the taskbar, starting other apps and back to FS. I couldn't get the problem repeat itself. The MD11 flew very smooth, textures were visible immediately upon a view switch. And while the FS Dreamteam LSZH scenery was almost completely gone when i arrived there on FMC, without the FMC no problems whatsoever. Better, smoother framerates even at this demanding scenery without noticable texture delay upon view switch. To conlude: PMDG should dive into the FMS system, that's where the problem originates. Regards, Gerrit