Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Comparisons

Thanks Word Not Allowed- I'm probably going to get jumped on for this- but I don't see any differences!!Alex Reid

>I'm entitled to express my opinion as customer as you do?Yes you are ..but as you do I must express mine to let the developers know they have support for FS9.>Nope there are boundaries in the 3d model of FS9 ;-) that's a>fact... But that does not stop modellers from making ... erm dodgy models in FS9 or FSX.>Anyway let's help each other to get the most out our beloved>hobby FS9 or FSX...Nope you help with FSX ...I'll help with FS9 :-hah>Lol learning new tools as we speak and to contributed to our>community in the future and hoping to push the envelope for>myself again...Errr.. I just wanna go flying! :-lol>Man next time your at visiting EHAM just call taking my camera>with me :-) should be fun only they closed some great spotting>places :(I had a great time spotting with Hennerz the last time I went. :)>Can't wait for your new stunning movies the last one was great>:9...Thankyou, there is lots of room for improvement... and I hope to do so....in FS9 of course. :-outta>I'm glad that I enjoy both and certainly will visit FS9>because there is coming a certain airbus for FS9 which I can't>resist lol Airsimmers'? :-hah>

>Yes you are ..but as you do I must express mine to let the>developers know they have support for FS9.I truly hope for a long time to come that we will have best from both worlds :-)>>... But that does not stop modellers from making ... erm dodgy>models in FS9 or FSX.Nope only they can do so much more in FSX :-) and for a modeler that could be fun ;-)>Nope you help with FSX ...I'll help with FS9 :-hah:-lol :-lol>Thankyou, there is lots of room for improvement... and I hope>to do so....in FS9 of course. :-outtaStill using Vegas? the Heathrow landing movie was a great one to Ed they should hire you to make product movies for FS9 that is :-outta>Airsimmers'? :-hah>>We will have two for FS9 I believe :-rollhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>>>I consider myself a serious sim pilot trying to follow FAR's and STARs and SIDs and whatever else I can cram into a simple flight. That's what I enjoy learning and I'm always looking to add that touch more of "escapism" reality to my flight sim. FS9 as faulty and ill equipped as it is does this much more to my liking then FSX has the ability to do in near future.<<<Absolutly good point Jeff, FSX is simply going to be better geared for that type of "hard-core" functionality.My personal experience with Flight Simulator goes back to 1986 or 1987 or so (about 20 years) and frankly I really enjoyed it then on my computer (Commadore64 I think).I really didn't feel there was much improvement until FS98, which I still have sitting here on my shelf.When FS2000 came out, that's when the most noticeable improvement in scenery was made, as we went from that poly-block to layered texturing. Unfortunately, FS2000 was a bit ahead of the available hardware and ran poorly on most home systems. FS2002 changed all that and was a terrific flight sim. The visual difference between FS2000 and FS2002 was best described as WOW, while the changes or improvements between FS2002 and FS2004 were best represented by WOW, while between FS2004 and FSX, wow would be more appropriate.Does that make FSX bad, absolutely not, based on everything I've seen its a terrific sim and is an important move forward with the franchise. I purchased one copy (FSX) for myself and have since received an additional copy from Microsoft/AVSIM. I gave one of them away to a friend, whom had never seen Flight Simulator before FSX. He is absolutely enthralled by it and has now gotten a couple of co-workers involved and they too have purchased copies.These fellows work for a customer of mine and now everytime I go into that business (a local Ford Dealer), they corner me to ask questions about this and that. Their personal comments have been very positive about FSX and its been the missions, wide-variety of aircraft, and the general overall appearance of the scenery that has them hooked.Are they wrong, of course not, they are precisely the core model of individual Microsoft was hoping to attract! (one of the guys was absolutely stunned to see elephants walking across the African plains or birds flying over an Alaska inlet)There's two things that are most important about rather I feel FSX is better than FS9 or the other way around. First, that's an irrelavant question which means absolutely nothing to anyone, they're both great flight sims; and secondly Flight Simulation is about flying and I enjoy the fact that I can chose to fly a Piper J-3 Cub, a WWII combat aircraft, or maybe I can jump in the Concorde and fly it across the pond, whatever, its your choice and rather I choose to fly in FSX or FS9, well that's my choice too, neither answer makes me wrong and neither makes me right either. Steve (Bear) Cartwright

>There's two things that are most important about rather>I feel FSX is better than FS9 or the other way around. First,>that's an irrelavant question which means absolutely nothing>to anyone, they're both great flight sims; and secondly Flight>Simulation is about flying and I enjoy the fact that I can>chose to fly a Piper J-3 Cub, a WWII combat aircraft, or maybe>I can jump in the Concorde and fly it across the pond,>whatever, its your choice and rather I choose to fly in FSX or>FS9, well that's my choice too, neither answer makes me wrong>and neither makes me right either. >>Steve (Bear) CartwrightSo true I myself started with FS4 and all versions after and development since FS2000...Had several version of Proflight too lolActually I do serious flying with all the charts / checklist / FS2Crew / Stars / Sids flight planning and weather trying to learn as much as possible about aviation and flying... Have Navigraph nDac3 for all my charts...Only I'm trying to have the environment close to real life as possible... so adjusting every sim to my local preference...Hence that did we also with our development which included factory drawings real life flying the real thing etc...But I'm also a graphical guy to so I prefer what in my eyes is close to real life possible... so that means a lot of addon stuff + tweaking as with every sim...I see the sim out the box as the framework to build on... So indeed it's all about flying...http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>Thanks Word Not Allowed- I'm probably going to get jumped on for this->but I don't see any differences!!>Alex Reid>Ha! That was kind of my point all along! To each his own.Hornit

I think the discussion is fairly civil. I don't think it should be locked. We have some major players contributing their opinions. This is excellent. I hope MS is following this thread closely.I agree with those people that say that first-time simmers will be impressed with FSX.I also would so much like to LIKE FSX. Unfortunately, the improvements are simply not worth it IMHO. Even after SP2, I see no reason to pernmanently switch to FSX - not with all the investments I have made into FS9.And yes, my pending hardware upgrade (read : NEW PC) will be geared towards running FS9 and LOMAC FC...(ETA 4th Quarter 2008).Just my 2 cents. Thanks to ALL for their inputs.

Guest fokker70

By the way Staggerwing, thanks for keeping all of us honest and doing such a thankless job of moderating the forums so it is fair for all.Happy Holidays.

Guest Staggerwing

Thank you Jeff....Happy Holidays !

Guest Staggerwing

>I think the discussion is fairly civil. I don't think it should be locked. We have some major players contributing their opinions. This is excellent. And that's the reason I say it depends on how it goes from here on out :-) This is not a new topic in the Avsim forums of course and once all the basics have been said, the threads tend to go off into rants and insults. Those that read the Avsim FSX and FS9 forums know what I'm saying... >I hope MS is following this thread closelyI do believe MS has heard it all many times before this thread :-)Wish we could just enjoy whatever screen shots were posted in this forum for the sake of the screen shot itself.Happy Holidays

Well there is no comparison to "The Stag", the best moderator avsim ever had.IMHOThankyou for your hard work and I wish you a Merry Christmas and see you in the New Year! :-beerchug.

Guest Staggerwing

Well THANK YOU guys... but how many of those beers have you had already ? :-lolYou know I'll always try and keep things fair no matter what rules are in place. I only hope that members understand that, and realize now and then they get deleted or corrected because someone else just got it for the same thing and I then have to check close to make sure there is the same rule enforcement for all.Anyway, for the most part, things are going pretty well here lately and it's because of the screen shot forum members doing it the correct way and making things nicer for all involved.Keep up the good work and lets have a great New Year here in the forum.Best to you all!

Just my opinion, coming from someone who is sticking with FS9 and hasn't even touched FSX. Some FSX screenshots look really... off. I won't rehash the old issues, people have already talked about them. On the other hand though, some of the things done taking advantage of FSX including photo scenery and other ground textures looks absolutely amazing! Now, I have no idea how those things perform, but I must say there is some envy from the FS9 side on things. Anyway FSX is not in my immediate future based on my system specs. I've just gotten to a good place performance wise in FS9 with this PC.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing the two sims, as long as the conversation remains civil. I had a lot of addons from FS9 which I lost when I moved to FSX, and I still miss them. However, for me, FSX is still my personal choice. Rob.P.S. I also think Staggerwing as done an outstanding job as moderator!