Sign in to follow this  
Guest draky

AS2 and 1.9 - Update or Sale?

Guest draky

Just this silly question for the day... will current users of AS WXre v1.9 get the upgrade to AS2 free or will we be expected to fork out more cash?Thanks - Dave

Dave - I believe it has been said that it is not an update but a new release and will have a cost. What and how I have not seen. Any updates to Version 1 will continue to be free but AS2 is a completely new product.This is what I understand - if I am in error - someone will correct me, I'm sure . :)HTH,Vic

So, if I read this right, I'll have to fork out more coin to have a weather engine that can perform best with FS9? I've only just bought 1.9 a month and a half ago and it's already outdated!! I haven't even had time to get it tweaked to the point I'd like yet.Not very happy about this prospect at all!!!

If you purchased a 2003 model car 45 days before the release of the 2004 model what would you expect?If you purchased FS2002 45 days before the release of FS2004 what would you expect?We have been telling EVERYONE that Active Sky 2 would not be free for wxRE users and we have been saying this from day ONE.At this point we have no specific date for the release of AS 2.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

I looked over the HiFi website and found that 1.9 was the latest version, so I purchased it. I found no reference on that site that there was a new version under development and had not visited this forum at the time of purchase.If I had purchased a 2003 model car 45 days before the 2004 model came out, at least I'd have damned decent trade-in! I wouldn't have purchased FS2002 even six months before FS2004 because it was publicly known that there was a new version in the works. Where else but here was it known? This was the first I've seen of it.You have excellent software that adds a lot of enjoyment to our passion of flying, however, it irks me that I will have to pay to upgrade something that I just got. If I had known that new software was under development, that was optimized for FS2004, I would definitely have waited!

This is a public forum.Active Sky 2 is not an upgrade, but a completely new program.Purchase plans for wxRE users have not been set in stone. It is still POSSIBLE that old users MAY get a break, but it WILL NOT be FREE.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest draky

Thanks Jim for your answer - I for one love Active Sky and would not fly without it, put me down for a purchase of AS2 when it comes out, no moans and groans this end. I guess some folk expect others to work for no reward - keep up the good work mate!.Dave

Guest BernBear

Jim, I can understand why people, especially those using the wxRE/FS2K4 combo keep bringing this question up. While I absolutely loved wxRE with FS2K2 and immediately bought it after a day with the freeware version of active sky, I do feel that wxRE is functionally challenged with FS2K4, even in the latest incarnation. So I can understand the people, especially those who bought wxRE for FS2K4, who expect a free upgrade or a very significant price break, since AS2 promises to be the first AS version that matches the wxRE/FS2K2 combination in functionality and realism.Now, I'm not trying to put down Damian's effort with wxRE and FS2K4, I am sure he he is trying all he can to make it work, but it seems the two are not getting along too well, due to the new FS weather system. For the time being I am using the built in Online weather, which while much less current and realistic, is much more predictable and smooth than wxRE. I'm hoping to get on the Beta team for AS2 or failing that, waiting for the release version, which I will certainly buy. Based on my previous experience with wxRE and FS2K2, I'm sure AS2 will be awesome, since it's designed for FS2K4.Best regardsMax (Bern LSZB)

Thanks to both of you for your kind words. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest sonjamichelle

>So, if I read this right, I'll have to fork out more coin to>have a weather engine that can perform best with FS9? I've>only just bought 1.9 a month and a half ago and it's already>outdated!! I haven't even had time to get it tweaked to the>point I'd like yet.>>Not very happy about this prospect at all!!!Welcome to the world of cmputers and technology. The day I bought my new PC I knew that in a couple weeks there was going to be a newer faster chip.

Just to clear the air, I fully support the efforts of those who add to our hobby. I didn't flinch the slightest when Peter Dowson decided to turn FSUIPC into payware and I gladly paid my registration to support his efforts.I also gladly paid to have a premium real weather add-on for my brand new FS9. At the time, I was unaware of the upcoming new version. I will also continue to support those who bring added enjoyment and realism to our passions. In the final analysis, if it comes down to it, I will likely also pay to step up to version 2 when it becomes available. I have no doubt that the finished product will be worth it.

>>Welcome to the world of cmputers and technology. The day I>bought my new PC I knew that in a couple weeks there was going>to be a newer faster chip.Couple of WEEKS! LOL - where ya been - seems like couple of DAYS be more like it. :)Vic

Hi all,Thanks for the positive feedback here and for sharing your opinion..wxRE was designed with the assumption that it would be for FS2002 only, and by the time the next FS would be available, 14 months or more would have passed.FS2004's early release was a surprise for us all.I was forced to make a decision. Obviously since AS2 was a long ways out, I had to make wxRE compatible. Unfortunately, as you all know, the new wx system features are way too different to properly integrate with FS2002-based designs. So the decision was to make wxRE as compatible as possible and when finished the results were very positive from the user base. As time passed, and everyone became more aware of the limitations of FS2004 w/ FS2002-based wx systems (this is common to all add-ons out there, not just AS), it became apparent that in order to make a "great" wx add-on for FS2004, it would have to be designed from the ground up with FS2004 in mind.And that's exactly what we've done. AS2 is over 8 months in development, designed specifically and exclusively for FS2004. Some things were borrowed from wxRE, but not much... AS2 also uses a private wx system that has cost thousands of dollars to setup, and has a very high monthly cost.All development has stemmed from the wants of the user base. Most folks, when they wish for features, don't think about the costs involved in providing that in the real world. I have to filter out what is feasible and go from there, and there is ALWAYS a high cost to pay to make these features reality. In my case I have been working 16 hour days for 8 months straight (longer than that, really, but I took a couple weeks off 8 months ago!), coding AS2, wxRE, WC2, not to mention providing support for 2 product lines (thanks a million to Jim Skorna for his help!), dealing with a business acquision, legal issues, vendor issues, publisher issues, etc... I have been burning the candle at both ends to make this a reality and the fact is that the ONLY WAY to facilitate AS2's release is to charge for it. Before every New Version release (this is my 5th commercial sim product release I have been involved in), there has always been some kind of demand from the user base to provide an explanation for purchasing the new version, and an expression that the upgrade should be free.Well, here's my explanation, and I hope you all understand... AS2 is a new version, has cost a lot to develop, and will cost a lot to continue to keep online (with the new server system).Please help us continue to develop weather simulation features for you! Purchase AS2 and know that you have helped support this development effort. I am 100% confident that you will NOT be dissapointed with your purchase.Thanks for your support!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Guest draky

Hi Damien,Thanks for your lengthy explanations - I for one appreciate all too much the efforts that do go into such products which in the end are enjoyed by so many. I'm behind you all the way mate! after all we strive for quality stuff which does not come without cost.Dave

Hi Damian - I've been in software development for over 20 years and am totally aware of what you describe. I also know that sometimes it is VERY hard not to respond negatively to some insensitive or unappreciative comments. I congratulate you on your restraint . BTW, nothing in this thread prompted that comment, I have read other "demands" from time to time.I honestly believe that the majority of AS users understand this and support your efforts.I also wish to express thanx to Jum Skorna - many times he answers a question before I've even formed it . Can you spell 'unsung hero'?Now, don't go blushing on us, Jim.Just MHO,Vic

Guest PeteW

Have to poke my nose in here as well :DI certainly wont baulk at paying for AS2. 1.9 is already in my personal list of essential to have files. I wouldnt consider flying without it.Very much looking forward to the release.All the bestPete

Guest Ket

I have to say this answer annoys me greatly. Let me explain.I am fairly new to FS9 and have been just starting to pick up some Key payware components. I found out about your product by going through the weather center route. I looked at weather center saw that I liked it and completly failed in getting it to work on my system. Half the problem was that although both on SimMarket and the Weather Center site the latest version leads to a dead page, so I had to use an earlier version. Who knows if the new one works I was not going to purchase a product I did not know worked especialy with all the *cough* confusion durring the accusition phase of the product line. E-mail to Damian and SimMarket was useless on my question of how to obtain the latest demo version.Ok so I figured ActiveSky was around for a while and although it had some issues the update was due out (according to the web site) any day now and I would just grab 1.9 early.I JUST BOUGHT THE DAMN THING TODAY! And now you tell me that I will not be able to upgrade to 2.0 without re-purchasing it? That would be fine if I had the product for 6 months but there is NO indication on your site that this is the case, nor did I know about the forums till it was to late. So since this is the case, how do I obtain a refund or should I just do a chargeback on the transaction.

Guest Jacek_KORD

Come on man, don't be ridiculous! Damian has clearly stated that this is not an upgrade but completely new product. Which part of that didn't you understand?He also stated that most likely the users of AS1.xx might get a break on the purchase of the NEW product. I agree with you and anyone else that there should be some kind of an anouncment from Hifi Simulations stating this on their web site, and I personally think that Damian should take it under the consideration.

Guest Ket

Had I known that I would not have purchased it is as simple as that. Not all the customers read the forums. Why would anyone buy a piece of software that literly expires in a few days weeks. It's a known thing that FS2004 and Active Sky 1.9 have issues. That they make clear. What they dont make clear is that your screwed if you purchase 1.9 at this point as when 2.0 comes out there is no upgrade path. I may be willing to deal with a price cut but they cant confirm that which seems err odd...Oh as a follow up simmarket finaly got back to me with the correct demo link for Weather Control 2_3 so I kind of feal I got double screwed LOL.

Guest BernBear

>Come on man, don't be ridiculous! Damian has clearly stated>that this is not an upgrade but completely new product. Which>part of that didn't you understand?>He also stated that most likely the users of AS1.xx might get>a break on the purchase of the NEW product. I agree with you>and anyone else that there should be some kind of an>anouncment from Hifi Simulations stating this on their web>site, and I personally think that Damian should take it under>the consideration.True, Damian has clearly stated that, but only here in the forum. However, he "average" user typically only visits a support forum once he encounters a problem with the product and then it's too late for someone who just bought AS for use with FS2K4.I can understand new AS customers who are disappointed with the fact that it is severely functionally challenged with FS2K4 and sound off about it here, even though I agree that some should rethink their posting style. Again, I am not attempting to troll or flame anyone at HiFi Sim, but I think at the present time, it would be a good idea to clearly inform prospective customers on the HiFi Sim website that the current AS version ist designed and optimized for FS2K2 and does work on FS2K4, but with certain restricitions, which should also be clearly mentioned. This would enable customers to decide whether they want to already buy wxRE for FS2K4 or hold off for AS2. I think there are still plenty of people out there who use FS2K2 and they will most like be very happy with the current version. But at the same time I doubt that anyone buying wxRE for FS2K4 will be very happy with it. I centainly loved AS together with FS2K2, but currently I am using the built in FS2K4 weather until I can get my hands on AS 2, which, based on my previous experience, I am sure will be another great product, most likely even more awesome than wxRE with FS2K2.Best regardsMax (Berne, LSZB)

To All,On the Active Sky web site there is a press release dated MARCH 12, 2003 announcing the development of Active Sky 2. THAT'S FOUR AND ONE HALF MONTHS BEFORE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF COF. Yes, it's in the title of the release. No, it's not at the top of the page. Why? Because customers have commented to us that they enjoy the layout of the page; with announcements arranged by date. I know that for some this will still not be good enough, but it is hard for me just to sit back and be quiet sometimes, which for now, I will attempt to do. Anyone have a technical support question?JimActiveSky Support

Hi Max,"I can understand new AS customers who are disappointed with the fact that it is severely functionally challenged with FS2K4"How so? Abrubt wind transitions? That is common to all wx and addons including default realwx from FS9. Global wx? That is a limitation of design of ASwxRE.From what I can tell, what folks ideally want is an add-on that uses all FS9 new wx features and solves prolbems inherent to FS9. That is why I am designing a new add-on. There simply is no way to continue hacking away at wxRE to make it work ideally. Look at the other add-ons that have tried this. There are too many design limitations. A complete re-write was in order. I cannot give the re-write away. It cost way too much to make happen."I doubt that anyone buying wxRE for FS2K4 will be very happy with it."Really? I receive many positive e-mails each day from FS9 / wxRE users. I receive very little negative comments on the whole. I can't agree with your statement.To me, the problem here is #1 lack of patience and #2 that some folks feel they have been cheated because they didn't know about AS2 and could have "held off" for AS2 and skipped wxRE altogether. Well, first of all, AS2 is still in development, and to stop sales of a current supported product (which costs money to sell and support!) while a new one is still in development is ludicrous. Think about it. Second, there is no release date set for AS2. It could be a month away. It could be 6 months away. Until development and beta testing finishes there is no way to know. Still want to hold off?Patience people! Why is there no solid price information or upgrade offer information? Why is ASwxRE still being supported as the latest version? Because AS2 is a ways out! Patience!It's my bad. This wouldn't be the first time I've messed up by being too up-front. Next time I will not reveal development information about new products. My thought was that it would help stimulate feedback and input from the user base for great new feature ideas. But this feedback will come to me regardless (thanks to all the great users who share their opinions!), so next time I will just keep things quiet until it is about to release. You all should know that I am always working on new things so keep your feedback coming!-Damian

Guest BernBear

Hi DamianThanks very much for your extensive reply.Yes, I'm referring to the aprupt wind transitions and the very sudden weather changes, which led to more than one in-flight breakup of the default lear, because of sudden severe overspeeds (400+ kts). That never happend with default weather in FS2K4 or AS wxRE and FS2K2. To me that is a rather important limitiation, but maybe I should have worded the statement a little less drastically.Again, I think you are doing a fantastic job with AS and I am looking forward very much to AS2, since wxRE and FS2K2 was such a great combination. And yes, people are always impatient once a new, improved product is announced, but maybe that is partially due to them looking forward to new product so much ;-)So, if you think my original post was too harsh or unfair, please accept my apologies and feel free to edit or delete it. And by all means keep up the good work, even though I can hardly wait for AS2, I promise to be patient :-)Best regardsMax (Bern, LSZB)