Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

Q) Where is the configuration file now located?A) It will be located in your personal Application Data folder. On Windows 2000/XP systems, this is located in Documents and SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.cfg (for Windows 9x users the path is WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.cfg). The Application Data folder is hidden, so you will need to enable viewing of hidden files/folders under the Folder Options in your Explorerhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest cf_sas

Hi,I actually have two instances of the particular entry in fs9.cfg.One is "DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.0" and the other is "DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.1" (the last one is way below the first in fs9.cfg so I didn't notice it first).In the display/hardware settings in FS9 there are also two display adapters showing up, but it seems to make no difference if i select one or the other.Is this related to having two monitors connected? If so, should i rename both entries in FS9.cfg or could I safely delete the second one?Any comments appreciated.Regards,Christian

Hi Christian.I too found a number of entries in Fs9.cfg.They relate to the number of times I installed different drivers.I would assume the cfg file is read by the system in order so that only the last entry is effective.I wold think (not sure) that you can delete all the previous entries.

John

Guest JonP01

>Hi,>>I actually have two instances of the particular entry in>fs9.cfg.>One is "DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.0" and the>other is "DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.1" (the last>one is way below the first in fs9.cfg so I didn't notice it>first).>>In the display/hardware settings in FS9 there are also two>display adapters showing up, but it seems to make no>difference if i select one or the other.>>Is this related to having two monitors connected? If so,>should i rename both entries in FS9.cfg or could I safely>delete the second one?>>Any comments appreciated.>>Regards,>ChristianYou might have two entires because you have changed drivers at some point. I know this happened wih me. I just deleted the cfg file and let Fs9 build me a new one after I had settled on the drivers.G'day Geof,Your discovery seems bizarre, because the only thing the display.cfg file does (or is supposed to do) in FS, is to put any relevant entries for a particular make of card into the display stanza in fs9.cfg. So a user could do the same thing by manually typing the entries into the fs9.cfg file. For example, if a particular card has dodgy transform and lighting, then when FS builds the cfg file, it put in the entry TnL=0, because that is what the display.cfg file tells it to do. Apart from that, all rendering options in FS9 now seem to activated by default unless they are specifically zeroed out in the display stanza. That's why you could, for example, have TnL checked in the sim, but no corresponding entry to say so in the fs9.cfg file.What I am interested in then, is whether your actual graphics card rendering parameters changed in the fs9.cfg file after you changed the title of the stanza.

I found after making the entry as described, after starting fs9 then rechecking the fs9.cfg, the original settings are reset.It seems to effect the second setting.Made the changes to read,(DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP)Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1After starting fs9 it resets the second entry back to the original to,(DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 .0)Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1What is required to keep the edit in the fs9.cfg without fs resitting it?

Guest Frank Betts

Neat! I picked up 4 fps from a known flight situation. Excellent find Geofa. When I went into fs I did have to reset the screen size back to where it was which is 1024x768. That was it.DISPLAY.Device. NVIDIA Drivers on Win98Mode=1024x768x32AntiAlias=1TnL=0

Guest jason2112

I find all this very strange ... as much as I hope that the mentioned tricks help to improve the performance of FS2004, I'm quite sceptical, and it does not work for me yet.While trying it out myself, I realized that the identification strings in the display.cfg (for example "NVIDIA drivers for Win2k/XP") are comments only. They are there to help humans identify the different sections. The mapping of sections to drivers is done by the respective dll/driver file name, for example nv4.dll for nVidia GeForce4 cards.So changing the section name in the FS9.cfg should have no effect at all - just as it did on my system. FS9 simply created a new config section entry with the name of my graphics card - a Ti4200, the same one that Geof has. I'd like to emphasize again that the section name in the FS9.cfg can't have anything to do with the display.cfg comments - they are just that, comments.I would really like to see improvements in FS9's performance as well, but I guess we're looking in the wrong direction here. Maybe some parameter changed when FS9 rebuilt the display section of the FS9.cfg, because it could not find the appropriate section for your graphics card anymore.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

Guest Sabadin

Looks like there is a setting for radeon 9500 and up. Looking through the display.cfg I found the following, DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 9x and DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 2k/xp. Well now all of a sudden my Athlon XP 1700 and radeon 9500 Pro system runs the sim smoothly in most areas at 1024x768 using 4xFSAA and 8xAF with almost all sliders full right and large numbers of clouds.

Hi I have similar Ti 4200 and tried your change but I am using win 98se Therefore I wrote in DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on 9x/Me with brackets under display. If you scroll further down you will see an identical line but this time for 800/600 res. I also changed this. In disply.cfg no mention of Ti4200. It made no difference. But I am suffering from large black and white squares lots of grey where there should be water and a very angular coastline. Also include unclear graphics. In fact graphics appalling. When run in ultra high scenery goes bright pink and green!Any suggestions from anyone. Microsoft baffled give them there due they phone every day to check progress and slowly update driversUsing win 98se dell 8100 512mb ram ti4200 geoforce 4 card with 45.23 driver and FS2004

Much smoother here with my Radeon 9700. I have also noticed that after making the change in fs9.cfg that it writes another line further down. I'll try the suggestion of deleting fs9.cfg and allow FS to rebuild it to see if it still writes that extra line. Regardless, this is definitely making things smoother. Now, if only Ati would come out with a driver to fix the flashing.RandallAthlon 1.4384 mbRadeon 9700Soundblaster Live

Guest hassata

Can someone susgest what to put in from the Display config for a 9800?ThanksP.S. Would appreciate exact syntax.

I'm at work, so can't answer this (I have an 8500 too), but:What is the entry in display.cfg for the 9800 (if any)? If none, then it might pay to create the exact same entry in fs9.cfg as another similar ATI card in display.cfg (and pick the one that matches your OS).Bruce.

Try at your own risk but:I have a Geforece4 Ti4200 card. One of the strange things I have found with fs2004 is it doesn't seem to matter where I put sliders-performance remains the same whether maxed or minned out.Out of curiousity I started digging around the fs9.cfg and display.cfg files.In my fs9.cfg I saw it named my video card:NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.0e.g. the entry in fs9.cfg was:DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.0Only problem is-I looked in the display.cfg file and found no entry that matched this?!I then changed the entry in fs9.cfg to:DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XPWhoah! What a change! Turning the autogen slider from max to min now has a huge impact!! (turning autogen from max to min changes my fps at my detailed home airport from over 20 to 10-before this never saw a difference!). Sliders make a huge impact now!Is it possible that some card users are being "left in the dark" by missing entries in the display.cfg file?Going to now tweak some working sliders in my case!I disclaim by admitting being no video expert by far-but something strange going on here!Athlon 2100+, 512k ram, geforce 4 ti4200.

Guest TOMCAT

Hi Geof,you're da man, ya know! :-cool :-wedge :-beerchugProposing you for a Platinum Award for flightsim excellence - no kidding here.Just saw an INCREDIBLE 180 fps (onehundredandeighty!!!) in spot view on the screen of my upper middle class system (PIV 2.4B, 1 Gig, GF4Ti4200 128). Thought I was going to faint. WOHOOO! Now I can start to fiddle around with FSAA again :-cool.Think this was better than buying a Radeon 9800pro (sorry folks, no offense here - hope someone will find a fix for your probs soon, your excellent cards definitely deserve it).Regards, Thomas :-waveBTW: How could something as grave as that miss the developers' attention... :-hmmm :-lol